• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Don't judge a cover without the book...

50 posts in this topic

They look HG. I guess many people with books without cover would like to get a hold of one of those.

What do you intend with those? Marry them or keep them separate?

great question...and one I don't have an answer to yet....

initially I was going to keep them bc they are so cool...but in likelyhood, I will keep a few and piece out the rest....

They look HG. I guess many people with books without cover would like to get a hold of one of those.

initially I was going to keep them bc they are so cool...but in likelyhood, I will keep a few and piece out the rest....

Really? hm

I figured you'd keep them together as a set, from a historical perspective that's the biggest percentage of their value, IMO.

Really? hm

I figured you'd keep them together as a set, from a historical perspective that's the biggest percentage of their value, IMO.

That's a good plan too lol

Very cool, Rick, thanks for sharing.

Too bad the lady wasn't a bit lazier and rather than go through the hassle of taking the covers off, she just plopped the entire copy of the book into her collection! :cry:

Very cool, Rick, thanks for sharing.

Too bad the lady wasn't a bit lazier and rather than go through the hassle of taking the covers off, she just plopped the entire copy of the book into her collection! :cry:

That would have been awesome!

they were from the personal collection of Josette Frank that worked for DC in the early 1940's and she saved the cover only, of all the books she worked on...

Awesome. That is a VERY cool provenance. :headbang:

No doubt many here know that Frank was part of DC's "editorial advisory board", and became perhaps the only nationally known figure (she was part of the Child Study Association of America) who spoke out in support of comics as the "comics are bad for children" forces gathered their strength in the late 40s and early 50s:

http://thecomicsdetective.blogspot.com/2014/02/josette-frank-alone-against-storm-part-5.html

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=qetPAAAAIBAJ&sjid=f1UDAAAAIBAJ&pg=5264,4420813&dq=josette+frank+comic+books&hl=en

Rick, if the person you bought these from might know the whereabouts of Frank's comic-related records, the records were thought to be donated to the Comics Magazine Association of America (now itself gone, of course) a long time ago and some comics historians have been looking for them -- notably, Sean Howe.

they were from the personal collection of Josette Frank that worked for DC in the early 1940's and she saved the cover only, of all the books she worked on...

Awesome. That is a VERY cool provenance. :headbang:

No doubt many here know that Frank was part of DC's "editorial advisory board", and became perhaps the only nationally known figure (she was part of the Child Study Association of America) who spoke out in support of comics as the "comics are bad for children" forces gathered their strength in the late 40s and early 50s:

http://thecomicsdetective.blogspot.com/2014/02/josette-frank-alone-against-storm-part-5.html

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=qetPAAAAIBAJ&sjid=f1UDAAAAIBAJ&pg=5264,4420813&dq=josette+frank+comic+books&hl=en

Rick, if the person you bought these from might know the whereabouts of Frank's comic-related records, the records were thought to be donated to the Comics Magazine Association of America (now itself gone, of course) a long time ago and some comics historians have been looking for them -- notably, Sean Howe.

maybe contact Harley yee...it is my understanding that Franks' nephew was the one that sold the covers to Harley, who in turn sold to me

the covers are extremely "fresh"....

she literally "ripped" them off the books, but most were ripped such that the entire front cover is there....about 15% have jagged spine areas where she didn't rip neatly....but most look like printed yesterday

the covers are extremely "fresh"....

she literally "ripped" them off the books, but most were ripped such that the entire front cover is there....about 15% have jagged spine areas where she didn't rip neatly....but most look like printed yesterday

They are beautiful. I sat next to Rick and we paged through the binder. The more we looked, the more he was hooked. I was too.

Had he passed on them, I was going to text Harley with an offer