• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

List of Art Known to be Destroyed?

30 posts in this topic

Discussion on the boards often turns to art which is not known to exist. But what about the art that is known not to exist?

I have heard of some books destroyed in fires. A key X-men title (not sure if it was X-Men 94 or Giant-Size). Also heard of the Spectacular Spider-man #2 being destroyed in a fire (or was it only a rumor about the cover, which later surfaced?)

And I've heard stories which might be apocryphal of visitors to Ditko's office being horrified by the sight of marvel art cut up for reuse.

I've heard of other "lost" pieces but can't recall them all. Not sure if any of those are true.

Has anyone compiled a list of art that is certifiably gone?

Is it the Hulk 181 cover that was destroyed? Heard mixed reports on that. Also, the FF 5 complete interiors were found by a dog and chewed on before the owner realized it; much of the book (earlier pages) had the top half torn off and damaged, including the page 1 splash of Doom that was later redrawn and reattached.

It always seems like this info regarding this stuff is highly inaccurate.

I know people who own pages of the Spidey issue. I also have a buddy who has the double page spread from the Wizard King which has partially been consumed by fire, I've held it in my hands....

The Gil Kane cover to Jungle Action 24 is definitely 100% gone.

What did you do to it?

Nothing. It was one of the originals lost in Erik Larsen's fire. I'd been searching for it for years and he confirmed to me it was destroyed.

Is it the Hulk 181 cover that was destroyed? Heard mixed reports on that. Also, the FF 5 complete interiors were found by a dog and chewed on before the owner realized it; much of the book (earlier pages) had the top half torn off and damaged, including the page 1 splash of Doom that was later redrawn and reattached.

Someone posted (I believe in the Hulk 180 auction thread) that 181 (interiors for sure, not sure if the cover was included) were water damaged from the house fire, but did survive and the owner was currently weighing restoration options.

I'm pretty sure Burkey said something was going on with the damaged but NOT destroyed hulk 181 pages. I thought it had also come out that the 181 cover wasn't with the interiors but has long been out there somewhere.

I read somewhere that Ditko's cover to ASM # 8 got destroyed in Bill Pearson's house fire . . . along with an archive of Wally Wood art.

Don Lineberger's collection met a similar fate (which also took the life of Don), though a number of EC covers survived the blaze (some of which have scorch/smoke damage).

Someone posted (I believe in the Hulk 180 auction thread) that 181 (interiors for sure, not sure if the cover was included) were water damaged from the house fire, but did survive and the owner was currently weighing restoration options.

Spidey 6 was chewed on by a dog.

You're right about the Hulk 181 -- I confirmed with the owner of the Hulk 181 interior that it was damaged but restorable and that he had one page restored as a test.

Actually, maybe it was Spidey 6 I was thinking of with the god! FF 5 also had damage in the way I mentioned, but not sure how it happened.

Spidey 6 was definitely the dog - no doubt about it.

One of the FF 5 splashes (the first one I believe) had a large part missing (don't think that a dog was involved).

Any of the FF pages that I saw years ago were in great shape.

Actually, maybe it was Spidey 6 I was thinking of with the god! FF 5 also had damage in the way I mentioned, but not sure how it happened.

Right. Spidey 6 was chewed on by a dog after UPS left it on the recipient's porch.

FF 5 is more of a mystery. The first three pages all had the top 1/3 torn off. The rest of the book is fine. An old issue of the JKC says that someone who worked in the warehouse said that the guy who ran it hazed people my making them tear up art. I've never heard this before or since, or seen other artwork similarly torn, but the warehouse worker cited FF 5 as an example.

But neither of those are lost.

Around 1995, pages of the Ghost that Rode a Roller Coaster, by Kirby, were thrown out by the recipient when the dealer packed them between pieces of cardboard that he thought was just packagine. I think (but I'm not sure) a page from Monstrollo was in there, too.

Whatever Bob Beerbohm lost in the 1986 flood. I don't think there's a list, but he's referred to it many times.

I've dealt with Beerbohm before and some of his claims seemed dubious.

His story of buying a 'car trunk load of OA' from Jack Kirby at a comic con parking lot in the 70s had me intrigued tho - can anyone confirm if this (these) practice(s) happened?