• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ASM #5 Conquest Comics variant shipping damage

173 posts in this topic

Hey guys, TRUE STORY: So I have a friend down in Tom's River, NJ. Last week I was visiting her and on a whim I decided to check out this shop, Conquest Comics, in Bayville. They used to be in the space next door but have since moved into a larger store/space next door. I got there about 15 minutes before they closed and was only planning on checking out some wall books and then taking off. Anyways, I started to chit chat with the (I presume) owner. He was a nice enough guy. Well I got around to asking him if he frequents the CGC Boards. Turns out he does. He also tells me all about their exclusive Spidey 4 Variant and the recent trouble he's had on the Boards with a certain "Shark". :) He also name-dropped JimmyLinguini as one of his other arch nemesis on the boards. He made it seem as though Shark was being completely unreasonable. Of course at the time I knew nothing of the story so took his side of the story at face value. As I said, he seemed like a pretty nice guy and just seemed to be overloaded with these orders.. it was a challenge to look through the longboxes around the shop as there were empty boxes, packing supplies, and the variants themselves on top of them. Anyways, just a funny coincidence I thought I would share.

I agree that he seems like a nice guy. I don't think he had any sort of bad motives with this variant, but that he just got overwhelmed. The bad thing is that the main purpose for store variants like these are to bring attention to the store and so far it has brought bad attention, at least for the boards. :(

Hey guys, TRUE STORY: So I have a friend down in Tom's River, NJ. Last week I was visiting her and on a whim I decided to check out this shop, Conquest Comics, in Bayville. They used to be in the space next door but have since moved into a larger store/space next door. I got there about 15 minutes before they closed and was only planning on checking out some wall books and then taking off. Anyways, I started to chit chat with the (I presume) owner. He was a nice enough guy. Well I got around to asking him if he frequents the CGC Boards. Turns out he does. He also tells me all about their exclusive Spidey 4 Variant and the recent trouble he's had on the Boards with a certain "Shark". :) He also name-dropped JimmyLinguini as one of his other arch nemesis on the boards. He made it seem as though Shark was being completely unreasonable. Of course at the time I knew nothing of the story so took his side of the story at face value. As I said, he seemed like a pretty nice guy and just seemed to be overloaded with these orders.. it was a challenge to look through the longboxes around the shop as there were empty boxes, packing supplies, and the variants themselves on top of them. Anyways, just a funny coincidence I thought I would share.

I agree that he seems like a nice guy. I don't think he had any sort of bad motives with this variant, but that he just got overwhelmed. The bad thing is that the main purpose for store variants like these are to bring attention to the store and so far it has brought bad attention, at least for the boards. :(

I am completely unreasonable! Don't all you guys know that by now? :pullhair::grin:

Seriously, I agree with CAHokie. This small shop somehow got an ASM JSC exclusive, came on here pushing it (heck I would), got a ton of orders (I assume that's what they wanted) and then a combination of a shipping delay from Marvel, their own week long attendance at SDCC and a lack of manpower afterwards has led to slow shipping, poor shipping methods in some instances and even a question of using cheaper shipping when costlier shipping was paid for. They had a golden opportunity here but due to poor planning and suspect customer service I think they dropped the ball big time on this one. It could have gone so much smoother....

I received mine just now. Same packaging job, same plastic bag and shipped media mail. The cardboard package is not as bad as it looks. It actually has several thick layers to it. The plastic bag was a little strange though as it was loose inside the cardboard. I would suggest a paper bag covering instead of plastic and then taping it to the cardboard with painters tape or some type of tape so that it is not loose inside. I can't find my receipt email for how much shipping cost me, so not for sure about the whole media mail thing. I hope I didnt pay $5 or more for media mail shipping of 2 comic books.

I received mine just now. Same packaging job, same plastic bag and shipped media mail. The cardboard package is not as bad as it looks. It actually has several thick layers to it. The plastic bag was a little strange though as it was loose inside the cardboard. I would suggest a paper bag covering instead of plastic and then taping it to the cardboard with painters tape or some type of tape so that it is not loose inside. I can't find my receipt email for how much shipping cost me, so not for sure about the whole media mail thing. I hope I didnt pay $5 or more for media mail shipping of 2 comic books.

