• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need to find someone in who can verify signatures?

58 posts in this topic

Anyway, to OP-the thing with signature verification is there's no way to 100% verify an unwitnessed signature-the experts give it a percentage - as I'm sure you've seen from watching pawn stars-they'll say 'In my opinion, this is an authentic signature' or 'I give this a 90% chance at being authentic. This sig looks 95% authentic to me, based on the factors I've mentioned. But if someone thinks I'm full of BS I'd love to hear what aspects of the sig lead them to believe it is a forgery.

any way you can stop trolling me?

Sure. Stop BSing constantly.

Post the examples you compared so we can do our own comparison.

Best just walk away, Kav's giving away "art" so he's very popular with the Who's who of the boards these days.

So.."cool art" then?

I'm pretty good and that looks legit comparing to several Barks exemplars also it does not display the slowly written sig typical with forgeries with plenty of stop and start points-it was cleanly written rapidly

Why not post the several exemplars you used in the ten minutes it took you to find and compare them to.

:facepalm:

... Anyways, it looks clean, but there is no way to be sure unless checked out by an "expert" ...

If your name is bill, then that's an even better sig!

And yes, PSA does baseballs :)

If you want to get a decent opinion from people who are really into signatures, I found a forum that let's you put up the items for them to evaluate (no charge)-- they usually give pretty sound advice.

I had what I thought was an Eric Clapton signature and a Hulk Hogan-- both were found lacking credibility. Saved me from trying to hawk them on Ebay. I had gotten them from my mom and ex-wife respectively so I had no idea they were phoney (neother did they apparently).

http://live.autographmagazine.com/forum

Hi, I'm looking for someone who can verify signatures as genuine on objects. I have a comic book - Four Color # 223 Donald Duck by Carl Barks (story written and artwork). There is his signature on first page inside - bottom edge, but I'm not able to confirm if it is for real or not?

Try PMing Mr. Zipper here on the boards and ask for advise. Autograph authentication expert, very honest.

Steve Zarelli's Page

Testimonials

Thanks to all, I have sent a PM to one referred to me above. Then will go see the others that you suggested. Hopefully, something will come up to find out if it's real or not. :wishluck:

I probably did what you did-googled Carl Barks signature and looked at the pictures, but it looks pretty solid. These guys authenticate comic sigs I believe:

http://www.csacomics.com/default.htm

That's exactly what I did plus I've had some training in this area. Believe it or not a lot of forgeries can be easily spotted as tracings of the first google hits on that sig. No two real sigs ever follow the same exact lines just as no two fingerprints are alike.

Good tip for forging signatures:

Turn the sig upside down and copy it then. Tricks your mind into tracing an image and not a signature. Better chance of fluid movement, etc.

Hi, I'm looking for someone who can verify signatures as genuine on objects. I have a comic book - Four Color # 223 Donald Duck by Carl Barks (story written and artwork). There is his signature on first page inside - bottom edge, but I'm not able to confirm if it is for real or not?

I need a professional who can check and provide a document form to show this signature is genuine. I'm near Vancouver and wonder if a local collector know anyone around this city?

Here is the book:

DonaldDuckFC223_zpsf2194fa7.jpg

DonaldDuckFC223back_zpsd5710c56.jpg

The signature on first page:

DonaldDuckFC223openpage_zpsd6c16f43.jpg

DonaldDuckFC223signture_zps47e4f42d.jpg

Any more details - please PM me, thank you.

There's no doubt in my mind that is a legit sig. I don't know how much a signature authentication costs, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was significantly more than the value that Barks' signature adds to the book (which isn't much--there are a lot of Barks signatures floating around out there).

Try PMing Mr. Zipper here on the boards and ask for advise. Autograph authentication expert, very honest.

Steve Zarelli's Page

Testimonials

Thanks, Dav!

As some of you know, I am Steve Zarelli, a long time boardie who also has been collecting autographs for many years with a specialty is space and aviation. Several years ago I started my astronaut autograph authentication service, Zarelli Space Authentication.

I authenticate astronaut, cosmonaut and aviation autographs for reputable auction houses such as RR Auction as well as leading third-party authenticators James Spence (JSA), Sportscard Guaranty Authentic (SGC) and PSA.

While space and aviation are my professional specialties, I collect autographs in other areas including sports, entertainment and comics.

So, in regard to the Barks signed comic...

I reviewed a number of verified exemplars -- lithographs signed under license, handwritten letters with solid provenance, etc. In my opinion, the signed comic is consistent with verified exemplars. Formation is spot on and it is signed fluidly with no signs of weakness or hesitation (or "too much thinking" as we say). Note that most of the lithographs feature later in life signatures, and I suspect the comic was signed earlier.

Given the signature is spot on and the personalization, I think there is a very low likelihood this is a malicious forgery. That only leaves two options -- it is authentic or a secretary signed it. Again, because the signature is highly consistent with authentic exemplars, I would also think it is probably not a secretarial signature.

Long story short: strong likelihood it is authentic.

Historically, comic creators have not been the target of skilled forgers. There are bottom feeders that will fake anything including $5 signatures, but their work is typically immediately obvious upon cursory exam.

I would exercise caution with Stan Lee... I have seen Stan Lee fakes explode in the past two years, including one forger who is quite deceptive. But he produces cookie cutter fakes and once you see his "look," you can pick them out easily. Jerry Siegel is another one I would be careful with... his slowly executed old age signatures would be easily to replicate.

Always happy to help if anyone needs help with autographs... just shoot me a PM.

Steve Zarelli

Ps Steve by secretary signed I assume you mean autopen-which can easily be determined as they all match up line for line

Ps Steve by secretary signed I assume you mean autopen-which can easily be determined as they all match up line for line

Secretary signed autographs typically are signed by the office secretary, personal assistant, etc. Typically some people are too busy to sign every request they receive hence their secretary or assistant sign for them. These are not auto pen.

Secretary signed autographs typically are signed by the office secretary, personal assistant, etc. Typically some people are too busy to sign every request they receive hence their secretary or assistant sign for them. These are not auto pen.

Oh I thought you meant autopen-those sigs you mentioned would be easy to spot, correct?

Correct.

Secretary or "proxy" signed are people authorized to sign. Many entertainment celebrities have used secretaries to sign. Some secretaries are quite deceptive, but most are pretty obvious. Ronald Reagan's personal assistant, Helene Von Damme, signed for him for many years from Governor through President. She was good, but experts eventually figured out her "tells."

I doubt Barks was getting high volumes of mail requests to the point where he needed a secretary to respond for him.

An Autopen is a mechanical armature that uses a template based on a real signature. The item is placed on the Autopen machine and the mechanical armature "signs" using a real pen. Autopens are detectable because they use a template and sign exactly the same every time. Once you know and catalog the Autopen patterns, all you need to do is match them up. Most government officials (and astronauts) have used Autopens.