• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tales from the Tampa Bay Comic Con -- with pics!

40 posts in this topic

Then I had the WD girls! Holy carp, these girls were something else -- like a force of nature. They were a riot! I was actually a little worried about to approach doing a panel with two 11 year old girls, but the three panels I did with them over the weekend were some of funniest ones.

dtQj8l2.jpg

Even better, I got them to plug my Zombies from the Pulps! book. ;)

DFPItaB.jpg

:applause: Wonderful Theagenes

Is there ANYONE who wouldn't want to sit and chew the fat with Steranko over dinner?

Steranko > The most interesting man in the world from the Dos Equis commercials. And it's not even close.......

He's the epitome of cool, no doubt about it. I had dinner with him again on Saturday night and we talked pulps most of the time. Many people don't realize itt, but he actually has one of the best pulp collections in the world. I'm currently editing an academic volume on Weird Tales and he was very interested in that.

Steranko's History of Comics was, for me personally, one of his most important achievements, because it was the first time anyone did any real scholarship on comics and pulps in a mainstream publication, outside of the fanzines. He absolutely paved the way for the work I do today.

Another guy I had a great time hanging out with was Frank Brunner. Frank has a bit of a curmudgeon gimmick but he's actually a really funny guy and we have a lot of shared interests.

With all the renewed interest in Howard the Duck, his contributions to the early development of the character are being completely overlooked. And of course he's a Robert E. Howard fan and adapted several REH stories during his tenure at Marvel -- naturally that makes him cool in my book.

f1Y6gjy.jpg

He looks great for a legend from the sixties.

Congrats to all involved in putting on this show. Comic books, comic book creation, comic comraderie, and nothing but. That's what a quality convention is all about!

Are you kidding? I'm wearing the best con shirt ever! :P

10511138_10202165674055665_5975158443840582998_n2.jpg

lol

:applause:

That is actually a really great shirt!

(worship)

I couldn't tell what is was in the first pick. Wow. That is a sweet shirt. :applause:

Not only is Jeff one of my favorite people in comics, he's one of my favorite people in life. I must confess, I'm a Theagenes fanboy. I'm really happy you enjoyed yourself, Jeff. (worship)

I can attest to this. They practically hold hands.

Not only is Jeff one of my favorite people in comics, he's one of my favorite people in life. I must confess, I'm a Theagenes fanboy. I'm really happy you enjoyed yourself, Jeff. (worship)

You're just jealous. :P

You're just jealous. :P

I have to carve out my Tupenny and Theagenes time when I can! :cry:

Steranko's History of Comics was, for me personally, one of his most important achievements, because it was the first time anyone did any real scholarship on comics and pulps in a mainstream publication, outside of the fanzines.

Agree!

And how cool you're able to fashion a career in scholarship of the comic obsession!

Steranko's History of Comics was, for me personally, one of his most important achievements, because it was the first time anyone did any real scholarship on comics and pulps in a mainstream publication, outside of the fanzines.

Agree!

And how cool you're able to fashion a career in scholarship of the comic obsession!

Well, I'm trying anyway. :)

Here's the panel from Sunday that I did with Steranko and Spurlock.

Yes, the hair is real... and it's spectactular.

x7DXtPs.jpg

And just about as cool for me personally (perhaps even more so), was the panel I got to do with John Rhys-Davies. It's no exaggeration to say that for myself and the other archaeologists of my generation, Raiders was our inspiration. John was every bit the witty, classy, intelligent individual that you would think he would be and it was a true honor to share the stage with him.

GdqKoMq.jpg

Saturday, the first floor hallway. The first floor of the Tampa Convention Center is the ballroom & meeting room space -- where we hold our panels, programming, etc. The exhibit hall or dealer's room is upstairs.

received_m_mid_1407973440081_3e51af6f758bdffd21_0_zps0fbe3bfa.jpg