• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Would you sell all your keys for your grail?

97 posts in this topic

I don't think I'd ever sell my keys to purchase one though. As Roy mentioned, I can't justify having that much personal money in a comic book. Ironically, I can somehow justify having that much personal money in 50 books though... (shrug)

Absolutely bang on.

If I owned a Detective #27 I probably couldn't justify it for very long. I would be seeing dollar signs and think "you know what I can do with XXX amount of money? You know how many keys I can buy?"

Then, I'd sell the Detective and buy 50 nice keys....

Then I'd think "... it was sooo cool owning a Detective #27. I want one again. I feel like I lost something. Maybe I'll sell the 50 keys and buy one!"

I guess come to think of it, I'm actually MORE happy without one otherwise this vicious circle would be playing out in my head.

^^

My grail is all the Kirby FF's it's not one book but an artists entire contribution to a book

(yep-no Woodgod joke)

I'd also like Curt Swan's first Superman book #51

There are usually a couple of Supes 51 on the bay. One on there right now for about $140...

Take it, its yours!

I don't think I'd sell all my keys to get my grail. I enjoy my comic book collection. For me, it's always been about more than one book. A big part of the fun is the pursuit and stringing together runs of books.

But if somebody offered me an Amazing Fantasy #15 in CGC 9.8 with white pages, I'd think about for a minute or two. Or I might just have a heart attack and die. Then it really wouldn't matter one way or another.

I don't think I'd sell all my keys to get my grail. I enjoy my comic book collection. For me, it's always been about more than one book. A big part of the fun is the pursuit and stringing together runs of books.

But if somebody offered me an Amazing Fantasy #15 in CGC 9.8 with white pages, I'd think about for a minute or two. Or I might just have a heart attack and die. Then it really wouldn't matter one way or another.

I was thinking that too. I like comic books.

My collection means more to me than any one single book ever would. I can't imagine wanting anything more than wanting a "collection" like I already have.

I guess this is tied to my previous post in this thread where I said I don't even have a grail. No single book is bigger than my collection (speaking sentimentally).

I'd love to end up with just 5 books.

Marvel #1

Tec #27

Action #1

Supes #1

Batman #1

It will, of course probably never happen. I'm in a position where, if I sold all my books (I only collect key 1st apps) then I could now buy a Batman and Superman #1 (and some remember how well that went last time.... :facepalm: )

It's actually doing it......

When the time comes, it may be harder than you think. I'd kill for a 3.5 / 4.0 Batman #1 + Supes #1 - but that means no Hulk #1 - no Jim #83, no Avengers #1, no FF #1 etc etc.

It's really hard to pull the trigger on selling 50 books to buy 2. I know I can get those 50 again - anyone can with hard work and patience - but it took years to get them.

Now to sell them all to buy 2 books..... and have the proceeds sitting in a bank account whilst waiting for said books to become available.....

It's one hell of a decision, and I am struggling with it.

And then the only way to get the Tec or Action would mean having to sell the Bats and Supes..........and then start again.

I honestly believe it is doable - but will most likely take the rest of my life to do it.

Funny books, eh? :screwy:

What would you do if you were going to carefully read your Action #1 before you sent it for slabbing and went to get some cocoa and when you came back your cat was busy shredding it?

What would you do if you were going to carefully read your Action #1 before you sent it for slabbing and went to get some cocoa and when you came back your cat was busy shredding it?

I would end up shredding the damn CAT! :pullhair: