• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why do people do this?

82 posts in this topic

But, to make it clear, there is NO way I would ever submit books like this.

In all seriousness, I can understand one reason - if you have a really low grade but key book, submitting would give you an egde on and restoration and any other potential problems if you do not have the experienced eye. If the book comes back unrestored and sells relatively cheaply, I would tend to believe that even a heavily but professionally restored major book would return more than the restoration costs even in this market. And a few years down the road, maybe a lot more.

While it's hyped up to the point of being laughable, there are people who do not

have the cash to spend on a high grade one. This one is affordable even if $20 is ridiculous. Also, he just spent money having to grade it, so whatever he can get for it will help offset his losses. Just a thought.

This seller does have the satisfaction(or misery) of owning the ONLY 2.O graded so far.

In all seriousness, I can understand one reason

Pov, I don't deny the value in submitting low grade copies of key books. I slabbed a 1.8 copy of X-Men 1 last year just to make it easier to sell, and I am certain I got more for it than I would have raw...

I was referring to the slabbing of books that are clearly not worth the fees, like my 2.5 copy of Action 451. The book guides at less than $10 in NM, it should have been obvious that slabbing it was a dumb move. It has value now as a grading sample, but the book itself is worthless...

A reply almost as oblique as your new sig line...

Actually my new sig line is an age check... I would bet that 80% of the people here between the ages of 30-40 will recognize it. And the folks who grew up during the Clinton administration will not...

Off-topic: If you were Mike Tyson's tattoo artist, would you have demanded that he be sedated during the procedure? I can just see Tyson waking up halfway through and deciding he's changed his mind...

Actually my new sig line is an age check... I would bet that 80% of the people here between the ages of 30-40 will recognize it. And the folks who grew up during the Clinton administration will not..

It's dark in here. I hope we don't get eaten by a Grue...

It's dark in here. I hope we don't get eaten by a Grue...

lol... at least seank had some tact... Old Mr. Anonymous just blurts it out....

I remember sitting at an Apple II at the city library playing when I was supposed to be studying... Maybe someday they'll make a PS2 version... tongue.gif