• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

eBay Fall Seller Release 2014 uh oh

30 posts in this topic

By: Ina Steiner

There is plenty to be upset about in today's eBay Fall Seller Release, but there is also some apparent relief with regard to its new defect policy that goes into effect on August 20th.

The idea that eBay could dictate sellers' terms seemed absurd years ago, especially as it stuck to its "only a venue" argument in legal cases. But with today's pending Seller Release, eBay will require all sellers to follow its Managed Returns process (aka Hassle Free Returns). :ohnoez: The only alternative for sellers is not to accept returns at all.

eBay will also automatically add an International Priority Shipping option to all sellers' listings for buyers in 10 countries whose buyers primarily shop on eBay in English, according to eBay: Canada, Australia, New Zealand, United Kingdom, Singapore, Ireland, South Africa, Malaysia, United Arab Emirates, and Mexico. The program does offer an option to "opt out." :ohnoez:

Not surprisingly given the unintended consequences arising from the new Defect policy, eBay has had to backtrack on one aspects of the policy. When buyers ask sellers a question after the sale, it is now often considered a defect against the sellers' performance record. eBay said it was adding an option that allows buyers to ask sellers a question or send them a message after the sale without counting against the seller.

:shy:

I want to know more about the international shipping.

Ditto for me. That is the most concerning.

With that wording,I can't tell if we are going to have to ship to those places. Or those places are going to be forced to ship to us.

With that wording,I can't tell if we are going to have to ship to those places. Or those places are going to be forced to ship to us.

U.S. sellers will have to ship to those places. Ebay will require you to use Priority Mail and they will set the prices the buyers have to pay for shipping. Better hope ebay sets it high enough to cover all your costs including commissions to ebay and paypal, insurance, etc.

GSP is looking better and better for sellers that don't ship international. I wonder if that's the real reason for this change... to push people into GSP that don't ship internationally at all.

I think it sounds great. Ebay already added the international customs gouging feature.

If they follow it up with helping more US sellers get over their voodoo beliefs about shipping to first world english speaking countries, might just make the customs gouging worthwhile.

it does seem like they are trying to force everyone towards the GSP and return program.

I'm guessing the next step will be to make everyone offer free shipping in a few years.

“The best way to take control over a people and control them utterly is to take a little of their freedom at a time, to erode rights by a thousand tiny and almost imperceptible reductions. In this way, the people will not see those rights and freedoms being removed until past the point at which these changes cannot be reversed.”

I do not condone the persons idiologies quoted above, but the point is that people, companies, organizations, and governments can impose their will on others "slowly" until they drop the other shoe and things are changed the way they want completely. You don't notice a child growing up day-by-day, but spend a year away and things will have changed greatly.

rantrant:preach:

Better hope ebay sets it high enough to cover all your costs including commissions to ebay and paypal, insurance, etc.

Are you saying you pad your shipping charge to cover fees (eBay or Paypal)? Because that's not cool.

Why do I care about managed returns if the buyer is paying the return shipping?

If they are forcing me to pay the return shipping in all cases, that I care about. In that case I will switch to a "no return" eBay policy, but when asked to return an item I will, of course, take it back for a full refund.

The seller update does say that your shipping options will not change if you previously opted out of the global shipping program.

•Note this update does not apply to your listings if you are currently enrolled in the Global Shipping Program or have previously opted out of the program—if so, all of your current preferences will stay the same.

Better hope ebay sets it high enough to cover all your costs including commissions to ebay and paypal, insurance, etc.

Are you saying you pad your shipping charge to cover fees (eBay or Paypal)? Because that's not cool.

If ebay takes a cut of the shipping fees, then doesn't it follow that you would set the shipping price to cover that fee? Why should the seller lose money on shipping?

eBay doesn't work without buyers, they want people to feel safe buying on eBay. They are in competition with Amazon. Whatever they feel will give them a leg up in customer service over Amazon, they will pass onto the sellers. Which is why they take 1% on shipping fees cause they are pushing you to offer free shipping. They are making it easier on the buyer to make a return for any reason and want sellers to stand behind what they sell.

The idea that eBay could dictate sellers' terms seemed absurd years ago, especially as it stuck to its "only a venue" argument in legal cases. But with today's pending Seller Release, eBay will require all sellers to follow its Managed Returns process (aka Hassle Free Returns). :ohnoez: The only alternative for sellers is not to accept returns at all.

I looked through the ebay email today as well. At a glance, I actually like the Managed Returns policy, as it will help to automate something that's always been a bit nebulous.

As a very timely example, I recently returned a cheap book to a seller due to condition issues, and the return address from the seller's label that I shipped back to apparently omitted the seller's apartment number. Had the return address been auto-generated through ebay, this would not have been an issue.