• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

List of Art Known to be Destroyed?

30 posts in this topic

I've dealt with Beerbohm before and some of his claims seemed dubious.

His story of buying a 'car trunk load of OA' from Jack Kirby at a comic con parking lot in the 70s had me intrigued tho - can anyone confirm if this (these) practice(s) happened?

I wish that was me :)

His story of buying a 'car trunk load of OA' from Jack Kirby at a comic con parking lot in the 70s had me intrigued tho - can anyone confirm if this (these) practice(s) happened?

This is how the game of telephone goes south really fast. He didn't buy art from Kirby. He bought Kirby artwork from some people who had it the trunk of a car. There was also other artwork in that pile -- I'm fuzzy on what exactly it was, but it was whatever was popular then from Marvel and DC. And outside of being there myself (I wasn't) I can say that his story lines up with other similar stories I heard about artwork from the late '60s and early '70s.

Scads was destroyed from Calkins buck rogers to a lot of Frank King's Gasoline Alley- these were done by the artists themselves. Most Chicago Tribune Sunday pages from mid 1940's through late 60's were cut up and repasted often with the loss of panels. The history of comic art for decades was the destruction of it. When I was working on a guidebook for collecting comic art in the 1990s I had over a page of major comic art destructions over the years as well as 95+ pages of art archived (most of it boxes listed in in linear shelf feet) and this off the market

At some point that all should be published maybe as an ebook

Best George Hagenauer

This is how the game of telephone goes south really fast. He didn't buy art from Kirby. He bought Kirby artwork from some people who had it the trunk of a car. There was also other artwork in that pile -- I'm fuzzy on what exactly it was, but it was whatever was popular then from Marvel and DC. And outside of being there myself (I wasn't) I can say that his story lines up with other similar stories I heard about artwork from the late '60s and early '70s.

Thanks for clarifying, Glen (thumbs u

Scads was destroyed from Calkins buck rogers to a lot of Frank King's Gasoline Alley- these were done by the artists themselves. Most Chicago Tribune Sunday pages from mid 1940's through late 60's were cut up and repasted often with the loss of panels. The history of comic art for decades was the destruction of it. When I was working on a guidebook for collecting comic art in the 1990s I had over a page of major comic art destructions over the years as well as 95+ pages of art archived (most of it boxes listed in in linear shelf feet) and this off the market

Best George Hagenauer

I'm a fan of your collection and insights George, good to see you on the boards!

Best George Hagenauer

I'm a fan of your collection and insights George, good to see you on the boards!

+1

:hi:

This doesn't advance this thread but by way of an anecdote: I wasn't told who the story was about but in the late 90s in one of my discussions with George and Dorothy Tuska (very nice people), Dorothy said that they had an artist friend in the 70s who she remembered used to just keep a large pile of art in his basement, basically forgotten and collecting dust and mold.

I think I have accounted for all but one of the pages to Amazing Spider-Man 6 over the years, so i am pretty sure their all out there, even if some might have chunks missing or a bit of a corner chewed. Tony Christopher had the top 3rd of the FF 5 page one splash recreated by Joe Sinnott, i seem to recall.