• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC case damage, and it's impact on value.

31 posts in this topic

divad: your signature line says you claim 41 competitive registry sets that include 96 slabs. I'm not sure if these are slabs you've owned at one time but no longer do, or what, but it's right there in your signature and the only way stuff gets in there is if you put it there, not CGC.

Uh oh.... get ready for him to call you a 'doofus' too!

divad: your signature line says you claim 41 competitive registry sets that include 96 slabs. I'm not sure if these are slabs you've owned at one time but no longer do, or what, but it's right there in your signature and the only way stuff gets in there is if you put it there, not CGC.

I've been wearing my special helmet for the last hour or so. ;)

Sometimes I really wonder about people. One of the main features of the registry is that we can see each other's collections. The CGC page let's you search by username, then look at what people have. Why be defensive about it, especially if you're then going to post that info in your signature line? (shrug)

The only explanation I could come up with is that he has bought and sold all those books, or these are his original submissions that he has since sold. In either case, if you don't currently own them then release them from your registry set. I'd be happy to hear whatever clarification there may be. I certainly don't see any justification for calling you a "doofus" over it, but maybe we are all from different planets.

G -

All of the books in my signature line were slabbed from raw copies in my collection, almost all of them OO's. The fact that I have sold most of them doesn't change a thing. In fact, they have arguably greater significance (in the grand scheme of things) than if someone goes out and buys a slab and adds it to their registry set. The bulk of the new owners apparently don't have registry sets and haven't requested transfer. I immediately transfer upon request, but that doesn't occur too often, probabbly only about 30% of the time. - it's a big world out there beyond these boards. :grin:

-D

Sometimes I really wonder about people. One of the main features of the registry is that we can see each other's collections. The CGC page let's you search by username, then look at what people have. Why be defensive about it, especially if you're then going to post that info in your signature line? (shrug)

The only explanation I could come up with is that he has bought and sold all those books, or these are his original submissions that he has since sold. In either case, if you don't currently own them then release them from your registry set. I'd be happy to hear whatever clarification there may be. I certainly don't see any justification for calling you a "doofus" over it, but maybe we are all from different planets.

Couldn't wait for an answer? Sometimes I really wonder about people. ;)

I might also point out that there were numerous books I slabbed during my first five years on the boards, which (together with those that have been transferred) are not included in my sig line sets. I didn't even know there was such a thing as a "registry set". lol

G -

All of the books in my signature line were slabbed from raw copies in my collection, almost all of them OO's. The fact that I have sold most of them doesn't change a thing. In fact, they have arguably greater significance (in the grand scheme of things) than if someone goes out and buys a slab and adds it to their registry set. The bulk of the new owners apparently don't have registry sets and haven't requested transfer. I immediately transfer upon request, but that doesn't occur too often, probabbly only about 30% of the time. - it's a big world out there beyond these boards. :grin:

-D

That's understandable, and I kind of like it as an unofficial "tomato box" pedigree.

However, most people I know who use the Registry use it as a catalog of their current collection, so it was perfectly logical for Bill1 to infer that you currently owned all those books and needed to clarify the apparent contradiction when you said you only had 10 or so.

Couldn't wait for an answer? Sometimes I really wonder about people. ;)

(thumbs u

indeed ...

I just bought a slab with cracked case... got a deal .. and my plan all along was to crack it open and reslab it ... maybe press it too... savings were good.. also a copper book ...if it was a Silver Age book it would need to be a good deal as it cost more to slab...

just my 2c

I don't like it when someone offers 12.00 to compensate for cracked slab. The shipping back and forth will surely cost a lot more than that. Also, people don't seem to realize that CGC will not always simply reholder the book. If their is enough damage to the outer well, especially to a post, they will need to regrade it.

This is quite true. If a slab is cracked, disclose it beforehand. If a slab is damaged in mailing, accept the return, and refund the money.

Btw, I have never had a slab cracked in mailing. I package way too well for that to occur.

G -

-D

That's understandable, and I kind of like it as an unofficial "tomato box" pedigree.

However, most people I know who use the Registry use it as a catalog of their current collection, so it was perfectly logical for Bill1 to infer that you currently owned all those books and needed to clarify the apparent contradiction when you said you only had 10 or so.

People can use the registry for whatever they choose. It's fun! My responses to Bill1 were based on his litany of posts directed at me implying that something was not on the up and up, culminating in my "affectionate moniker" for him. :grin:

I just bought a slab with cracked case... got a deal .. and my plan all along was to crack it open and reslab it ... maybe press it too... savings were good.. also a copper book ...if it was a Silver Age book it would need to be a good deal as it cost more to slab...

just my 2c

Always a good way to score a bargain. (thumbs u