• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A second copy of CGC 9.0 Action Comics #1 on the census (7/22/14)

1,507 posts in this topic

What I find funny with folks that post about "rumored celebrities" is that just a few years ago the "finest" existing available action 1 came to market and no one ballyhooed all the names (none of which are going to bid or win the book...I heard a rumor). Geesh!

Rick, Rick, Rick, don't you understand that celebrities have the ability to see into the future? :makepoint:

That's why Jerry Seinfeld, who apparently has been craving an Action 1 his entire life, has passed on every Action 1 that has come to market thus far because he knew THIS copy was better than all of them and it would come to market in 2014.

lol

In all seriousness, the man said in a recent interview that he only owns a few '60s Superman comics and "nothing impressive" at that. At age 60, he doesn't sound like the kind of guy who's going to suddenly get into comic collecting, let alone feel like he has to have the highest graded copy or that he has to give a flying :spoon: about concepts like page quality. These are notions that only people who have wasted spent years and years of their life obsessing about comic books would even conceive of being remotely plausible.

Besides, everyone knows that Seinfeld collects cars and cares about them more than he does about Superman. :fear:

Gene, the comic gods walk you into a room and offer you this copy of Action 1 or the Action 15 cover. Which do you walk out of the room with (disregarding resale "value")? I've also been wanting to get back to you with my impressions of the hardcover anniversary edition of Joe 21 but the book is still delayed.

Who is Y***I(66) ?

And why do they feel the need to respond to every bid with 5 days left?

A determined yet unsavvy bidder (shrug)

I like that somebody outbid Y***I( by $100 at the moment.

Whoever it is(y***I) they will be responding shortly I'm sure.

I always laugh when I snipe someone like this who has camped an auction from day one.

I wonder if an auction of this magnitude will have sniping in the final seconds.

Who is Y***I(66) ?

I always laugh when I snipe someone like this who has camped an auction from day one.

Guy with that type of bidding pattern always get sniped in the end.

I wonder if an auction of this magnitude will have sniping in the final seconds.

You can count on it

Who is Y***I(66) ?

You can count on it

Yup, this is where the action will take hold - this weekend is gonna abuzz over the last minute bids pick up the speed. This week now is just for tat to tit for giggles. When the last 3 hours of the action come up - things changes and get quiet, wondering who will up-bid next?

I disagree with the grade but then again, I don't give grade curves on keys or GA/SA era books. To me nothing with a tear and a stain (back cover or front) should get anything above a FN. FN+ is a stretch especially with what appears to be front cover color loss in the yellow near the spine and my GOD those are the worst bindery tears! At what point does a production related bindery tear become a spine split or just a normal tear? But since CGC sets the standards and they've already graded other AC 1's in worse shape at 8.5 and 9.0 it would make no sense to grade this one any lower. By CGC's lax standards, I could see this book getting a 9.2 or 9.4 on a good day.

Don't get me wrong, I think the book is gorgeous and without seeing the Church copy would appear to be the best looking one in existence and deserves a bid in excess of 3 Million. On principle this book and every other graded AC 1 should not be graded higher than FN+ or FN/VF.

Everyone is a terrific armchair grader when they are grading someone else's books.

If a tear or a stain keeps the book in the Fine range then what do you grade a flawless book with a bindery tear? A Fine?

The degree of the defect (meaning how large or small it is) has to factor into the grade, and in this case they are small enough to warrant a VF/NM acc. to CGC.

Books that are not 10.0 copies are supposed to have defects. A 9.4 is not a perfect book. It's a book with some visible defects.

Likewise, a VF/NM is a book that is going to have VF and NM qualities - not perfect.

Bingo. GA books get a little extra love too, otherwise known as the mysterious GA :bump:

Who is Y***I(66) ?

You can count on it

yep! Many complain about snipers, but bid CAMPERS I think are more frustrating... lol

Gene, the comic gods walk you into a room and offer you this copy of Action 1 or the Action 15 cover. Which do you walk out of the room with (disregarding resale "value")?

In this example, I'd choose the Action #1, but neither of these are items that interest me personally from an ownership perspective.

On the other hand, if you offered me this Action #1 vs. something I would actually really want (but which has a much lower market value), say, like the Daredevil #181 original cover art, I'd take the OA all day long and twice on Sunday (if resale were not an option of course; otherwise I'd take the Action #1, sell it, and buy other things I'd actually want). 2c

Gene, the comic gods walk you into a room and offer you this copy of Action 1 or the Action 15 cover. Which do you walk out of the room with (disregarding resale "value")?

In this example, I'd choose the Action #1, but neither of these are items that interest me personally from an ownership perspective.

On the other hand, if you offered me this Action #1 vs. something I would actually really want (but which has a much lower market value), say, like the Daredevil #181 original cover art, I'd take the OA all day long and twice on Sunday (if resale were not an option of course; otherwise I'd take the Action #1, sell it, and buy other things I'd actually want). 2c

You like the 1/1's. Nothing wrong with that, but what if the AC #1 were the Church copy in a 9.4 CGC holder? That is a once in a generation opportunity, good sir.