• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Popularity of Certain Art on CAF

38 posts in this topic

It's a really good question and one that I had not previously considered.

I imagine one might drive up the view count by posting a link in a forum like this, rather than posting a pic directly. This would force those that are curious to go look at it and each click drive the count higher.

Another factor might be the way I usually look at CAF. Let's use the Tomb of Dracula cover as an example. Despite searching regularly for Gene Colan, I would not have clicked on it for one of two reasons. First, it's probably not for sale and when I look for something from Gene Colan, I am looking for something to purchase. Second, even if it were available, there is no way I could afford it in this lifetime. Between the two, I won't click it.

I've actually found that almost everything is for sale on CAF for the right price. I picked up quite a few pieces by asking what it would take to buy it.

You have a point there! Tragically, the one I want is not available at any price (that I could afford, anyway).

I don't like to be bothered by people wanting to buy items that I have listed as "NFS" so I try avoid doing the same. Honestly, though, that [i[bringing Up Father[/i] strip was a giant exception for me.

Back to the topic, though, when I am searching CAF, the items I click on should be for sale and what I expect to be within my range, so I actually avoid the really nice pieces. My current search for art by Gene Colan is for a Nathaniel Dusk page. I have learned how important that book was to him and want a page from it for that reason. It is nice to have a page that collectors consider important or great, but this is a case where I want one that the artist thought was special.

In a similar vein to CAF (format is very similar), the 'Infected by Art' web-site is well worth exploring:

http://www.infectedbyart.com/default.asp

It's mostly fantasy-art-orientated (which I lean heavily towards), with the galleries available to either professionals or emerging talents (an artist's work has to be approved for inclusion, which eliminates all the amateurish cr*p that pervades CAF).

Some gorgeous stuff on display. :cloud9:

You have some impressive art in your gallery. I love the Daleks page. Such a fun piece of art.

Thanks.

I am pretty sure some of the most viewed items are manipulated. That may make some of the nicer pieces with less view counts seem neglected.

I remember when Jim D'Amico dominated the 'Most Views' category on CAF for a long, long time. I refuse to believe that the masses viewed the same handful of pages, week in and week out . . .

Don't get me wrong, Jim has a lot of great pieces . . . but five-figure viewing counts on most of 'em?

Another way the view count will skyrocket is if your piece is posted on a blog site. I had piece of art used for a Black Crowes t-shirt (just two crowes no T&A) and its my #2 most viewed piece at 6,098. I figured it got posted on a blog and the link sent the piece thru the roof.

I am pretty sure some of the most viewed items are manipulated. That may make some of the nicer pieces with less view counts seem neglected.

I remember when Jim D'Amico dominated the 'Most Views' category on CAF for a long, long time. I refuse to believe that the masses viewed the same handful of pages, week in and week out . . .

Don't get me wrong, Jim has a lot of great pieces . . . but five-figure viewing counts on most of 'em?

His numbers are insane.

I could never figure it out, are those hits helping him sell art?

I don't notice my hit counts, and I've a few AH pieces that have hits in the thousands. I appreciate the comments, especially from friends, but if they had 100 views I wouldn't mind one bit.

If you post a direct link to a piece else where...such as this message board it's going to get more views. That's pretty much a given. I did have a Star Wars piece that had been posted for quit some time that one day I noticed was in the top 5 viewed. Not sure if someone may have found it on CAF and recently posted it on a Star Wars message board or not. I know I hadn't pimped it anywhere.

Here is an example of what I am referring to. This is the TOD #10 cover featuring the 1st app of Blade. This piece is simply amazing to look at and a very important piece historically.

It was posted up less than a year ago and only has 876 views. This is incredibly low to me for such a fantastic item.

tod 10

Again, I know this site is not a popularity contest and everyone's opinions vary greatly from what they like. I find it odd that these pieces are not viewed more often then they are.

In the case of TOD 10, I think there are limited views because it was in another gallery for years, prior to being sold and posted again. I probably viewed it 20 times with its first owner and twice with the current owner, just because it's not new to me. The comments certainly aren't lacking at 28.

