• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A second copy of CGC 9.0 Action Comics #1 on the census (7/22/14)

1,507 posts in this topic

Gene, the comic gods walk you into a room and offer you this copy of Action 1 or the Action 15 cover. Which do you walk out of the room with (disregarding resale "value")?

In this example, I'd choose the Action #1, but neither of these are items that interest me personally from an ownership perspective.

On the other hand, if you offered me this Action #1 vs. something I would actually really want (but which has a much lower market value), say, like the Daredevil #181 original cover art, I'd take the OA all day long and twice on Sunday (if resale were not an option of course; otherwise I'd take the Action #1, sell it, and buy other things I'd actually want). 2c

You like the 1/1's. Nothing wrong with that, but what if the AC #1 were the Church copy in a 9.4 CGC holder? That is a once in a generation opportunity, good sir.

I bet I could think of several hundred things I'd rather do with whatever the MH Action #1 would cost if it came up for sale. To be perfectly frank, Action #1 just doesn't do anything for me, personally; if I really wanted one, I would have bought one. I mean, do I really care about Superman? He wouldn't make my top 50 list of favorite comic book characters. And, while I recognize the book's relative rarity and importance for helping to spawn everything that followed, I would no more want a copy of Action #1 just because it came first than I would want the first Karl Benz automobile from 1885 instead of, say, an Aston Martin DB5, Mercedes 300SL Gullwing, Ferrari F40 and/or McLaren F1. (shrug)

I do understand why other people revere the book, but it doesn't interest me in the least other than being a spectator to these fascinating proceedings. :popcorn:

Indeed.

There are so many other things I would want Cover to ff12 thing 12 cover

nicest 62 impala on the planet amonst other things.

But of course I cant afford any of the above

Just took the bullet for you guys.

Asked if it had been professionally pressed and what defects kept it at 9.0 and not higher. I'll keep you posted.

You don't think any of the bidders who are qualified to bid over $3MIL would have asked these questions?

:makepoint:

Asked if it had been professionally pressed and what defects kept it at 9.0 and not higher.

Note the special "guest star" in the infomercial about this book, and look at the back cover scan for the answer to these questions. An in-house pressing (and whatever else) service has it's advantages! :acclaim:

You'd think a guy with over ten thousand feedback would know better than to get in a bidding war with over three days left.

I always wonder if these people somehow think that by countering every bid all through the auction it's going to automatically make them the winner.

I understand an initial bid, but why keep driving up the price with days to go?

Set back and wait for that final hour.

I want to see a guy no ones seen yet drop in with 3 seconds left, and snatch it away from these people who have been camping the sheet out of the auction.

That's how I get all my books on Ebay, Mandarin style, "You'll never see me coming"

You'd think a guy with over ten thousand feedback would know better than to get in a bidding war with over three days left.

I always wonder if these people somehow think that by countering every bid all through the auction it's going to automatically make them the winner.

I want to see a guy no ones seen yet drop in with 3 seconds left, and snatch it away from these people who have been camping the sheet out of the auction.

That's how I get all my books on Ebay, Mandarin style, "You'll never see me coming"

I've won auctions at a relatively decent price in the past by countering every bid.

There are varying tactics, but if someone wants to show that they are not going to back down no matter what, aggressive bidding can discourage future bidding in some instances. I'm not saying that is for sure what is happening here but I personally have done it myself in the past.

I've won auctions at a relatively decent price in the past by countering every bid.

There are varying tactics, but if someone wants to show that they are not going to back down no matter what, aggressive bidding can discourage future bidding in some instances. I'm not saying that is for sure what is happening here but I personally have done it myself in the past.

I've seen people use it successfully too.

I just feel it runs the price up a lot higher than it would be if everyone just kicked back and then threw the max they are willing to pay at it with 3 secs to go.

I guess if you have the kind of money to be in an auction like this in the first place, you're probably more concerned about insuring you win the book rather than saving a couple bucks by taking one shot at it in the end and potentially missing.

That last hour is going to be wild, and where all the real action will be at IMO.

My bet is a sniper takes it, unless it's sitting at something insane like 4mil near the end.

I've seen people use it successfully too.

I just feel it runs the price up a lot higher than it would be if everyone just kicked back and then threw the max they are willing to pay at it with 3 secs to go.

I guess if you have the kind of money to be in an auction like this in the first place, you're probably more concerned about insuring you win the book rather than saving a couple bucks by taking one shot at it in the end and potentially missing.

That last hour is going to be wild, and where all the real action will be at IMO.

My bet is a sniper takes it, unless it's sitting at something insane like 4mil near the end.

4 million might not be considered insane