• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Movie Credits...Why?

62 posts in this topic

For the most part, we probably skip most movie credits, but with the Marvel movies, we're all suffering through to see those post credit scenes. This led me to wonder, Why do they really have these shown at the end of a theatrical release? Who is really interested in seeing all of these endless parade of names, at least enough to have them displayed at the end of every movie?

The Guardians of the Galaxy really showed how much this practice needs to be streamlined. If we're getting an extra scene, seriously, why would we ever need to sit through this? DId you guys see all of those names involved in the production??

Assuming there are people that benefit from the end credit info...how small must that percentage be? Cut the rest of us a break, and put them on the DVD release for those that really must see the name of the set dog walker, or the shoe inventory clerk!

Rant over...

Because if you want to see your little Easter Egg of a scene, or a nod, or something special then you should, and I cannot emphasize the word 'should' enough, sit through the names of those that made it all possible.

For the most part, we probably skip most movie credits, but with the Marvel movies, we're all suffering through to see those post credit scenes. This led me to wonder, Why do they really have these shown at the end of a theatrical release? Who is really interested in seeing all of these endless parade of names, at least enough to have them displayed at the end of every movie?

The Guardians of the Galaxy really showed how much this practice needs to be streamlined. If we're getting an extra scene, seriously, why would we ever need to sit through this? DId you guys see all of those names involved in the production??

Assuming there are people that benefit from the end credit info...how small must that percentage be? Cut the rest of us a break, and put them on the DVD release for those that really must see the name of the set dog walker, or the shoe inventory clerk!

Rant over...

If you're in the movie biz, it's respectful to sit through the end credits, even if there's nothing to see at the end. I think Marvel has made a great way for people to sit through to the end and comprehend all the aspects of how a movie is put together - even if they don't care.

Seriously? You think these movies make themselves? Thousands of people work tirelessly to deliver a quality entertainment experience and you would deprive them of a little tiny bit of recognition because it's a inconvenience for you to sit through them?

Sigh.

Seriously? You think these movies make themselves? Thousands of people work tirelessly to deliver a quality entertainment experience and you would deprive them of a little tiny bit of recognition because it's a inconvenience for you to sit through them?

Sigh.

Not at all...show it on the DVD. Seriously, I work tirelessly everyday, and couldn't care less if they put my name in the report notes. If the point is recognition, it ain't working for me...I still couldn't tell you who the Best boy or key grip were. I don't even care if they have the full credits after every single movie, but why make us sit through it to see the end scene...we're not making any real notation of it!

Sigh.

Not at all...show it on the DVD. Seriously, I work tirelessly everyday, and couldn't care less if they put my name in the report notes. If the point is recognition, it ain't working for me...I still couldn't tell you who the Best boy or key grip were. I don't even care if they have the full credits after every single movie, but why make us sit through it to see the end scene...we're not making any real notation of it!

I may be misreading your post but aren't you blaming the wrong people though? Who decided to put the scene after the credits?

The grip? The set designer? The wardrobe supervisor? ....

I admit I don't watch the credits but I can't find any fault in all the end credits. If I want to see the easter scene, I'll wait, I'll find it on Youtube, I'll wait to purchase the movie download or DVD, or I'll skip it.

Did anyone ever watch Dawson's Creek? I'll admit I've seen more episodes than I should have…

He always used to make people sit through the credits in films. It was corny, but he argued it was out of respect. We always focus on the big names like the actors and directors, but thousands of people are involved in making films.

I enjoy reading credits and always find a name I recognize.

End credits have gotten overinflated over the years, especially with the addition of nearly every person who works at a VFX house even peripherally involved in post production getting their names in the crawl, but it's a minor perk for all those involved in the production of a movie who are unlikely to see their names in the main credits anytime soon, and early on it's a thrill for family and friends to see one's name on screen, even if they have to wait five minutes in an emptying theatre to do so. Yeah, it's a little dopey, since no one else really cares or bothers to watch them ( even in industry screenings folks only sit through the first minute or so before they quietly start exiting the theatre ), but no one really complained until studios started putting Easter eggs at the end.

Seriously, I work tirelessly everyday, and couldn't care less if they put my name in the report notes. If the point is recognition, it ain't working for me...I still couldn't tell you who the Best boy or key grip were.

This thread is hilarious.

Those credits are essentially that persons resume. There is very little other proof they they worked on a specific movie. Almost 100% of movie work is done work for hire, the credits are considered the definitive proof of work done.

Imagine trying to get your next job and you were unable to prove you had ever created the reports you did. You'd have a hard time getting that next job... Or if the reports you created were groundbreaking in someway. You would WANT credit for creating a new way to create and do reports.

Never mind that you don't have to find a new job every time you finish a report. That's basically how working in the movie business is..

That's what credits are for.

Every other job? lol

I've been in the games industry for 20 years. I don't think they even have work verification capabilities.. Maybe for the major studios, but smaller studios dont do that.

Movie & game creators are work for hire artists. Not assembly line workers. They very often (although not always) work on a contract basis only. You don't do "employment verification" on artists and creative people.