• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Free Comics with Purchases - Does it make you want to buy again?

19 posts in this topic

It has been fairly customary on the boards to include some free comics in with a persons purchase. The free books typically are 90s filler but will occasionally be a cool book like the Spawn #1 I got last week. If you get a couple filler 90s (some call them drek) books with your purchase does it make you want to buy again. I'm assuming most people do not want them for their collections so what do you do with them? And if you just give them away to someone else are we just circulating around books and the post office is the only ones benefitting.

It has been fairly customary on the boards to include some free comics in with a persons purchase. The free books typically are 90s filler but will occasionally be a cool book like the Spawn #1 I got last week. If you get a couple filler 90s (some call them drek) books with your purchase does it make you want to buy again. I'm assuming most people do not want them for their collections so what do you do with them? And if you just give them away to someone else are we just circulating around books and the post office is the only ones benefitting.

I had no idea of this custom - Hey 1Cool - there will be a little extra something in your Avengers Ann 10 that I am packing tonight.

I think it is a nice sentiment but that in itself wouldn't necessarily make me want to purchase again from a seller.

Filler books just take up space that I don't have and these would go unappreciated with me. To be honest, I would prefer the seller asked if I wanted them - the sentiment is there and I can pass so they would go to someone who really wanted them.

I had no idea of this custom - Hey 1Cool - there will be a little extra something in your Avengers Ann 10 that I am packing tonight.

mission accomplished!

I think it is a nice sentiment but that in itself wouldn't necessarily make me want to purchase again from a seller.

Filler books just take up space that I don't have and these would go unappreciated with me. To be honest, I would prefer the seller asked if I wanted them - the sentiment is there and I can pass so they would go to someone who really wanted them.

I agree with Tele, but only because each book would cost at least $2 to ship me to Italy, and if it is something I am not interested in at all, I have to leave it to my US friend which holds the books for me.

If I was in the USA, I would not care, it would even be a nice way to see something I would never think to buy. :)

mission accomplished!

:grin: That's funny. I get free books from about half of the sellers on the boards which I do appreciate. But unless they are books I need, I tend to just ship them to someone else for free. I don't usually seek out the sellers who give out free books so I was wondering if other people do.

Jeez louise, complaining about freebies? (I'm not directing that to anyone...) The quality of the freebies I include usually corresponds with the amount spent. As for shipping costs, I generally ship in a flat rate envelope, so sliding an extra or two in there makes no difference. Usually not 90s filler drek. Been sliding some New 52 stuff in there, some people like that. I think last week I sent someone an X-Men 283 as an extra, so 90s, but not total drek. I guess i've been sliding some sharp condition 1990s GOTG books in there lately, so maybe you consider that drek, but this month it isn't! Last month there was an MOS 18 in there, Avengers 195, Special Edition 15, some beater X-Men in the 20s, some decent 20 cent cover price stuff. But I'm looking at 5-15% of the "value" of the real purchase in freebies included when the purchase is above some arbitrary amount.

People on ebay definitely appreciate the extras as well. If something gets bid up beyond my expectations I definitely toss extra stuff in there.

Jeez louise, complaining about freebies? (I'm not directing that to anyone...) The quality of the freebies I include usually corresponds with the amount spent. As for shipping costs, I generally ship in a flat rate envelope, so sliding an extra or two in there makes no difference. Usually not 90s filler drek. Been sliding some New 52 stuff in there, some people like that. I think last week I sent someone an X-Men 283 as an extra, so 90s, but not total drek. I guess i've been sliding some sharp condition 1990s GOTG books in there lately, so maybe you consider that drek, but this month it isn't! Last month there was an MOS 18 in there, Special Edition 15, some beater X-Men in the 20s, some decent 20 cent cover price stuff. But I'm looking at 5-15% of the "value" of the real purchase in freebies included when the purchase is above some arbitrary amount.

People on ebay definitely appreciate the extras as well. If something gets bid up beyond my expectations I definitely toss extra stuff in there.

I'm definetely not complaining about getting free books. I'm more curious if getting free books makes you put that seller at the top of your buying list. I very rarely ship via flat rate so it's tough to justify sending someone $2.00 worth of books that cost me $1.00 extra to ship if I don't know if they will like the books or appreciate them. Great info about E-Bay buyers .

Free books do not put a seller at the top of my list. But I appreciate the thought behind it.

Nice books, fair prices, safe shipping, and great customer service keep me coming back. (thumbs u

Jeez louise

Now I have to ask you: who is Louise? lol

In the event that isn't totally tongue in cheek, it is an "american" way of saying "jesus" in a way that really has nothing to do with jesus (used as a mild expression of surprise, disappointment, astonishment, etc.) so as not to offend someone who would be offended if you used the Lord's name in such a casual manner. yes, i know, it's a bad habit of mine, i should use some other exclamation.

How/why the "louise" part got added to "jeez", I don't know. some people think it's just because it rhymes nicely.

i understand to someone from abroad the statement is totally nonsensical.

Jeez louise

Now I have to ask you: who is Louise? lol

In the event that isn't totally tongue in cheek, it is an "american" way of saying "jesus" in a way that really has nothing to do with jesus (used as a mild expression of surprise, disappointment, astonishment, etc.) so as not to offend someone who would be offended if you used the Lord's name in such a casual manner. yes, i know, it's a bad habit of mine, i should use some other exclamation.

How/why the "louise" part got added to "jeez", I don't know. some people think it's just because it rhymes nicely.

i understand to someone from abroad the statement is totally nonsensical.

I quite guessed it – so it’s about the same thing as saying "dang" instead of "damn" or "heck" instead of "hell". Very interesting things, as no one in Italy would take "Jesus" as offensive or as unrespectful, even if used in an exclamation (well, of course depending a bit on context).

Swear words and the like are very different across countries…

I quite guessed it – so it’s about the same thing as saying "dang" instead of "damn" or "heck" instead of "hell". Very interesting things, as no one in Italy would take "Jesus" as offensive or as unrespectful, even if used in an exclamation (well, of course depending a bit on context).

Interesting, over here - particularly among the devout - it's thought of as breaking one of the Commandments.

If its relevant to my interests then sure. If I buy a stack of 'Nam back issues and find an extra war comic or two I didn't pay for that's cool. If I find Brigade and Witchblade I wonder what that was all about.

If the freebies are clearly tailored to my collecting interests, I'll definitely be back. I've had sellers here do that, where I purchased SA Daredevil books and the seller tossed in some random DD titles...that gets me hook line and sinker. I've tried to do the same for other sellers. But totally random freebies is cool too, even if it doesn't create a return seller it can be good for the hobby if it's something a buyer has never read before and ends up liking it. I bought from someone who stuffed the Flat Rate box with the first 20 issues of Loveless, which I ended up enjoying even though I never took a chance on it off the shelves. Just my 2c

I've had some sellers send me some neat free stuff too. It was definitely a surprise, before here I'd never heard of an online transaction having that.

Since then I did have it happen on a car forum, it was really cool. I had a car blog, and I listed the parts I was after. I found someone selling a selection of parts I needed and bought them. When the package arrived it had other parts I needed that had not been listed for sale. I was amazed he knew what I needed and then more amazed that he gave me a handful of them for free. He had looked at my build diary before making my package and saw I needed a couple things he had laying around. That was awesome.