• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Most Collected Titles of the Bronze Age

22 posts in this topic

I don't know if they're the most collected titles but my wife and I love to collect the DC Mystery line especially "The Witching Hour", "House of Mystery" and "House of Secrets." They have some of the best cover art and the stories are exceptional.

At the time, the Steve Englehart / Marshall Rogers issues of Detective Comics were extremely popular. I remember a British dealer commenting that he expected their popularity to eventually rival that of the Adams / O'Neil Batmans.

At the time, the Steve Englehart / Marshall Rogers issues of Detective Comics were extremely popular. I remember a British dealer commenting that he expected their popularity to eventually rival that of the Adams / O'Neil Batmans.

Paul, those are great issues. Just a shame that Rogers passed away so young. His few issues of Dr. Strange are among favorites as well.

Back in the '70s, my friends and I were almost solely artist driven: Adams, Steranko, Starlin, Wrightson, Kaluta, Gulacy, et al., and then (a little later), Byrne, Miller, and Simonson.

Of course, we were barely in our teens, and didn't have the income to stash away multiples of anything in our long-boxes (which, come to think of it, we didn't own in the first place -- I kept my better comics in plastic file boxes).

We READ all the new comics we could afford ca. 1975 - 1980 (all Marvels, esp. MOKF, X-Men, Marvel Team-Up, Iron Fist, etc.), but the stuff we sought out and drooled over via mail order and at the (very) few comic book stores which were just cropping up in our area was all older material by the top artists of the era.

For example...here's a J&S order form I filled out in 1979 or so, but never sent:

js5.jpg

Adams...Starlin...Steranko. Yeah!

A darn shame Conan and the sword and sorcery genre has nosedived as far as it has in popularity. This used to be big in both comics and the mainstream back in those days.

Conan was HUGE. I also remember my friends being very much into Tomb of Dracula while I bought Defenders and Eternals!

I don't know if these were being stashed away exactly, but it feels like the 70s were big on reprint titles. I bought Marvel's Greatest Comics religiously, and I remember the comic rack at Seig Drug was always had Marvel Tales.

Back in the '70s, my friends and I were almost solely artist driven: Adams, Steranko, Starlin, Wrightson, Kaluta, Gulacy, et al., and then (a little later), Byrne, Miller, and Simonson.

Of course, we were barely in our teens, and didn't have the income to stash away multiples of anything in our long-boxes (which, come to think of it, we didn't own in the first place -- I kept my better comics in plastic file boxes).

We READ all the new comics we could afford ca. 1975 - 1980 (all Marvels, esp. MOKF, X-Men, Marvel Team-Up, Iron Fist, etc.), but the stuff we sought out and drooled over via mail order and at the (very) few comic book stores which were just cropping up in our area was all older material by the top artists of the era.

For example...here's a J&S order form I filled out in 1979 or so, but never sent:

js5.jpg

Adams...Starlin...Steranko. Yeah!

That's fantastic! You still have that, eh?

Every Marvel issue. :sumo:

That’s what I collected, except for the X-Men, war and westerns, and some of the second string titles. I dropped the reprint titles as I got more into back issues. I started collecting in ’75; in ’76 I would have been buying 2001: A Space Odyssey, Spider-man, the Avengers, Captain America, Chamber of Chills, the Champions, Daredevil, Defenders, Dr. Strange (later), the Eternals, the Fantastic Four, FOOM, the Ghost Rider, Howard the Duck, the Incredible Hulk, the Invaders, Iron Man, Marvel’s Greatest Comics, Marvel Premiere, Marvel Spotlight, Marvel Super-Heroes, Marvel Tales, Marvel Team-Up, Marvel Treasury Edition, Marvel Two-In-One, Nova, Omega, Peter Parker SS, Power-Man, Spidey-Super Stories, Super-Villain Team-Up, Thor, Tomb of Darkness, Weird Wonder Tales and Werewolf by Night.

Those were the days!

Every Marvel issue. :sumo:

That’s what I collected, except for the X-Men, war and westerns, and some of the second string titles. I dropped the reprint titles as I got more into back issues. I started collecting in ’75; in ’76 I would have been buying 2001: A Space Odyssey, Spider-man, the Avengers, Captain America, Chamber of Chills, the Champions, Daredevil, Defenders, Dr. Strange (later), the Eternals, the Fantastic Four, FOOM, the Ghost Rider, Howard the Duck, the Incredible Hulk, the Invaders, Iron Man, Marvel’s Greatest Comics, Marvel Premiere, Marvel Spotlight, Marvel Super-Heroes, Marvel Tales, Marvel Team-Up, Marvel Treasury Edition, Marvel Two-In-One, Nova, Omega, Peter Parker SS, Power-Man, Spidey-Super Stories, Super-Villain Team-Up, Thor, Tomb of Darkness, Weird Wonder Tales and Werewolf by Night.

Those were the days!

No Tomb of Dracula??? :baiting:

Michael Golden Micronauts issues?

:cloud9:

Those were some great books. Especially loved the cover of #7, the Man-Thing cover. I had a chance in 1980 to buy the unpublished cover art for issue #1 by Golden. Price was $400. It was beautiful. Don't know why they didn't use it.

Michael Golden Micronauts issues?

:cloud9:

Those were some great books. Especially loved the cover of #7, the Man-Thing cover. I had a chance in 1980 to buy the unpublished cover art for issue #1 by Golden. Price was $400. It was beautiful. Don't know why they didn't use it.

Pic, Bob? :wishluck: