• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bronze age horror mags

16 posts in this topic

Recently, a group of guys here in the area brought in a collection of late silver age early bronze age Horror mags from companies like Marvel, Eerie, Warren, and Skywald. There was about 250 mags, with about 15 early vampirella. I gave the guy $300 for the lot, (Vampirella 2,3,4,5,6,8,9 + annuals alone made me happy) and he was happy. When I started selling stuff off on ebay, I expected to break even with the mags that weren't vampirella. I am finding now, that the mags are selling on average between 3-5 bucks when I group them together, and I am making a decent return. Did I miss something and these things are more popular than I thought?

Basically you bought 250 mags for $300 - which is a heck of a good deal. It should be no problem for you to recoup your money and then some. (as you know by now)

It's probably not that the mags are "more popular" - because they have always had a smaller, enthusiastic, cult following.

Just sounds to me like you made a great deal initially and are selling them in lots that attract FMV - $3- $5 is about norm if sold in the right size lot. thumbsup2.gif

in low grade a lot of those books are usually only $2-5 in guide, maybe less. I used to buy a bunch from my LCS for like $3 each. At shows sometimes they're $2 each, less if beat up.

the early vampirellas ought to fetch a bit more.

it'll depend on condition.

factor in shipping... $4 shipping will lower your bid by $4

Anyway, unless they're falling a part I think you did great at under $1.25 each for these. I'd do that deal in a heartbeat.

You ought to easily double your money and maybe keep a few for your collection (if that's what you do).

Recently, a group of guys here in the area brought in a collection of late silver age early bronze age Horror mags from companies like Marvel, Eerie, Warren, and Skywald. There was about 250 mags, with about 15 early vampirella. I gave the guy $300 for the lot, (Vampirella 2,3,4,5,6,8,9 + annuals alone made me happy) and he was happy. When I started selling stuff off on ebay, I expected to break even with the mags that weren't vampirella. I am finding now, that the mags are selling on average between 3-5 bucks when I group them together, and I am making a decent return. Did I miss something and these things are more popular than I thought?

Any pre 1970 Eerie Publications?!?!?! hi.gif

Let a brother know.

Not a lot of pre-70 eerie stuff. Most of the pre 70 stuff was vampirella creepy and eerie (the warren title) I do have

Horror Tales November 1969 Vol 1 #9

Left to sell. I would put it at a solid Good Condition. (Though I must say that I don't know if I am considered strict or not. I could post scans if interested)

Most of what I have been listing is fair to good condition

Creepy, Eerie, Tales from the tomb, Tales of Voodoo, Witches Tales, Horror Tales, Terror Tales, Some mid 1970 Marvel/Curtis stuff, Stanley stuff (shock, Ghoul tales, Chilling) and a little Skywald (web of horror 1-3, scream, nightmare, and psycho) The Skywald Stuff did a lot better (7-10 a piece)

I did get a pair of Murder Tales and Tales of the Killers in the lot. Can you sell them on eBay?

If people are interested, I can list what I have left to sell, I can post it. I don't have a lot left, (20-30 mags) And yeah I kept all the Vampirella for my personal collection. I am not much of a Magazine guy, But I advertise that I buy "old comics" here in town, and these popped up. Normally I deal in Silver and Bronze age stuff.

factor in shipping... $4 shipping will lower your bid by $4

hey Blob, I don't disagree with really anything you said. thumbsup2.gif

I did want to point out though that there are ebay bidders out there who toss shipping price out the window when they bid. If they want something bad enough, they bid full guide and sometimes more than guide without subtracting shipping from the bid amount. I used to subtract shipping costs from my bids all the time, but after I lost several auctions due to that practice, I decided to dump it on the items I really wanted.

Shipping cost is just part of doing business on the internet. Look at it this way: if you were getting these items at a con or maybe the LCS, you'd be paying just as much or maybe more for admission, gas, etc.

Still, if I see an item I'd like to have, but can do without, I will subtract shipping from my bid . If nothing else, just for the feeling of "getting a deal" ....which can still be had on eBay. wink.gif

"Shipping cost is just part of doing business on the internet. Look at it this way: if you were getting these items at a con or maybe the LCS, you'd be paying just as much or maybe more for admission, gas, etc."

People who tend to buy low grade magazines like these tend to factor in every penny. I just won a bunch of these and they're less than $2 each as a lot. Other than the Skywalds, there are a ton of these.

As for shows and LCS.. i live in Manhattan, so I have no gas costs for my shop (and an unlimited ride metrocard), and I usually fill up a couple of long boxes when I do shows, so the admission and cab far get averaged out pretty quickly.

Given that these are hardly rare, unique or high grade items (thus making them rarer), price sensitivity is a big deal, so shipping matters in a rational economic world.

I agree that people sometimes forget about shipping, but I think it's more often that they just aren't good with numbers rather than it being conscious. how else do you explain neatstuff being able to charge a $1.50 handling fee on each of his penny books?

People who live in rural North Dakota maybe accept shipping on top of guide, they don't have a choice, people in urban areas don't necessarily.

Shipping cost is just part of doing business on the internet. Look at it this way: if you were getting these items at a con or maybe the LCS, you'd be paying just as much or maybe more for admission, gas, etc.

Keith, you know I love ya, and yeah, you would be paying as much or more for gas, admission etc. But who pays admission to a con or mucho gas to go to an LCS with the intent of buying a single book?

If I go to a con and pay the admission I will go away from that con with several books, all of which are factored into the single con admission. Same with an LCS> I will call them first to see if they have things I want (well, except for Steve Higgins at The Outer Limits in Waltham, MA. That was just a weeklyn pilgrammage but he has so much stuff I was interested in, outsdie of the comic book realm like videos, laserdiscs, paperbacks, fanzines etc it would have been almost impossible to leave there without multiple items. grin.gif

anyone know about selling murder tales and tales of the killers on ebay? Will they yank the auctions do to there "No murder memorabilia" clause in listing stuff? I have 2 murder tales and 1 tales of the killers that I want to get rid of, and I don't want to waste my time on eBay if they are going to get yanked. As far as Shipping, I tell people that I charge $1.00 more than whatever it will cost me to send it, to pay for toploads. I send all of my mags out in Collector Safe Magazine toploads to insure a safe arrival.

Nope I just have a Bright Yellow banner hanging in the window, and a "yellow Bird" sign. It works out pretty well.

Most notable pickups

Vampirella 2 4 5 6 7 11 14 16 1972 Annual

Fantastic Four #5

Swamp Thing #1

Amazing Spider-man 36-225 COMPLETE RUN

Batman #200

Almost all of the important Bronze horror. (first Blade apprearance First Swamp thing Appearance, complete runs of DC and Gold Key titles)

Tons of romance/love comics ( for some reason those sell hotcakes)

plus lots of decent stuff.

"As far as Shipping, I tell people that I charge $1.00 more than whatever it will cost me to send it, to pay for toploads. I send all of my mags out in Collector Safe Magazine toploads to insure a safe arrival. "

Nahhh, we're not saying you charge too much, it's just that shipping inexpensive books is expensive. so, you have 3 books that guide for $10 together and it costs $4 to ship, many an e-bayer are only, at most, going to big $6 for the books ($10 total cost). you only get $2 each, doesn't feel so great for you, but thems are the breaks