• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A little semi-scientific experiment

43 posts in this topic

I started a little experiment today (8/12/14). To see how well weight works for pressing a comic.

Here is the book I started with (sorry it isn't a GA but not willing to mess with one of those). It has a slight spine roll and a big non-breaking corner crease throughout the book.

null_zps3f64b66b.jpg

null_zpsa1eeb027.jpg

null_zpsacb415d9.jpg

The book was placed a a thick flat surface.

null_zps0cb21b2e.jpg

A flat smooth solid piece of plywood was placed over the book and 140lbs of weight was added. Why 140lbs you ask? Thats what I had and I like how the weights do a decent job distributing the weight.

null_zps68cdcee1.jpg

I plan to check on it every couple of weeks to see how the book looks. I will post the results.

You might get a 9.6 outta this. :wishluck:

It's not going to work. :gossip:

That's the point of this experiment, to prove that the "Church 10 foot stacks = pressing" statements are nonsense.

I don't think anybody believes 'stack of books' = 'professional pressing'.

I do think that most people believe there is some small benefit to a stack of books.

And it's obvious that the majority of Church books were not manhandled like the Marvel Tales was in this experiment.

So I think, all this experiment will show is that 'stack of books' <> 'professional pressing'...which is to be expected.

That's the point of this experiment, to prove that the "Church 10 foot stacks = pressing" statements are nonsense.

:gossip:Duh. :baiting:

:gossip:Duh. :baiting:

Not just the Church one but also the "tightly packed comic boxes = the same as pressing". Also that just pressure isn't enough to press out defect such as a slight spine roll and a non-color breaking crease.

When I was a kid, I stacked my comics. The problem was that the books bowed in the middle as the stacks grew higher - contributing to spine roll.

I've never understood how Church or anyone else could make six or seven foot stacks and wind up with perfectly flat comic books (shrug)

When I was a kid, I stacked my comics. The problem was that the books bowed in the middle as the stacks grew higher - contributing to spine roll.

I've never understood how Church or anyone else could make six or seven foot stacks and wind up with perfectly flat comic books (shrug)

:gossip: because they didn't

You didn't put enough weight on the stacks. New comics don't have creased spines. Which exaggerates the bow in the middle. Once the spine flattens out, problem solved. Look at the stacks in the below picture in front of Chuck. They are over two feet high and perfectly flat with no bowing. Those stacks clearly could have reached seven feet high. No reason to doubt Chuck's story.

large_chuck2%5B1%5D.gif

Several of the stacks are bowing. But those are the stacks after they were moved and sorted by Chuck. It's pretty amazing that several of those stacks, over two feet high, like the ones right off of his knees, are perfectly flat. They attest to the fact that it is not at all far fetched that the stacks could have reached seven feet high, and the comics towards the bottom were getting flattened out. If you think Chuck's lying, how else do you explain how flat those comics in the stacks in the picture are?

When I was young I stacked my books. No, not seven feet high but three feet no problem. All were new books but even then they could not be stacked all facing the same way, as even new they were "thicker" at the spine fold. The only way to stack high was to 180 degree rotate every four or so books so the spine was not at the same side for the whole stack.

The bottom books stayed much "flatter" in appearance, but as has been said not to the degree of a pressing.

Curiously waiting to see what happens....

Just think what a different world we would be living in if all scientists decided what they wanted their results to show before they began their experiment.

Now how will the Marvel Tales not be flatter than when this experiment started?

I have placed more than one book in a "fortress" which applies even pressure to the book over all. One Marvel Mystery had rippling on the top edge. After several years I removed the book and the rippling was gone.

Another book had a crunch on the top left corner, didn't break colour. After several years the crunch was flattened and almost unnoticeable..The fortress duplicates the experiment you are conducting.

Just think what a different world we would be living in if all scientists decided what they wanted their results to show before they began their experiment.

Now how will the Marvel Tales not be flatter than when this experiment started?

I think it wil be flatter myself. I am wondering how much flatter but I will have to see.

Also, most scientist formulate a idea (hypothesis) of what they believe will happen. Very standard part of the scientific method. (thumbs u

You might be surprised the problem with science today is too many decide what they want their results to show before they begin.

I have placed more than one book in a "fortress" which applies even pressure to the book over all. One Marvel Mystery had rippling on the top edge. After several years I removed the book and the rippling was gone.

Another book had a crunch on the top left corner, didn't break colour. After several years the crunch was flattened and almost unnoticeable..The fortress duplicates the experiment you are conducting.

This.

I've occasionally had books flatten out in the mylar. But it takes a long time.