• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Movie Credits...Why?

62 posts in this topic

Every other job? lol

I've been in the games industry for 20 years. I don't think they even have work verification capabilities.. Maybe for the major studios, but smaller studios dont do that.

So if the police needed to find out if someone worked somewhere there would be no record of that? I find this outrageous.

Every other job? lol

I've been in the games industry for 20 years. I don't think they even have work verification capabilities.. Maybe for the major studios, but smaller studios dont do that.

So if the police needed to find out if someone worked somewhere there would be no record of that? I find this outrageous.

Now you're just being difficult.

Tax records and records of payment for services does not tell anyone what you did at that job or how well you did it. That's what movie employers care about.

Right

Ok well then I'm gonna do some photoshopping and get a job as a BEST BOY

:whee:

Right

Best Boy's are apprentice electricians to the Key Grips who deal with wiring lights and sound recording equipment....

Right

Best Boy's are apprentice electricians who deal with wiring lights and sound recording equipment....

yup

My wife is in the movie industry and thanks to her I learned the importance of movie credits. Work on a movie set and you may change your mind. Don't ever say acting and movie making isn't work. Granted once your big time like Guardians that work can be VERY lucrative but it's work none the less. My wife hates the mornings, hard time waking up....got a shoot at 3 in the morning, not a problem up in an instant, regardless of amount of sleep.

The amount of work that goes into these movies is truelly mind boggling, it's easy to sit back and enjoy everyone's hard work and for them sitting there throught the credits is an accomplishment in and of itself. Countless hours shooting the same scene to get it just right so you laugh,cringe, whatever. Days, months behind a computer so when your watching Starlord fly around, your mind thinks it's real thats how good the effects are. You wouldn't want to see your name attached to a movie, especially one kicking at the box office?

Thats why there are credits, for individuals to have their work recognized.

I now sit through credits regardless of easter eggs.

Granted not everyone likes the credits, but they do serve a role in the industry. I particularly now like watching old movies and shows and when the credits run, you see some A list mega starts who were extras way back when.

Also helps with movie trivia!

Seriously? You think these movies make themselves? Thousands of people work tirelessly to deliver a quality entertainment experience and you would deprive them of a little tiny bit of recognition because it's a inconvenience for you to sit through them?

Sigh.

Not at all...show it on the DVD. Seriously, I work tirelessly everyday, and couldn't care less if they put my name in the report notes. If the point is recognition, it ain't working for me...I still couldn't tell you who the Best boy or key grip were. I don't even care if they have the full credits after every single movie, but why make us sit through it to see the end scene...we're not making any real notation of it!

Thousands of people aren't paying their hard earned money to read your reports.

Seriously, I work tirelessly everyday, and couldn't care less if they put my name in the report notes. If the point is recognition, it ain't working for me...I still couldn't tell you who the Best boy or key grip were.

This thread is hilarious.

Those credits are essentially that persons resume. There is very little other proof they they worked on a specific movie. Almost 100% of movie work is done work for hire, the credits are considered the definitive proof of work done.

Imagine trying to get your next job and you were unable to prove you had ever created the reports you did. You'd have a hard time getting that next job... Or if the reports you created were groundbreaking in someway. You would WANT credit for creating a new way to create and do reports.

Never mind that you don't have to find a new job every time you finish a report. That's basically how working in the movie business is..

That's what credits are for.

THIS

I didnt care either until I started getting up before GOD to shoot a commercial, or scene. And see the amount of effort that goes into these movies. Look at all the VFX that went into Guardians, nearly every scene needed some sort of visual effect as they were in outer freaking space, fighting aliens with weapons beyond comprehension.

Now tell me how many reviews you've heard saying how unrealistic Guardians was, and how fake it all looked.........somewhere close to the number ZERO. hell the effects are an afterthought, because it all looked real.

Then tell me the everyone who had a hand in VFX doesnt deserve a pat on the back.

If I see a movie I really liked, and the musical score is great, I sit through the end credits even if there isn't a post credits scene. And I actually wish more films had a main title sequence. The opening credits of the first Superman movie were incredible to see on the big screen in 1978. GOTG had a main title sequence, in keeping with its retro feel, and I was happy about that.

My wife is in the movie industry and thanks to her I learned the importance of movie credits. Work on a movie set and you may change your mind. Don't ever say acting and movie making isn't work. Granted once your big time like Guardians that work can be VERY lucrative but it's work none the less. My wife hates the mornings, hard time waking up....got a shoot at 3 in the morning, not a problem up in an instant, regardless of amount of sleep.

The amount of work that goes into these movies is truelly mind boggling, it's easy to sit back and enjoy everyone's hard work and for them sitting there throught the credits is an accomplishment in and of itself. Countless hours shooting the same scene to get it just right so you laugh,cringe, whatever. Days, months behind a computer so when your watching Starlord fly around, your mind thinks it's real thats how good the effects are. You wouldn't want to see your name attached to a movie, especially one kicking at the box office?

Thats why there are credits, for individuals to have their work recognized.

I now sit through credits regardless of easter eggs.

Granted not everyone likes the credits, but they do serve a role in the industry. I particularly now like watching old movies and shows and when the credits run, you see some A list mega starts who were extras way back when.

Also helps with movie trivia!

THIS

Just see what it takes to create one minute of a Star Wars film:

The credits make is easier to prove what and who you worked for. For me the way I usually get a job is word of mouth.

"Oh you worked on this with person X? I liked that, can you do me a favor?"

Then you have a trial job. Usually the favor involves some near impossible deadline where you work crazy hours. If they like your work then you are hired to do more and possibly earn a larger position.

This tends to be the nature of the business. At least for me.

Rarely does the formal resume come up anymore.

Every other job? lol

Movie & game creators are work for hire artists. Not assembly line workers. They very often (although not always) work on a contract basis only. You don't do "employment verification" on artists and creative people.

True. People who work in production are part of a team. If that team works well together and the producer (or other department head) gets work on another film, he calls back his team to work with him again. I can't speak of the really big studio productions, but I'm guessing that it works similarly.

It's not about work verification, it's about your work history and what you've done. I think the end of the legalise for employment is a work-for-hire contract and NDA.

If you're in the movie biz, it's respectful to sit through the end credits, even if there's nothing to see at the end.

+ a million!

I've been going to the movies ever since I was a little kid (which means for more than 30 years now) and I've almost never left before the credit roll was over. The 2-3 times I did, was because I was short on time and had to run. :P

For me, watching the end credits is an absolutely indispensable element of the cinematic experience. A very important part of what we call "movie magic". :cloud9:

Would you sit through the credits of Battlefield Earth?

Sure. That is, if I actually went to the theater to see Battlefield Earth. :grin:

But yeah, it actually doesn't matter what the movie was, and whether I liked it or not. For me the movie is over when the end credits are finished and the projector stops. (shrug)

Would you sit through the credits of Battlefield Earth?

Sure. That is, if I actually went to the theater to see Battlefield Earth. :grin:

But yeah, it actually doesn't matter what the movie was, and whether I liked it or not. For me the movie is over when the end credits are finished and the projector stops. (shrug)

If you don't sit through the credits, how would you know that Charles Dickens wrote A Tale of Two Cities?

Did anyone else catch in the GOTG movie credits the line:

"No Raccoons or Tree Creatures were harmed in the filming of this production"

That line made me laugh and I wouldn't have seen it if I wasn't scanning over the credits.

BUT, all in all.... those were some pretty long & boring credits.