• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A very different type of Commission

9 posts in this topic

While comic art is great, there is an amazing world of modern art in all different types of mediums. One that had caught my interest is cut book/paper art. Only a few artists are currently doing this type of work, and the most famous is Guy Laramee. His prices start at $4-$5000 which can be out of reach of many. However, I found an artist in England who does very unique work. Taking old books, he cuts into them removing layers and leaving certain images. What ends up is basically a shadow box type effect out of a book! While yes the book is technically destroyed, it is made into something amazing.

I thought this would be awesome with a comic book encyclopedia. I was able to reach the artist, Alexander Korzer-Robinson to inquire about a commission. At first he told me he doesn't do custom work...until I told him what I had in mind. Obviously it piqued his interest. I asked him to focus on Wolverine and Spiderman since it is impossible to capture every character. Today I received the finished images, and I was floored!

28b643o.jpg

rrqi4m.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Ankur

That is cool and very beautiful.

I know another artist who does something similar - Todd Reis.

He built a shadow box for my wife to give me as a birthday gift based on the cover of my very first comic book.

VSjCCRuQ_1606140005301.jpg

If you will click the image, you can see more shots and a link to a video where Todd explains his approach.

You can contact him through his Facebook page: The Unique 3D Shadowbox Art of Todd R. Reis

Very cool Alex! I think what he does is different. In your piece it appears multiple pieces are layered to make a 3D effect. In my piece parts of a book art cut out and certain images left behind.

Wait, so the characters are the parts of the interior pages that remain, with the surrounding portions of the pages cut out? That's nuts. Are they still bound into the book? How does he get them to stand rigidly?

Wait, so the characters are the parts of the interior pages that remain, with the surrounding portions of the pages cut out? That's nuts. Are they still bound into the book? How does he get them to stand rigidly?

Correct! The book is put into a frame with the book kept closed with a clip. It's a lot more work than it seems.