• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A second copy of CGC 9.0 Action Comics #1 on the census (7/22/14)

1,507 posts in this topic

So between here and groups on Facebook, I've seen quite a few posts of people saying they think the book belongs in a museum or wish it had been purchased by one...

I've been drinking so i got to thinking, what if the group were to Crowd Fund the purchase of something like this and then donate it?

For example, if we had 8000 people sign up and give $500 to the cause of buying this book, we would have gotten together about $4 Million. Granted that would be on the more extreme end of buying. One could Crown fund other, more realistic purchases.

OR... if someone started a Comic museum. Donated and Crown funded books/items make up the collection. There could be perks for people who participate in the funding of a Grail. Like a special Backers Weekend where you get some time up close with the books...

I'd give up $500 to be part of moving AC #1 into a museum, especially if i got the perk of seeing it in person, maybe a picture with it...

... then again, maybe i'm drinking too much again

It's tough enough to get 2 people to agree on something, nevermind 8000 people. Nightmare.

Yep. "8000 Boardies & a Comic Book".

sounds like a bad horror B-movie! I would love to see that.... lol

FWIW, a museum interested in having an Action #1 would be far better served getting a high grade restored copy. No one in the general public cares about the technical grade unless it's attached to the value and that's not really the way museums operate- pimping things because they're valuable.

Exactly. If I had millions, I'd open a comics museum (arranged quite differently from Geppi's), but even if I had unlimited funds, there would be no reason for me to want the "best" Action #1... a nice presentable copy would do, because I'd display it in its historical context... the grade would not be relevant. Now something like the "pay copy" of Marvel #1 would be different... the copy itself has historical significance, beyond its grade. And all grades are just opinions anyway... we've already seen lots of disagreements on these very boards about whether the other 9.0 is better than this one, whether this has had too much manipulation, etc. None of these are concerns of a museum.

The Pay Copy really IS a museum piece.

FWIW, a museum interested in having an Action #1 would be far better served getting a high grade restored copy. No one in the general public cares about the technical grade unless it's attached to the value and that's not really the way museums operate- pimping things because they're valuable.

Exactly. If I had millions, I'd open a comics museum (arranged quite differently from Geppi's), but even if I had unlimited funds, there would be no reason for me to want the "best" Action #1... a nice presentable copy would do, because I'd display it in its historical context... the grade would not be relevant. Now something like the "pay copy" of Marvel #1 would be different... the copy itself has historical significance, beyond its grade. And all grades are just opinions anyway... we've already seen lots of disagreements on these very boards about whether the other 9.0 is better than this one, whether this has had too much manipulation, etc. None of these are concerns of a museum.

The Pay Copy really IS a museum piece.

It has way too much history to not be included. I love the story to that :cloud9:

http://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/marvel-comics-1-pay-copy-timely-1939-cgc-vf-nm-90-off-white-pages-holder-of-the-guinness-world-record-for-the-most-val/a/819-2403.s

This is called the pay copy because it's the one used by the Lloyd Jacquet studio (aka Funnies Inc.), which produced the comic in its entirety for Timely, to record how much each contributor was paid, on which date and with which check number. For instance, the notation on the cover tells us that cover artist Frank R. Paul received $25 to draw this now-legendary cover. The existence of this pay copy didn't become known until Jacquet's death, and the inside look that it gives the owner at the very genesis of the Timely/Marvel line is what makes this one of the most desirable single copies of any comic book. Also noted on the interior pages are payments to Bill Everett (for the Sub-Mariner story), Carl Burgos (for the Human Torch story), Ben Thompson (Ka-Zar) , Paul Gustavson (the Angel) , and others, all dating from late July 1939. Yes, this comic is the first newsstand appearance of all four of those classic characters, and it's also the first comic book by Timely (later known as Marvel). As such, this is the beginning of the Marvel Universe and the entire pop culture phenomenon that that entails. CGC notes, "Publisher's record of payments to artists noted on 7 pages and cover in pencil."

.....well put, R........ there was a little bit of talk about the Fine Art angle in the GA Forum.... and I find the comparisons and different viewpoints to be fascinating.... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

..... it's in the Action 1 Predictions thread....

V

CycleGirl

I don't know you...but I nominate your post as an XLNT post. I am not the arbiter of taste for the world but I am an arbiter of XLNT posts!

:headbang:

Thank you. :) I haven't posted very much in a long while so I'm probably unknown to a lot of people. :shy:

Can I take some credit in bringing you back? :baiting:

You take credit for everything else. Why not? :devil:

Actually, Roy did send me an email out of the blue and got me to scan some of my books... Kind of got me thinking about comics again.

Yeah, that's cool. I just enjoy giving Roy a hard time.