How'd books look?

Here is my receipt for my second order which I still haven't received :gossip:

ScreenShot2014-08-13at11814PM_zps2912ba9d.png

Honestly....if he just charged $6.50 for shipping he could buy comic mailer boxes, use flat rate priority padded envelopes (which the boxes fit neatly inside of) and he could have them well protected AND priority mailed.

I double checked, it was for sure mailed via media mail. I could see the way it was packaged with all of the cardboard folding and bagging being time consuming. It seems to me that a lot of hassle could have been eliminated by having the cardboard pre-cut weeks in advance with the priority mail envelopes ready to go for small orders and a box for larger ones. I will say that the book corners did not get damaged so I am happy about that. The cover does have rubbing on it near the staples but that could have been done during production or by sliding around, I really have no idea and not an expert on that type of stuff.

Honestly….if he just charged $6.50 for shipping he could buy comic mailer boxes, use flat rate priority padded envelopes (which the boxes fit neatly inside of) and he could have them well protected AND priority mailed.

And honestly, what I got mine in wasn't that different from a comic mailer box.

Honestly….if he just charged $6.50 for shipping he could buy comic mailer boxes, use flat rate priority padded envelopes (which the boxes fit neatly inside of) and he could have them well protected AND priority mailed.

It was similar to a box, with the exception that the comic has the ability to slide around inside a plastic bag. Whats your opinion on paying $5 for media mail shipping?

I totally missed the media mail thing on my package. I was excited to get the book.

It is a little sketchy that he mailed media mail and I'd be curious if some of them got returned to the store. From my experience, the post office usually catches it and returns it to sender.

What was the cost of shipping on your box? I can't imagine he saved a ton of money.

I'm also amazed we haven't heard from him here. He went off on people in the other thread.

I'm going to go pull mine out and inspect for the rubbing you mentioned.

It looks like a flattened cardboard mailer to me, where a book may slide around inside. That seems a lot different than a box with 6 sides, where the book is secured and you can layer packing material on top on bottom.

Honestly....if he just charged $6.50 for shipping he could buy comic mailer boxes, use flat rate priority padded envelopes (which the boxes fit neatly inside of) and he could have them well protected AND priority mailed.

Does anyone use the mailer boxes? I have never received a comic in one.

It doesn't say how much shipping was, but in my experience he gained about $2 - $3 per order by shipping it media at a cost of $5 to the buyer. Times that number by 1,000 orders and you can see that the money will add up to a large number quickly. It was also said in the thread that we would get a shipping notice with tracking number. I never received that either. Is there such thing as tracking on media mail? I truly do not know.

Im not trying to pile on, and I am happy that I got my copy safely, but shipping cost vs shipping method is one of my pet peeves in the comic world. On the rare occasion that I sell something, I ship priority at exact cost or free. I would never consider charging more than cost. Heck, even my PIF's are shipped priority with bubble wrap and padding. lol

It doesn't say how much shipping was, but in my experience he gained about $2 - $3 per order by shipping it media at a cost of $5 to the buyer. Times that number by 1,000 orders and you can see that the money will add up to a large number quickly. It was also said in the thread that we would get a shipping notice with tracking number. I never received that either. Is there such thing as tracking on media mail? I truly do not know.

Im not trying to pile on, and I am happy that I got my copy safely, but shipping cost vs shipping method is one of my pet peeves in the comic world. On the rare occasion that I sell something, I ship priority at exact cost or free. I would never consider charging more than cost. Heck, even my PIF's are shipped priority with bubble wrap and padding. lol

Oh I agree with you, I just really think this guy got in way over his head. I'm not sure how he didn't see it coming, but I have to imagine that the number of orders was staggering.

I also have to imagine it really pisses you off to see the mark up already occurring on eBay. You and whoever are sitting around boxing these up endlessly and some Joe Schmo is selling them for $50-$60 on ebay. I know it is part of business, but I've got to imagine it gets to you at some point.