• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pressing and Slab Damage

3 posts in this topic

Hey, it just occurred to me:

When books are pressed, it probably creates edge overhang on the vertical side of the

book (at least that is what seems to happen when books are stacked). This same edge

overhang seems to set the stage for CGC Slab Damage. So I guess, in the limit

as t -> infinity, cracking, pressing and re-subbing will lead to all CGC books eventually

suffering from SCS! yay.gif

Hey, it just occurred to me:

When books are pressed, it probably creates edge overhang on the vertical side of the

book (at least that is what seems to happen when books are stacked). This same edge

overhang seems to set the stage for CGC Slab Damage. So I guess, in the limit

as t -> infinity, cracking, pressing and re-subbing will lead to all CGC books eventually

suffering from SCS! yay.gif

i'm not sure i follow why only the comic cover edges would expand outward if the book was subject to lots of pressure from any source. seems that the book (in it's entirety including all intereor pages) would be pushed out as the spine got pressed flatter..........

now if the comic COVER only were subjected to extreme pressure/heat, i could understand a miniscule extension of the cover but perhaps only microscopic in size.

curious if others subscribe to the theory that the covers would be made to extend out beyond the interior book if the entire book were pressed..........

I think it happens because the actual length of paper needed to wrap around the spine is

lessened when the interior is compressed. Since the staples keep the wrap tight at the

spine, the excess pushes out beyond the edge of the book.

I agree it's not obvious that this would happen, but I have witnessed it with books that

are stacked for a long period. Don't know if it has happened with Mile Highs, it could

have been some specifics of the way mine were stacked I guess.