• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Selling to Canadians...never had a problem until now!

144 posts in this topic

OK so I've been selling on the Bay for 12 years...have had a few oddballs and nutjobs here and there but all in all it's been good to me. And a good chunk of my sales come from our fine neighbors to the north. But I think I'm about to have my perfect feedback ruined by a crazed Canuck :cry:

I sold a CGC 9.2 copy of Iron Fist #1 on the 4th of July to this newbie for $125. I pack all my slabs in a ton of bubble wrap and mail in a Priority box. Cost is around $29...kind of high but hey I don't set the rates and it's the safest and fastest way to send slabs up north. So he pays quickly and despite it being a holiday weekend, I get it out in the mail on Monday the 6th.

A few days later he starts sending emails asking why the tracking number hasn't been updated. Since he's new (joined in April and 12 feedback) I explain that the good old USPS is often very slow and inconsistent when it comes to scanning packages and updating the tracking info. I mention there are many times where it doesn't show up until after the package has been delivered. We go back and forth and he just doesn't understand that. I apologize for the USPS and assure him it's on its way. Finally several days later, the tracking is updated and he sends a sarcastic message. I reply politely...apologize again (even though of course it is beyond my control) and say I am sure it will be there soon. Fast forward to today, and I get this message from him:

BUYER:

Dear gscharlach,

Anyways, the package took so long because cause of the BOX SIZE in comparison to the item listed is a comic book which has been in Canadian customs since the 15th. I'm being charged $27.10 in customs fee's simply just because it needed to be inspected to simply prove what it was. COMMON SENSE really.

MY REPLY:

That is extremely bizarre and has never happened before. I have been selling on ebay for more than 12 years and have sold literally hundreds of CGC books to Canadians over the years and ALWAYS pack them in exactly the same manner as yours was (same size box with lots of bubble wrap for protection)....additionally I always list "comic book" on customs form as I have been told by multiple Canadian customers going back several years that using that term usually lowers or eliminates customs fees.

Not sure why your local customs went crazy with this package but I am sorry to hear that.

Best,

Greg

HIS REPLY:

You just contradicted yourself in the same paragraph. You said you haven't seen it before but then you said you have.

"That is extremely bizarre and has never happened before. I have been selling on ebay for more than 12 years and have sold literally hundreds of CGC books to Canadians over the years and ALWAYS pack them in exactly the same manner as yours was (same size box with lots of bubble wrap for protection) "

"additionally I always list "comic book" on customs form as I have been told by multiple Canadian customers going back several years that using that term usually lowers or eliminates customs fees."

In other words you have seen it.

Excessive shipping charge and inappropriate packaging.

I did not accept the item, does it have paid return postage?

Hope that's best

MY REPLY:

Wow I am just stunned you somehow feel I am responsible for the problems with customs.

I carefully packed your comic like I always do to ensure safe delivery and sent the first available business day.

And no, let me reiterate I've never seen it happen before...ever. Never had a complaint.

Years ago a Canadian customer asked me to mark the item as "gift" in order to avoid customs fees, I did so but was worried it was illegal. Since I am a member of the CGC comic message boards, I posed the question on the CGC boards and asked the advice of my Canadian friends. The consensus was that putting "comic book" usually works for them in lowering or eliminating customs fees as it supposedly qualifies it as reading material. I verified this with a few of my repeat Canadian customers as well. So that is why I write comic book.

As I said I have been doing this for several years and get nothing but raving compliments on my packaging and fast service and not a single buyer has ever mentioned any problems with my packaging or what I write on the customs label.

How is my wrapping the slab in bubble wrap and packing in a box Inappropriate? I am a collector and pack the way I like to receive things...I have never, ever had a CGC or raw book damaged during transit because of the care I take. When a valuable comic is shipped from Florida to Canada...strong, secure packaging is a necessity...I am sorry if you do not agree. But again I've been selling for 12 years and experience has shown me this is the best way to ensure undamaged books and happy customers.

And excessive shipping cost? Sorry I cannot control the shipping rates. You were charged $29.00 and my exact cost was $28.47. I can email you the receipt from the USPS if you don't believe me. All shipping charges are as close to exact as they can be and are listed in all my auctions on the drop-down menu on the shipping tab.

If you refused the package I have absolutely no idea what happens, it's never happened before.

So I am awaiting his next reply. :popcorn:

Question though...I've never had a Canadian buyer refuse a package, what WILL happen? Will they send it back to me with postage due? Hold it in purgatory forever??

I guess I'm likely to get my first negative ever, not sure if I can call to get it removed since I fulfilled all the requirements. Comments? Advice?

You'll be able to have the negative removed and it depends how you marked the package. You have the option of it being returned. The buyer is still responsible for the customs, shipping and return shipping.

The charges are from customs. Believe it is a flat rate of like $20 for opening the box and then the taxes as mentioned. He got unlucky and nothing he can do about it. Part of the process of buying from a Foreign county are duties and taxes which are always the responsibility of the buyer unless otherwise noted.

His latest reply:

If it's been 12 years and you haven't figured out the size of the box for a "comic book" is what's causing it to be investigated and then charged a customs fee's is pretty amazing. I knew immediately by the boxes's size and the contents listed that's why there was customs fee. And right after I was told this can be disputed. I've never received a custom's fee gift or sale on a comic book, but of course everything comes in appropriate size'd packages.

Almost 50% of the total book's cost equals the shipping and customs. The "size" of your packaging is inefficient and unnecessary driving up the shipping costs and cause it the package to be INVESTIGATED size matters. If the package is out of proportion to the item inside, it's common sense to open it up and check it out, the investigation then repackaging of them item results in us getting charged a HST which isn't needed but this is what they get charged for.

I'm sure your Canadian customers would have been more happy if they weren't getting blasted with unnecessary customs charges

Unfortunately yes I do see you as having responsibility for this, your choice of packaging is unnecessary which is too large and unneeded if you used appropriate sized packaging then there would be no need for unnecessary investigation to verify that is exactly a "Comic Book" and repackaging there would have been no need for HST.

That's a great story you have but this is what's happening.

This is going nowhere so I won't bother to reply again to this tool...guess I should have just sent him the slab with the mailing label stuck to the bag. Perhaps that would have satisfied him and been more "efficient" and "appropriate" packaging?

Just ignore his messages from here on in. He obviously knows everything, and thinks you know nothing, so just do what you need to do, block him, and move on. Arguing with buyers rarely goes well, even when they're completely wrong.

Sorry, you're dealing with an insufficiently_thoughtful_person. God knows we have our share.

Canada Customs charges a 5% GST or Goods and Services tax and likely Provincial Tax if that province has tax and they add on another $10 for the Post Office to collect it. They don't inspect every parcel and the tax is hit or miss; size of the parcel doesn't really matter unless you mail it in a skinny envelope and that will lead to damaged slabs. When I'm assessed the Tax I just consider it the cost of buying comics and pay it.

When it comes back offer to ship it to him via UPS so that he gets charged GST and their insane border broker fee.

Just ignore his messages from here on in. He obviously knows everything, and thinks you know nothing, so just do what you need to do, block him, and move on. Arguing with buyers rarely goes well, even when they're completely wrong.

Totally agree (thumbs u

Just wondering what will happen with the book...?

Never thought I'd see the day when there would be a demand to pack items badly. It's a no-win situation.

On the customs form there is a field for what to do when delivery is impossible. It defaults to return to sender, I believe. I have never had it happen either so I don't know if you get hit with fees from the USPS. My guess is "No" for Priority Mail.

[yes please let us know the buyer's eBay name]