• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

God Hates Astronauts by Image Comics

114 posts in this topic

I'm a huge fan too. If you dig the GHA stuff, check out my CAF if you get the chance. I actually picked up the GHA Young Blood piece from him nearly a year before he chose to publish it. I was very happy to find out he used it as the variant to issue #1.

http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryroom.asp?gsub=149052

I wouldn't bank to much on those books. I am guessing the self-published books are from the kickstarter campaign?

This book never caught much heat when it came to Image as a monthly and there doesn't seem to be much hype around here. I also don't remember any mentions on the best of 2014 lists.

I have only read the first issue so I might be completely off but it just wasn't for me.

2c

Hey guys. Need to pick your collective brains. What would a 1st print self published and 2nd print self published go for. I have a guy looking to sell several and need to get an idea. Not many show up on eBay closed auctions.

The first printing is extremely rare, only 100 were ever made. Practically all of them were given to publishers and thrown out by publishers. Same with the 2nd print, which has a different cover than the 1st.

The 3rd and 4th prints are probably what you are referring to. These two printings have the same cover. The first 4 prints were done before the kickstarter campaign. The Kickstarter produced a hard cover book only collecting the first 3 issues.

The 3rd and 4th printings are also relatively rare. They say 1st and 2nd printings on the indicia because they were the first printings by Comixpress. The first printing is supposed to be more rare than the 4th but I'm not sure how many copies of each were printed. I believe a true 3rd printing would sell for around $100 ( I really haven't seen one of these sell because the ask prices are too high) and the 4th printings seem to be going for anywhere from $40 to $50. Some are asking much more than this on ebay but they never actually sell for that much. I have never seen a true first or 2nd printing sell. I have only seen one true first printing and I have never seen a second printing.

There is some potential here for value because of the extremely low numbers. Even if the book doesn't reach a huge audience it already has a significant cult following that doesn't really translate to these boards I've noticed.

Anyways, I am interested in purchasing a true second printing and a true third printing if you have them.

Edited by Comixcroz

Here is a post I made months ago regarding printing with pictures of the 1st and 2nd printing

That is an asking price. The good news for those of you who have them is, these 3 issues are heating up rather nicely.

Original series 1-3 $105

http://www.ebay.com/itm/God-Hates-Astronauts-2011-1-2-3-Ryan-Browne-Self-Published-HTF-OOP-/281434722096?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item4186d10f30

I agree - it's just an asking price and an aggressive one at that. I found the no reserve auction result on the 4th printing to be more telling.

Here are the printings to GHA #1 that I am aware of.

GHA_zps3c58bf82.jpg

The left is the true 1st print and the right is the 2nd print. These 2 books are extremely rare with extremely low print runs.

Then we have the cover that sold in the auction you linked. That cover was used for the 3rd and 4th printings. The 3rd printing does not have the Tim Seeley Pin-up on the back of the book. The 4th printing does. Both of these versions are also rare, but they were the first printings to reach a major audience. So the one that sold for $105 with the 2 and 3 was the 4th printing. The one that is priced at $600 something is the 3rd printing, and more rare version.

Then we have Vol. 2 which is starting now at Image. The first print and a soon to be 2nd printing, just announced from selling out.

I wouldn't bank to much on those books. I am guessing the self-published books are from the kickstarter campaign?

This book never caught much heat when it came to Image as a monthly and there doesn't seem to be much hype around here. I also don't remember any mentions on the best of 2014 lists.

I have only read the first issue so I might be completely off but it just wasn't for me.

2c

They marketed it as a true #1 by Image, but in reality it's issue #4. I think this may have hurt things a bit because I think to get the whole story you have to start with the original issues 1-3. These were reprinted by Image in a trade paperback but were never printed in individual issues by Image. I don't think I would have liked it very much if I started off with just the Image #1 and never read the original stories prior.