• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Has anyone ever purchased a book from ComicConnect ...

21 posts in this topic

I've heard from credible sources that Stephen Fishler was the best resto detection guy in the hobby.

Not sure if he inspect all the books, or any anymore.

I have bought some raw books that came back restored from CGC. They took them back.

The book is advertised as restored.

And your experience I guess lends credibility to what Roy said about Fishler not looking over the books anymore.

I have bought some raw books that came back restored from CGC. They took them back.

The book is advertised as restored.

And this I guess lends credibility to what Roy said about Fishler not looking over the books anymore.

From what I've heard he still does most big ticket raw book checks, although others may be involved. Even the best graders can miss restoration now and then. It just depends on the type of restoration and how good it is. (shrug)

Nothing but Great things to say about Steve /Vin if there is a problem they will fix it.

I see Vin at wondercon and Steve been around from the CBG days both good people.

I am 100% positive talking to both that if you are not happy they will make it right .

Give them a chance if you do have a problem.

What I'd like to know is if anyone had a book subsequently graded and what came back was in line with their assessment.

Peter

I have purchased numerous raw books that I have submitted. They have all come back either at the same grade that ComicConnect had it at or within a half a grade either higher or lower. One book had restoration, but they took it back. Overall, good experience. (thumbs u

[quo tote=kinzebac]

What I'd like to know is if anyone had a book subsequently graded and what came back was in line with their assessment.

Peter

I have purchased numerous raw books that I have submitted. They have all come back either at the same grade that ComicConnect had it at or within a half a grade either higher or lower. One book had restoration, but they took it back. Overall, good experience. (thumbs u

Just to clarify, I forgot to mention that all of these raw books were reported to be restored by ComicConnect prior to purchase.

Bought a restored Tec #27 from Metro.

They thought it was a slight restored 7.0 (tear seal and cover cleaned).

I thought it was a 6.5.

Read it (on toilet - safest place) and stored it raw.

Sold it back to them 2 years later (for a good profit).

Metro had it CGC graded.

Came back CGC 7.5 restored SP - tear seal and cover cleaned.

I thought it was a 6.5.

Metro had it CGC graded.

Talk about good toilet reading!

I thought it was a 6.5.

Metro had it CGC graded.

Talk about good toilet reading!

The gas must have loosened the paper fibres....,

This is what I am looking for ... (thumbs u

I just slabbed (1) SA and (4) GA books bought from Metro,

I also had them pressed and cleaned by Joey before going to CGC.

Metro........CGC

9.0.............8.0..... Diary of horror #1

6.5.............5.5..... Earthman on Venus #1

8.0.............7.0..... Eerie #1

7.5.............8.5..... Lawbreakers Suspenstories #11

9.4.............7.5..... Apparent (trimmed) undisclosed JIM #85

These were all bought directly from Metro mid to late 90's approximately.

They might have gotten better at grading now and probably scrutinize they're

grades on the bigger books, but (4) over graded and (1) under graded out of (5) books by

a full grade or more, makes them seem not too stellar at grading. This ratio give or

take a few right grades, seems fairly close ratio as I go through a GA/SA

collection purchased almost exclusively from Metro back then.

Course that was back then, they could be better now, I don't know I haven't bought

from them in while, and of course CGC grading...who knows? Thats like buying a box

of chocolates...Maybe they're both bad graders hm

I think Toro should grade all my books :sumo:

I usually take off 0.5 from their advertised grade. Of all the books I have ever purchased RAW, they all came back 0.5 lower. I'm OK with that. I set my price accordingly.

It's resto detection examples that I'm looking into...

Cheetah started a couple of threads about 8-9 months ago, one was titled "Done with Metro" as I recall, and the other was an excellent statistical analysis of grading by various dealers v. CGC. Metro was not the worst. As I mentioned in one or the other of those threads, my last transaction with Metro/ComicConnect, other than CC auctions, was about 18 mo. ago for 5 raw Avon comics and I had Matt press them all. The results: Metro's 8.5 came back 7.0, their 9.0 came back 8.5, their 8.5 came back 8.0, a 7.0 came back 7.0, and a 6.0 came back 7.0 (square bound Space Thrillers), but there were no surprise purple labels. I also tend to deduct a half to full grade from their advertised grade, but the size of their inventory is impressive and their service is quite satisfactory.

This has come to my attention via PM:

The one thing I worry about with their restored books is trimming. Filter purchased a More Fun 52 from them as "restored", but it was discovered to have trimming. When Metro describes a book as restored, it could mean anything. There was a whole thread about it years ago, I'm on my way out the door, but I'll try to dig it up later on.

This is EXACTLY what I'm looking for and the reason for my concern.

In any case I would expect CConnect to be easy to work with in case of any problem.