• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SDCC Goodies

4 posts in this topic

SDCC has come and gone, and it was a great experience! Highlights as always are the people, both collectors and artists that you get to spend time with discussing our mutual obsession. Everyone seemed to be in good spirits, and honestly, I couldn't point to a single negative interaction the entire time.

As far as art, nothing major but did pick up a few small things. There is so much nice art out there it really tests me. I want to stay focused on just a few things but sometimes I go off the reservation impulsively! If I had unlimited cash, there would have been even more art updates in this little report to be sure. Would have loved to pick up the JSA #1 Alex Ross cover for one.

Anyhow, I put all my new sketches in their own folder for ease of overview and perusal.

Sketch Series SDCC Edition!

The only other art purchase of special note was this Red Rain page. The page looked amazing but had a bit of a downside. The last panel, which is perhaps the strongest and most impactful of the book, was a stat. It was placed over the original art though. When I got the page home, it seemed easy enough to lift off of the page, to reveal Kelley Jones' original art underneath, and wow! What an image! If I have the page framed I'm not quite sure how to handle. Maybe place the word balloons back on the panel as drawn? I don't know yet, but it's such great art I don't think I can cover it back up. On top of all of that there is a little sketch series of Conan v. The Sandman drawn on the back (is this the perfect page for me to have bought or what?) So I put together a folder of images just to show off the page in all its iterations:

Batman & Dracula Red Rain Page

Great to rekindle old friendships and make some new ones! See you guys around...

J

that is an amazing red rain page. but I can see the reason for the stat. the original image of batman is nice but his long arms are so creepy. so they just had the panel blown up. but the back page art. is a sweet bonus. congrats.

larry.

Good hanging out with you again, Jon!

That Red Rain page is amazing. It's a big bonus that the stat is a zoomed in version of the art underneath, so you still have all the published art visible with the stat removed. Especially since that's one of the best panels in the entire book. Congrats!