• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Overstreet 44 overview

71 posts in this topic

Interested in hearing what the market reports are like.

Overall, the "informativeness" of them has diminished in recent years. Some are bare bones and really don't say anything useful at all.

I find the "War Report" is usually very well done. :shy:

There is just so much information already out there -- on these boards and others, on eBay -- that it's pretty easy for people to see trends. Back in the day, it was a lot more difficult, and those market reports were crucial.

I don't disagree. Still, they were fun to read for the different dealer perspectives. It also provided interesting regional trends that are not easily discovered unless you speak with dealers from all over the country and out of the U.S.

Overall, the "informativeness" of them has diminished in recent years. Some are bare bones and really don't say anything useful at all.

I find the "War Report" is usually very well done. :shy:

:cloud9:

A long overdue and welcome addition to the guide.

-Westerns are hot!!! As are Funny Animal books.

-Classics Illustrated continues to sell briskly in all grades.

Finally!! Time to sell my Classics Illustrated. I'm rich!!!

I got the Batman cover. Only skimmed the market reports so far but it looks like business as usual: maybe a third thoughtful and well written, a third touting a dealer's big sales and a third that sound like they're trying to move product, along the lines of "Late 70s Gold Key Porky Pig is in constant demand!"

Are you implying that before the widespread use of the internet etc. the overstreet magazine could be used to buy up product before its publication, only to sell after its publication?

:devil:

Im still trying to find a copy. Since i dont have a comic shop within an hour radius im gonna have to just order mine online.... *wamp wamp*

"Build it..."

148812.jpg

:baiting:

...I know i know.....

The one constant through all the years, has been comic books. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But comic books has marked the time. This writer, this illustrator: it's a part of our past. It reminds of us of all that once was good and it could be again.

;)

Just curious. Won't get my copy for another few weeks. Did they put Heavy Metal back into the guide this year? They had it before. Still dunno why they took it out.

But according to the latest HA.com hype, the 2nd batch of Vancouver, BC Pedigree comics including close to 90 lots of mainly 1st edition Classics Illustrated will hammer over $100k. Classics are hot again just like the mid-70s.

I got the Batman cover. Only skimmed the market reports so far but it looks like business as usual: maybe a third thoughtful and well written, a third touting a dealer's big sales and a third that sound like they're trying to move product, along the lines of "Late 70s Gold Key Porky Pig is in constant demand!"

Daffy Duck, Andy Panda, Woody Woodpecker and Scamp as well. In ALL grades (but especially the 8.5 - 9.2 grades I tend to own.)

(If anyone is interested I actually have quite a few very nice copies of some of these books ... generally 25 or 30 cent cover price. Believe it or not, circa 2004-2007, before the Depression, I actually bothered to, and, in fact, did, sell these on ebay and they didn't do too badly.)

There is just so much information already out there -- on these boards and others, on eBay -- that it's pretty easy for people to see trends. Back in the day, it was a lot more difficult, and those market reports were crucial.

+1

The market reports were one of the first things that I used to read back in the day. Now it is one of the last things that I look at since I already have a pretty good idea of the trends with the CGC boards and everything else that we have at our fingertips.

Now the first thing that I look at is the OS Top 100 since it provides a quick summary and confirmation of the trends and what's really moving in the high-end GA marketplace. No change from the past few years on this go-round as the early Archies, early Action's with the Superman covers, and the pre-Robin 'Tec books are still your biggest movers.

But according to the latest HA.com hype, the 2nd batch of Vancouver, BC Pedigree comics including close to 90 lots of mainly 1st edition Classics Illustrated will hammer over $100k. Classics are hot again just like the mid-70s.

Second batch? Should we round up the consortium again? :insane:

Just curious. Won't get my copy for another few weeks. Did they put Heavy Metal back into the guide this year? They had it before. Still dunno why they took it out.

Brian, no Heavy Metal. Maybe they consider it too

"adult?"

Maybe. I thought that too, but they list titles like Warren's 1984/1994 and also the extremely adult "Gasm" mag. H.M. is far classier than either of them. I know it used to be listed. I still have two guides from the late 70s and H.M. was included.