I have found just posting it to the CAF does guaranty a lot of views or comments. A lot of pieces get posted to the CAF every day. Many pieces get lost, when we do the Best of I am amazed at the pieces I missed over the year even though I check the CAF everyday.

I found posting to the Comicart-l and CGC the views and comments will be higher than just posting to CAF.

Agreed. Even if you check CAF everyday, once to twice a day (or more), if something happens to get posted on a day that some of the dealers who use the site as their storefront are posting pieces, it can easily get buried within a half hours time.

If you post a direct link to a piece else where...such as this message board it's going to get more views. That's pretty much a given. I did have a Star Wars piece that had been posted for quit some time that one day I noticed was in the top 5 viewed. Not sure if someone may have found it on CAF and recently posted it on a Star Wars message board or not. I know I hadn't pimped it anywhere.

Also I've seen 1 of my pages linked to on pintrest. I'm sure that can drive a lot of traffic for more popular stuff.

I've actually gotten emails from some CAF'ers offering to trade comments on pieces. Like it's a commodity. Can you just see a market of buying/selling/trading comments? Think of it. If you could establish yourself as 'The Desired One' so that everyone would want -you- to comment on their art, you could charge a premium. The whole thing could be funded by Bitcoin. ~massive eyeroll~

If there was an Art Adams sketch of Batman on a gargoyle with Powergirl flashing cleavage it might crash the site.

If you really want to get depressed look at the most searched for terms.

How does one do that?

resources > popular keyword terms

http://comicartfans.com/popular-searches.asp

Not so bad now, but last time I looked (probably about a year ago) it was "nude", "naked", "breasts", etc. doh!

Sad but true. 3 of my top 4 viewed pages are either convention sketches with nudity or bondage (not my core of collecting) while some impressive Silver Age Kirby pieces have only a fraction of the views.

Well. I have to assume that's just numbers. The amount of people getting con sketches, and sketched cover blanks, and other sub $500 stuff is probably greater than the number of people buying the more expensive vintage stuff.

Here is an example of what I am referring to. This is the TOD #10 cover featuring the 1st app of Blade. This piece is simply amazing to look at and a very important piece historically.

It was posted up less than a year ago and only has 876 views. This is incredibly low to me for such a fantastic item.

tod 10

Again, I know this site is not a popularity contest and everyone's opinions vary greatly from what they like. I find it odd that these pieces are not viewed more often then they are.

I definitely agree with some of these pieces having low views - however, I'd like to say that I rarely cruise around CAF without a purpose. I am usually researching art that *I* collect, and while TOD #10 is an unbelievably awesome piece, I'd likely never click on it only because it'd never show up when I'm searching for things.

Those times that I do find things like iconic OA covers, I usually do take a look at it just for the sake of looking - but it's not often.

agreed, its not particularly easy to just surf CAF, you need to start with an artist or subject matter key word most of the time, and colan / blade / dracula will be the focus of some searches, but not nearly as many as certain other combos

Not sure if I am in the minority, but while I'm not on CAF all that much, I do cruise around CAF at times without looking to find and make offers on pieces or see who has what) but just to see what's out there and/or what's been recently posted. It's generally limited to certain characters (or titles) and artists and when I am CAF I also usually look at the home page to see what's new, including Most Commented On and Most Views and in that way I feel like I get exposure to pieces I might not ordinarily see.

In so doing I generally don't pay attention to views or comments unless something jumps out at me as odd (like a great piece with hardly any comments or very few views). I echo what was said earlier that a bunch of pieces posted years ago (and maybe as recently as 2010) have far fewer comments than if posted today. Sometimes I leave a new comment on those and more often I don't (especially if the CAF gallery doesn't look very active).

I don't like the reciprocity or solicited CAF mindset. I still get an email from one CAFer a few times a year telling me in detail about the piece he just uploaded and asking me to post a comment. It's basically a Spam email that he puts together and then sends to a bunch of people each time only changing the name of the recipient. Or the emails saying "I'll leave you some comments if you leave me some." Ugh.