• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

J. Scott Campbell CGC Sketch - Opinions Wanted!

27 posts in this topic

Hey everyone,

I recently aquired this lovely J. Scott Campbell sketch to add to my blossoming collection (thanks Mr. Mylar! :hi: ) and wanted some opinions.

I was looking at the sketch and absolutely love it, but I've been wondering if I should take it an extra step and get it colored. As much as I like the black and white aesthetic; I think JSC's work really shines once it has a touch of color added to it.

I kind of have my eyes set on Edgar Delgado if I'm going to get it colored.

What do you guys think? Would you color it? If so, who would be your choice?

SlXGyFol_1507141534151.jpg

Too many people ruin art by getting it inked or colored when it really doesn't need it. My vote is for leaving it in this case.

Thanks for everyone's thoughts. Laura Martin and Sabine Rich were also on my list of potential colorists.

I do agree with everyone else that it looks great as is and should probably keep it that way, but actually I did see your sketch and read the story about it on CAF kaholo, which got me thinking. JSC's lines with color just pops and turns into something really special. Sometimes I wonder if people are too worried of potentially ruining a sketch with colors to actually take the plunge (especially something like a JSC sketch), when going the extra step can actually significantly enhance the art.

Hmmm... hm

Thats the way I felt when it came out the way it did originally. Hope was always known for the ratty cape she wore from the future and a Liefeld like gun attached to her. Since he only does Headshot/Busts I needed him to focus on the cape. I know she's not a popular character but when he did it I just didn't see Hope the character. I saw every other female character he does with a turtle neck and the nose thing he does. For me I loved what Sabine did for colors as it didn't over power the sketch but enhanced it. She is a colorist that appreciates the art and those that did it. Her big thing is she gets nervous when doing colors for others work because she doesn't want to take away from the sketch. It's because she wants to enhance and not make it her own that I will always use her as my go to. Screw the grade and take it for what it is, art. If you want color go for it, if not and you believe a pencil sketch is best then leave it as is. Just don't stick it in a CGC carrying box.