• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

killer books on the link.....

36 posts in this topic

speaking of killer FFs, I was looking at some scans and compared two #12s. Notice the green dots I added for emphasis. Is this difference within the "allowable tolerance" for the wobbly presses back then? I seem to recall a truce over agreeing and disagreeing about comic width's variances, but what do you guys think about these two samples....

669813-ff12A.jpg

669813-ff12A.jpg.06ad9b57523df8ab6fc94666bad9ccf7.jpg

I think it's impossible to discern right side trimming based on the cover width of early Marvels. They seem to have been printed with considerable variability.

Check out the scan of this FF12 that was sold on the Link - its width matches that of the "suspect" 9.2 you posted, only left-shifted about a quarter inch:

another narrow FF12

it looks somewhere in between in width. But I agree with you, I tried to phrase my query as fairly as possible, given the almost 1/8th difference in width, plus the total lack of pages extending beyond the cover. An eighth inch seems like a lot though for variance dont it?

it looks somewhere in between in width. But I agree with you, I tried to phrase my query as fairly as possible, given the almost 1/8th difference in width, plus the total lack of pages extending beyond the cover. An eighth inch seems like a lot though for variance dont it?

considering that the left edges of your two examples are almost identical, that's a pretty amazing difference on the right edge........... blush.gif

i can't see namisgr's example because i keep getting kicked off the internet - what a hassle.............

George:

I sold them over a year ago, they've gone through 2 hands so far and they are back up for sale again. So if somebody wants to know what I would sell them for they could have used my first sale prices of them as a starting point. Obviously I sold them too cheap, OMG, somebody made some money buying books from me!

I'm guessing that somebody is asking whether I think the seller is overpricing them

Unfortunately, seeing these books up for sale again seems to validate more and more your point that NO ONE seems to be COLLECTING anymore. While I realize this is not TRUE (I know several board members who almost never sell), some of these were considered PRIZE books to have. How did the COLLECTORS get so disinterested in them this soon?

Of course with sites like ComicLink and Pedigree Comics (to name a few), you can PUT your BOOKS up for SALE at extremely high prices, without ever really giving up the book. So it's still a collection book until someone pays the price, right?

speaking of killer FFs, I was looking at some scans and compared two #12s. Notice the green dots I added for emphasis. Is this difference within the "allowable tolerance" for the wobbly presses back then? I seem to recall a truce over agreeing and disagreeing about comic width's variances, but what do you guys think about these two samples....

669813-ff12A.jpg

The FF#12 seem to be notorious for bad cuts. Here's a 7.5 I use to own and just look how much is missing on the right edge.

Label2.jpg

George:

I sold them over a year ago, they've gone through 2 hands so far and they are back up for sale again. So if somebody wants to know what I would sell them for they could have used my first sale prices of them as a starting point. Obviously I sold them too cheap, OMG, somebody made some money buying books from me!

I'm guessing that somebody is asking whether I think the seller is overpricing them

Unfortunately, seeing these books up for sale again seems to validate more and more your point that NO ONE seems to be COLLECTING anymore. While I realize this is not TRUE (I know several board members who almost never sell), some of these were considered PRIZE books to have. How did the COLLECTORS get so disinterested in them this soon?

Of course with sites like ComicLink and Pedigree Comics (to name a few), you can PUT your BOOKS up for SALE at extremely high prices, without ever really giving up the book. So it's still a collection book until someone pays the price, right?

You know its got to be tough to sit on a book that's worth $15K-$20K when you see a ton of other books that have caught our eye. I could put together a nice TTA run in 9.4 with that kind of money (probably 30+ issues). Its just too damn expensive these days to collect extensive HG runs for probably 97% of the population so what do you do? Every week I see 2 or 3 books I'd love to have, it never ends. insane.gif

An eighth inch seems like a lot though for variance dont it?

Not when you consider how many early Marvels came out of their stellar production process with covers bearing massive tears, chips, miswraps, overhangs, pages sticking out, staples placed almost halfway to China, etc....

893whatthe.gif dude! that scan hurts my eyes. 893whatthe.gif

The scan looks perfect to me... yeahok.gif

all joking aside, that's a great example (it's even worse then Aman's example) of how much difference there can be in the dimensions of an untrimmed book. i used to think that i could detect trimming by the lining up certain key landmarks on the book and basing my decision on size. after a year on this board it's become quite clear that isn't necessarily true................

having said that, i'm going to post 2 pictures today of an EVEN MORE REMARKABLE example in the restoration thread - please visit and comment - thanks......... thumbsup2.gif

It actually seems like a little to me, considering how non-anal-retentive collectors were back then as compared to now. The only real incentive they had to keep the variances in check was to make sure they could stack fairly neatly in a bundle, right? As long as they didn't vary by much more than half-an-inch, that shouldn't be much of a problem.

Comics aren't car parts...didn't much matter if there were fractions-of-an-inch variances.

It actually seems like a little to me, considering how non-anal-retentive collectors were back then as compared to now. The only real incentive they had to keep the variances in check was to make sure they could stack fairly neatly in a bundle, right? As long as they didn't vary by much more than half-an-inch, that shouldn't be much of a problem.

Comics aren't car parts...didn't much matter if there were fractions-of-an-inch variances.

I really dont follow you at all, FF.... collectors don't keep variances in check. thats the printer's job. Either the comics left Sparta varying in width by up to 1/4"... or some of them have been trimmed since.