• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel Age Index

17 posts in this topic

Ok Marvel Age was always a throw away book. Checklist for the issues that were releasing that month and maybe one or two decent interviews of a writer or artist. Yet, sometimes they would have previews of events or titles that were upcoming, and that is where the value is.

I don't want this thread to turn into a giant debate between the validity of Marvel Age appearances, because I'm sure the market stabilizes and corrects itself over time. This is more for figuring out what Marvel Age books actually have something important or worthwhile inside.

I know Marvel Age 12 is the debut of Spider-Man's black costume. Marvel Age 17 is the debut of the Transformers franchise. Marvel Age 25 is the second ever cover appearance of Rocket Raccoon. Marvel Age 97 is considered by many to be the debut of Darkhawk. Etc...

I didn't read many of these issues. (Who did?) That's why I'm hoping others can contribute to add to the list of undervalued and overlooked books.

They have, more than often. :)

Actually, when I started to buy and read comics in original edition (I am Italian) it was among my favorite magazines, although of course the advertising part was dominating.

On the fly it comes to mind a single issues with a feature devoted to Sol Brodsky, right after when he died. I never knew he was the designer of most of the wonderful 1960s Marvel logotypes…

One of my fondest memories is my Dad driving me into town as a little kid to a local convenience store that had stacks of comics, old and new, sitting in the magazine shelves. In particular, they had tons of Marvel Age issues for 25 cents each. My Dad would let me load up on several at a time each visit. As a kid, it was heaven, getting to flip through a comic showing SO MANY of my favorite characters inside, even though it wasn't stories. But there was a certain amount of fun just seeing all the pictures and hearing what the plans were coming up for the characters.

Whenever this topic comes up, I'm always quick to point out that the Annuals (I think there were 4) contained original, full-length comic stories. I haven't looked at them in 25 years, but my recollection is that these featured appearances by many, many characters in "Contest of Champions" style team-up stories.

Whenever this topic comes up, I'm always quick to point out that the Annuals (I think there were 4) contained original, full-length comic stories. I haven't looked at them in 25 years, but my recollection is that these featured appearances by many, many characters in "Contest of Champions" style team-up stories.

I'm pretty sure Annual #4 had a short Wolverine story (although it wasn't much of a story; mostly just a recap of what was happening with the character in the current comics, but it did have original art). I think this was either just before Wolverine (ongoing) #1 or Marvel Comics Presents #1 launched.

There was another annual featuring all Fred Hembeck art. The basic setup was that Hembeck was a talk show host and he was interviewing characters about upcoming series and story arcs. The best bit was when one of the characters (I think it was Captain Marvel) asked if there were any plans to give a series, and the response was "But you're dead," to which the character countered "Yeah, but am I still dead?"

Marvel Age was the 1st comics to be dumped in the 25c bins. Locally, Marvel Age # 25 Raccoon was selling for $25 before the GotG movie was release. Sure it has gone up now due to relative scarcity and Raccoon demand!

Marvel Age 88 1st relaunch of GotG team before #1. Sorry for the huge pic:

VbEgs3c.jpg

Here are the dates the annuals were published, from United States Copyright Office Public Catalog:

v. 1, no. 1, 1985. Created 1985; Pub. 1985-07-23; Reg. 1985-09-04; TX0001657811

v. 1, no. 2, 1986. Created 1986; Pub. 1986-06-03; Reg. 1986-08-04; TX0001876402

v. 1, no. 3, 1987. Created 1986; Pub. 1987-06-11; Reg. 1987-09-30; TX0002170103

v. 1, no. 4. (C.O. correspondence.) Created 1988; Pub. 1988-06-07; Reg. 1988-10-19; TX0002480325

More to come on these...