• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic-Con: Stan Lee Abruptly Cancels Appearance

126 posts in this topic

Is it okay to like Romita's Spider-man more than Ditko's? While Ditko does the designs and builds the foundation, I agree with the statement that Romita's experience in Romance Books allowed him to capture the everyday life of Peter Parker in a way that Ditko never could. Taking what Marvel and Stan Lee have always said about the character, it was the everyday life of Peter Parker that was more defining to the character than Spider-man, unlike Bruce Wayne/Batman where the Batman side is more important.

While I wish Ditko didn't leave after #38, yet it definitely worked out okay. Ditko was perfect for the awkward and gangly teenage years of Peter. Romita was perfect for the maturing of Peter Parker into a young adult, smoothing the facial features and physically filling him out.

This change was happening a bit under Ditko; after graduating high School, Ditko had Peter go clothes shopping, and instead of the blue suit, yellow vest and red tie, Peter dressed in a more "modern" style open vest and collarless shirt.

It was Peter Parker's personal life that made ASM special. I've said that while Kirby built universes, no one built a neighborhood like Ditko.

While most of Stan's books carried a supporting cast of about three ( eg: DD - Murdock, Nelson and Page; Hulk - General and Betty Ross, Major Talbot; Iron Man - Stark, Happy and Pepper; etc.) Ditko, and I believe it was mostly Ditko, designed one of the largest supporting casts for the time.

With Ditko, there was Peter, Aunt May, Uncle Ben, Liz, Flash, Betty, JJJ, Anna Watson, Anna's never-seen niece Mary Jane, Fredrick Foswell, Curt Conners, Ned Leeds, Harry Osbourne, Norman Osbourne and Gwen Stacy.

Even Aunt May's Doctor and Peter's teachers (both High school and college teachers were named Warren) would interweave throughout Peter's life.

Never had I seen a supporting cast this big, with each making their own unique contribution, and they weren't interchangeable characters.

I think Steve Ditko poured his soul into ASM, and his anger with Stan Lee wasn't over the Goblin / Norman thing. (That was a myth, as Ditko himself has written).

I believe Ditko was angered that, while Stan gave him plotting credit, Stan received the monetary compensation for writing the Amazing Spider-Man. This would go against Ditko's principles, making Stan the "moocher" in Randian terms (not mine).

This is an educated (I hope) guess, as Steve has never said publicly why he left. "Stan knows why" is the closest I've heard Ditko quoted on the subject.

Silver Age Amazing Spiderman is one of those "there's a time and a place for everything" situations. Ditko established the mythos of Spiderman brilliantly, and Romita took the character "uptown". The tone changed when Romita took over, but not really for the better or worse; it was just an extension of the character and where the book was headed at the time.

Ditko created the mood and the mythos of the character, while Romita, with his strong, clean lines, molded the character into what would eventually be, more or less, the corporate symbol for the company. Pretty good hands for Spiderman to be in.

In the same way that there's room for Connery and Craig to play 007, there's room for Ditko and Romita to be appreciated.

Yup. And Ross Andru ushered in the silly age of Spiderman with stories like the Mindworm and Rocket Racer and Big Wheel.....

Is it okay to like Romita's Spider-man more than Ditko's? While Ditko does the designs and builds the foundation, I agree with the statement that Romita's experience in Romance Books allowed him to capture the everyday life of Peter Parker in a way that Ditko never could. Taking what Marvel and Stan Lee have always said about the character, it was the everyday life of Peter Parker that was more defining to the character than Spider-man, unlike Bruce Wayne/Batman where the Batman side is more important.

While I wish Ditko didn't leave after #38, yet it definitely worked out okay. Ditko was perfect for the awkward and gangly teenage years of Peter. Romita was perfect for the maturing of Peter Parker into a young adult, smoothing the facial features and physically filling him out.

This change was happening a bit under Ditko; after graduating high School, Ditko had Peter go clothes shopping, and instead of the blue suit, yellow vest and red tie, Peter dressed in a more "modern" style open vest and collarless shirt.

It was Peter Parker's personal life that made ASM special. I've said that while Kirby built universes, no one built a neighborhood like Ditko.

While most of Stan's books carried a supporting cast of about three ( eg: DD - Murdock, Nelson and Page; Hulk - General and Betty Ross, Major Talbot; Iron Man - Stark, Happy and Pepper; etc.) Ditko, and I believe it was mostly Ditko, designed one of the largest supporting casts for the time.

With Ditko, there was Peter, Aunt May, Uncle Ben, Liz, Flash, Betty, JJJ, Anna Watson, Anna's never-seen niece Mary Jane, Fredrick Foswell, Curt Conners, Ned Leeds, Harry Osbourne, Norman Osbourne and Gwen Stacy.

Even Aunt May's Doctor and Peter's teachers (both High school and college teachers were named Warren) would interweave throughout Peter's life.

Never had I seen a supporting cast this big, with each making their own unique contribution, and they weren't interchangeable characters.

I think Steve Ditko poured his soul into ASM, and his anger with Stan Lee wasn't over the Goblin / Norman thing. (That was a myth, as Ditko himself has written).

I believe Ditko was angered that, while Stan gave him plotting credit, Stan received the monetary compensation for writing the Amazing Spider-Man. This would go against Ditko's principles, making Stan the "moocher" in Randian terms (not mine).

This is an educated (I hope) guess, as Steve has never said publicly why he left. "Stan knows why" is the closest I've heard Ditko quoted on the subject.

Silver Age Amazing Spiderman is one of those "there's a time and a place for everything" situations. Ditko established the mythos of Spiderman brilliantly, and Romita took the character "uptown". The tone changed when Romita took over, but not really for the better or worse; it was just an extension of the character and where the book was headed at the time.

Ditko created the mood and the mythos of the character, while Romita, with his strong, clean lines, molded the character into what would eventually be, more or less, the corporate symbol for the company. Pretty good hands for Spiderman to be in.

In the same way that there's room for Connery and Craig to play 007, there's room for Ditko and Romita to be appreciated.

Yes! Exactly right! :applause:

That's fair. I'm not a big fan of romita's work, but I certainly respect it.

Yes! Exactly right! :applause:

I concur. I hope my lengthy post didn't imply otherwise.