• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

First Appearance of Modern Guardians of the Galaxy Team?

43 posts in this topic

Well I have noticed prices for the 2008 GOTG #1 are through the roof, even without a notation on the label that's it's the first appearance of the modern line-up. I was in shock when I saw GPA 9.8 sales.

My fault for being unclear. i was asking if anyone is running out to pick up the book with the first appearance of the Avengers grouping from the film.

I'd buy GOTG (2008) # 1 as the first appearance of the movie team, because the team in Marvel Superheroes 18 & even the 1990 # 1 bares precious little resemblance to the movie version.

It also goes a long way to explaining why that 2008 # 1 is a solid $100+ book right now.

Precedent? How about GI Joe? First comic appearance was well before the # 1 Marvel issue.

Same reason that Giant Size X-Men 1 is a mega-valuable book relative to issues # 11-90.

I'd buy GOTG (2008) # 1 as the first appearance of the movie team, because the team in Marvel Superheroes 18 & even the 1990 # 1 bares precious little resemblance to the movie version.

It also goes a long way to explaining why that 2008 # 1 is a solid $100+ book right now.

Precedent? How about GI Joe? First comic appearance was well before the # 1 Marvel issue.

Same reason that Giant Size X-Men 1 is a mega-valuable book relative to issues # 11-90.

Giant size X-men had first appearances of some of the"new" or "Uncanny" X-men. These GotG characters have been around for decades. I don't think it sets a comparable precedent. On the GI Joe, I've never read any of them so I'll take your word for it.

Well I have noticed prices for the 2008 GOTG #1 are through the roof, even without a notation on the label that's it's the first appearance of the modern line-up. I was in shock when I saw GPA 9.8 sales.

My fault for being unclear. i was asking if anyone is running out to pick up the book with the first appearance of the Avengers grouping from the film.

I tried looking but cannot find an Avengers team in the comics exclusively featuring Captain America, Iron Man, Thor, Hulk, Black Widow and Hawkeye. Widow did not become an Avenger until issue 111 and even after that there there are many other characters in the lineup with one or more of the movie lineup missing.

I tried looking but cannot find an Avengers team in the comics exclusively featuring Captain America, Iron Man, Thor, Hulk, Black Widow and Hawkeye. Widow did not become an Avenger until issue 111 and even after that there there are many other characters in the lineup with one or more of the movie lineup missing.

I didn't have clue about whether or not that team was ever actually in a comic. I asked this same question in another thread. I read the Avengers off and on from the mid to late 70's to, well, now and I'd never seen it. Someone mentioned Avengers Assemble #1. (shrug)

It's also a difficult book to find in 9.8 raw, I've purchased 5 copies and all have had issues, best was 2 9.6s

Was Widow a member in 111? I remember that issue gueststarred both she and Daredevil, but don't remember her joining. She wasn't around for the Defenders crossover that starts in 114.

I second guessed myself and went to the Marvel Unlimited to check the book out for myself. I grabbed a screen shot. She guest starred with DD for the assist with the Avengers against Magneto. At the end of the issue she has a falling out with Matt Murdock after realizing that she would rather be with Barton and declares the Avengers to be her teammates.

1230a44c095d419729ebdd8215e8c77f.jpg

I think The Hulk is the main problem with all this, since he hasn't been a member for a long time and was only a member for a brief time at that. I doubt there's one issue with them all in it as active members.

Peace,

Chip

Really at this point who cares.

Haha :hi:

This guy. I've never seen anything like it. I saw it being discussed on comics forums in the last year or two and it has evolved in what it is. I think it is interesting and educational. History tends to repeat and this seems like a new idea started by a few. I'm curious because I haven't seen it happen since, well, ever. :grin:

If this is in reference to the Avengers discussion I understand your point. If this is in regards to GotG it makes quite a big difference.

AC 6 has been consistently selling for around 40 to 50 dollars in raw high grade for about a year and a half now (at least), whereas GotG 1 (2008) has seen significant gains several times over.

Should the market decided at some point that AC 6 is the book to have well you could make a very large amount of money selling GotG 1s right now and putting all of your money into buying copies of AC 6.

AC 6 has a lower print run, by several thousand copies, released first (duh), and acts as the lead-in to the 2008 GotG series, with a last page of text even advertising plans for the series. It seems like the book collectors would want. However, GotG is a number 1 issue though, and that number 1 can be hard for buyers to ignore.

I think it's an interesting discussion in the vein of Submariner 34-35 vs. Marvel Feature 1.

More importantly, this is an interesting speculative market to watch because typically movie-related speculation peaks about six week's before a film's release.

This is the first time since Iron Man when I've seen a movie so thoroughly surpass expectations that the key GOTG books could continue to hold steam and/or accelerate this year, even when the film is months gone from theaters.

If this is in reference to the Avengers discussion I understand your point. If this is in regards to GotG it makes quite a big difference.

AC 6 has been consistently selling for around 40 to 50 dollars in raw high grade for about a year and a half now (at least), whereas GotG 1 (2008) has seen significant gains several times over.

Should the market decided at some point that AC 6 is the book to have well you could make a very large amount of money selling GotG 1s right now and putting all of your money into buying copies of AC 6.

AC 6 has a lower print run, by several thousand copies, released first (duh), and acts as the lead-in to the 2008 GotG series, with a last page of text even advertising plans for the series. It seems like the book collectors would want. However, GotG is a number 1 issue though, and that number 1 can be hard for buyers to ignore.

So, the Avengers don't matter but the GotG do ? We should debate GotG most important 30th, 40th, 50th appearance or more of these characters but its a moot point when discussing the Avengers ? I guess there must be some reason... hm

So, the Avengers don't matter but the GotG do ? We should debate GotG most important 30th, 40th, 50th appearance or more of these characters but its a moot point when discussing the Avengers ? I guess there must be some reason... hm

Since over the years, the Avengers have had such a large revolving door of characters involving their membership, the market decided that they did not need the headache and Avengers 1 went up in value. Due to the limited publication and iterations of team rosters for the Guardians of the Galaxy, it allows itself for discussion.

Avengers Assemble 1