• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Signing on the back..?

22 posts in this topic

What's wrong with it? The more I think about it, the more I think it just doesn't make sense to have signatures on the front of the book. Especially where stan lee is concerned, as his signatures can be large and wonky at times. But, regardless of who it is, what is the point of signing on the front? It just messes up the artwork, typically.

I typically only have signatures on the back in two instances:

(1) Flip books where CGC will only slab them the other way (with "my" side on the back)

(2) There were separate artists for front and back cover, and the artist wants to sign his work.

I want the signatures on the front cover for my stuff. I want them to flow to the extent that they can with the artwork, but the signature is of paramount importance to me.

What's wrong with it? The more I think about it, the more I think it just doesn't make sense to have signatures on the front of the book. Especially where stan lee is concerned, as his signatures can be large and wonky at times. But, regardless of who it is, what is the point of signing on the front? It just messes up the artwork, typically.

why stop there, put them on the inside, that way that wonky sig won't be seen at all

Most of the time where Stan is concerned I will make the window exactly the size that it needs to be and exactly where I want it. The man is a pro and has signed a few books in his day and he will usually fit it wherever you put it.

Most books have ads on the back, that doesn't work form me. I don't want David Mazzuccehlli signing an Activision advertisement.

If there is an issue with the the front cover, too busy or whatever, but the back has art, I say go for it.

I had Stan Lee sign the bck of my Spider-Man #1 Platinum simply so I would be able to see the signature.

1803131320271.jpg

Most books have ads on the back, that doesn't work form me. I don't want David Mazzuccehlli signing an Activision advertisement.

If there is an issue with the the front cover, too busy or whatever, but the back has art, I say go for it.

I had Stan Lee sign the bck of my Spider-Man #1 Platinum simply so I would be able to see the signature.

1803131320271.jpg

:o You had Stan Lee sign a modern book he didn't even work on :baiting:

Maybe CGC will flip the label around in the near future for a $5 fee. (thumbs u

I did it once.

I really love "The Stuff of Legend" and CPWIII's art on the covers. I had the opportunity to get 4 signatures on the #1 and the FCBD that pre-dates #1.

But I knew there wasn't enough room on the cover without covering up the artwork. So I asked them all to sign on the back.

If someone wants to see the signatures, they are right there on the back, and they don't cover up the artwork. Unless you're framing the comic on display, I don't think it's a big deal to have them on the back. You can still see them, unlike on the inside of a slabbed comic. 2c

SoL1Front.jpgSoL1Back.jpg

SoLFCBDFront-Copy.jpgSoLFCBDBack.jpg

I can understand not wanting to disturb the cover art, but if an individual takes the time to consider signature placement, I think it can work. Here are two examples of what I think are well placed signatures:

SAM_3760.jpg

SAM_3895.jpg

After I got this sig back from stan on a somewhat expensive book (for me anyway), I am very cautious about signatures on the front:

http://comics.www.collectors-society.com/GetImage.aspx?c=2299237&t=Full&f=Obv&cb=OC8xNS8yMDE0IDExOjM5OjI0IEFN

Yes, I window-bagged the book, but someone took it out of the bag before he signed it.

I prefer my signatures on the front. I only have two books with signatures on the back, one is a blank cover the and the other has about 12 signatures at this point so the front was full. For the most part I have been lucky and the people signing don't just scrawl across the center of the cover art.

As Stan has gotten older, he cannot accommodate certain size and position windows any longer. I had all of the books in my last submission removed from the window bags, because he could not deal with them. The team did a great job of getting them in as good of places as they could. But the books I did in 2010 were the best, as his eyesight and dexterity allowed him to pretty much do it perfectly.

This does make me worry a bit about my Tales of Suspense 39 I recently submitted for him to sign. I guess however it goes, I'd rather it be signed by him than not signed any ways :) I can definitely tell the difference with his signature in that FF book. Even to books from last year. I still think that FF book looks great though!!

I remember back in the day when I sent two window bagged stan lee's to a facilitator that should not be named and obviously they removed comics from bags. They do sound like a three letter rap group though.

One was Cap 100 (signed in black on the black)

Who wants to be a superhero. All white cover except for the guy in blue/black costume (signed on black/blue of costume. Guess what three letter facilitator I have never used since?)