• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shanna - wow!

40 posts in this topic

My point is, I'm glad they're doing away with the nude version of Shanna because if that drawing above is any indication, we're liable to find some meat & potatoes underneath that loincloth, if you know what I mean. 893whatthe.gif

Last time there was talk like that around here things got really weird, really fast.

A Joe_Collector Classic!

Collect them all!

Having seen lots of the Shanna pages ( grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif), I can assure you that Shanna most definitely does not look like "Ka-Zar in drag." If you like Brandy in "Liberty Meadows" (or if you like women who aren't anorexic bullimics), you'll LOVE Shanna.

I saw all those unedited preview pages too and I have to say that I was far from blown away. To me a lot of his work looks like a good imitation of Dave Stevens at best and no better than the Dodsons at worst. I'm not saying it's bad...quite the contrary - because so much art that comes out these days is so awful, his work positively stands out by comparison. But when you start stacking the guys skills and limited oeuvre up against stiffer competition, I don't think he compares nearly as favorably - and certainly not favorably enough to merit the kind of uncritical deification he is getting these days. You would think the guy is the second coming of Michelangelo and Jesus Christ rolled into one from the way he is being worshipped.

I know this will elicit howls of protests from Maryland, Virginia and D.C. (and Supa out in San Fran) so let me just say in advance that we will agree to disagree. I don't want to waste a Friday night debating the merits of Frank Cho on the Boards. I think that positively hideous image of Shanna that started the thread should speak for itself - no, women don't have to all look model-thin, but neither should they have thighs like oak trees and breasts as big as their head. frustrated.gif

Having seen lots of the Shanna pages ( grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif), I can assure you that Shanna most definitely does not look like "Ka-Zar in drag." If you like Brandy in "Liberty Meadows" (or if you like women who aren't anorexic bullimics), you'll LOVE Shanna.

I saw all those unedited preview pages too and I have to say that I was far from blown away. To me a lot of his work looks like a good imitation of Dave Stevens at best and no better than the Dodsons at worst. I'm not saying it's bad...quite the contrary - because so much art that comes out these days is so awful, his work positively stands out by comparison. But when you start stacking the guys skills and limited oeuvre up to stiffer competition, I don't think he compares nearly as favorably - and certainly not favorably enough to merit the kind of uncritical deification he is getting these days. You would think the guy is the second coming of Michelangelo and Jesus Christ rolled into one from the way he is being worshipped.

I know this will elicit howls of protests from Maryland, Virginia and D.C. (and Supa out in San Fran) so let me just say in advance that we will agree to disagree. I don't want to waste a Friday night debating the merits of Frank Cho on the Boards. I think that positively masculine image of Shanna that started the thread should speak for itself.

Balki, can you provide reasons why you think his work is so awful OTHER than "it's bad"?

(I'm rather indifferent. I like his dinosaurs a lot, though.)

She's got bigger legs than most NFL running backs...

I think we will find out in Shanna #9 that it is actually Kazar with a boob job.

I can just hear Kazar now!!

"all natural my [#@$%!!!]"

I picked it up yesterday at the LCS. Nothing special. His art is nice and clean (as usual), and the layout is simple. I'll probaly end up picking up the entire mini-series and then sell it.

Anybody think the $3.50 cover was a little high? I don't mind paying the extra bucks for a book if it's worth it (like the IDW books - better quality covers, ads don't interupt the story, etc...), but this didn't have anything "extra".

Seems they just jacked up the price b/c people will pay for Cho. confused-smiley-013.gif

I read the 1st issue on Mile High's site. It was good. thumbsup2.gif

How did you do that? I only see the first 3 pages...

is there a "secret" for seeing the rest of the book?

It's under First look / Advanced Marvel Previews gossip.gif

http://www.milehighcomics.com/firstlook/marvel/shanna1/cvrpage.html

I wouldn't pay $3.50 for it, but I liked it. Just call me cheap....

It also was supposed to be a MAX book and have nudity.

Good Lord...Why? What is the purpose in that? Marvel trying to corner the comic nudie market?

As a comics fan, I'm interested in a Shanna comic but not a Shanna in the Nude spread...

Jim

I concur. I don't know if it'd be a good idea to have her in the nude. I'm sure she has a lot of body hair just growing wild. insane.gif

So issue #2 is out, and I am still impressed. Cho is doing a nice job of keeping up the suspense and action, while maintaining a nice "comic-book" feel to the story.

Oh, and the art is absolutely gorgeous (including the dinosaurs)! thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif