• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DC All Star/Marvel Ultimate: Full Circle

3 posts in this topic

With DC doing a not so Ultimate version of it's main characters, but a pre-Crisis SA/BA, since their current universe is a "Ultimate", it appears both companies have come full circle. Both companies will have ongoing titles set outside of universe proper. Marvels Ultimate line is DC's universe proper, and the DC All Star will compare to MU proper.

As a DC fan, I have enjoyed the Ultimate Universe as I only have a casual understanding of the MU. I like the new starting off point. With Superman and Batman, I think it's wise to create a universe that plays on the casual fans expectations of the characters. The comic adaption of the cartoons did that, but it was such a style that turned off most readers even though they reviewed well because they had the core of the characters. I think it's a good move by both companies to have their big characters in formats that can be collected and presented as good representations of the character without having to be slaves to a bigger universe, but plays upon the expectations of those characters.

I still want a series that has a beginning, middle, and end. I would like to see both companies get the characters out of a perpetual limbo and give each universe more significance by aging them and make deaths really matter. The one thing that comic characters lack is an ending. I think it would be great to have a defintive Superman, Batman, Spider-Man, story that contains the first and last meetings between the bad guys and loved ones, and the ultimate end of the character. They could still have the "limbo" universe, but I think these characters deserve a defintive story that pays respect to the established stories.