• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stolen X-Men #1 Stolen At Boston Comic Con- Scans Added!

80 posts in this topic

You can see the Xmen 1 here on Saturday morning, perhaps at a little too convenient level for a thief. Ted invites people he knows into his booth, maybe this will change.

xllbf6.jpg

I hope he does let his known customers into his booth even after this unfortunate incident. I will understand if he is hesitant, but I love getting a close look at his wall and chatting about books.

One of my favorite dealers once told me that you put your dogs along the bottom and the best books at eye level or up. Bottom rows usually never sale.

Not that it has any relevance here...

One of my favorite dealers once told me that you put your dogs along the bottom and the best books at eye level or up. Bottom rows usually never sale.

Tough to do when you have a deep, high quality inventory. Every book is screaming for wall space then.

Ted invites too many customers he doesn't know into the back and that SHOULD change.

This is why I don't let customers I don't know back in to look at wall books unless I know them.

In addition Ted lets them look around without being accompanied.

Sorry, but if you want to see my stuff it is with me or somebody who works with me unless I know you.

For those of you who would like to look upclose maybe it is time to buy some glasses.

Ted invites too many customers he doesn't know into the back and that SHOULD change.

This is why I don't let customers I don't know back in to look at wall books unless I know them.

Sorry, but if you want to see my stuff it is with me or somebody who works with me unless I know you.

For those of you who would like to look upclose maybe it is time to buy some glasses.

I was thinking the same thing when I heard the news, It was really just a matter of time. Ted will throw down 10K worth of books on the table and walk away with customers looking through them. He's very careless in that regard.

He does have insurance, still sucks though.

I was thinking the same thing when I heard the news, It was really just a matter of time. Ted will throw down 10K worth of books on the table and walk away with customers looking through them. He's very careless in that regard.

He does have insurance, still sucks though.

I wouldn't call Ted careless -- he cares and puts out a great selection of books always. But he is the very definition of laid-back, which unfortunately can bite you in the butt. Fingers crossed for getting his book back and snagging the thief.

Yup it is awesome to be laid back and friendly and gladly allow people straight into the wall books without asking.

But Ted is careless when it comes to trusting people and gets easily distracted by things that frankly are not important to doing business.

If that makes him a great guy, awesome. But lets remember that distractions are how things get stolen in the first place.

You don't have to be rude but you also have to watch what is going in behind you in the booth if you are letting people look at wall books.

Yup it is awesome to be laid back and friendly and gladly allow people straight into the wall books without asking.

But Ted is careless when it comes to trusting people and gets easily distracted by things that frankly are not important to doing business.

If that makes him a great guy, awesome. But lets remember that distractions are how things get stolen in the first place.

You don't have to be rude but you also have to watch what is going in behind you in the booth if you are letting people look at wall books.

Exactly! Great guy but he's easily distracted.

You can see the Xmen 1 here on Saturday morning, perhaps at a little too convenient level for a thief. Ted invites people he knows into his booth, maybe this will change.

xllbf6.jpg

I hope he does let his known customers into his booth even after this unfortunate incident. I will understand if he is hesitant, but I love getting a close look at his wall and chatting about books.

and that's a double problem. The bottom 2 rows of books are not in the optimum marketable spot (i.e. get less notice) and are also tantalizingly easy to pull up and over the horizontal guard while squashed up against the wall in a crowded booth where you could easily mask what you're doing with your body and maybe a coat. It would only have been a matter of moving one of the other books that appear to be doubled up into it's place and shuffling off without it getting noticed too quickly. I'd recommend that for the sake of security and saleability, you don't put anything of any worth below 4.5 ft. Sux to lose space but better that than make it too easy on thieves who are everywhere. Gorgeous wall of books. I'd love to just stare at it all day but that presents another problem in crowd control for those like me that like to gawk.

Maybe some kind of plexiglass doors with small lock you have to ask to open would help

I cannot disagree. :)

Maybe some kind of plexiglass doors with small lock you have to ask to open would help

I don't think you have any idea how impractical and expensive that would be for a big show like NYCC, SDCC, Boston, Chicago etc...

Doing those shows and carrying around cumbersome displays is impractical for most, especially if you're setting up at shows across the country. The only thing I can suggest to people using grid walling is to endcap your booth with nothing less than four feet wide and make sure your grid is top to bottom.

I've been fortunate enough that I've never had anything stolen off my wall. Outside of a stolen pint glass and a few buttons, the only thing I've had of any significance taken was from boxes at the first Rose City show (two copies of DD 181).

Keep an eye out if you see someone that keeps looking at wall then looking around to see if anyone is watching. These head movements indicate the shoplifter.

Keep an eye out if you see someone that keeps looking at wall then looking around to see if anyone is watching. These head movements indicate the shoplifter.

I'll be sure not do that next time I go shoplifting

Best way to shoplift is walk in, grab what you want, walk out and say 'heck of a day isn't it?' to the clerk. You'll be invisible.