• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rick's Top Twenty Five Silver Age Covers...

70 posts in this topic

I love that FF Annual #1 comic. No one drew Sub-Mariner like Jack Kirby!!!

A Sub-Mariner trivia question...Fantastic Four #27 and FF Annual #1 were two of the three times that Subby wore that red swimsuit. What was the third? (This is in the EASY category)

Anybody got a scan of the third book?

A Sub-Mariner trivia question...Fantastic Four #27 and FF Annual #1 were two of the three times that Subby wore that red swimsuit. What was the third? (This is in the EASY category)

Not to start an arguement here, I love Kirby's work but I felt that no one captured the essence of how the Sub-Mariner should look like big John B. I'm sure Burnt Boy (or at least I think its Burnt's? confused-smiley-013.gif) won't mind if I use a scan of his Sub-Mariner #1 to illustrate. This cover says it all, I'm bad, I'm cool and don't mess with me. 893applaud-thumb.gif

sub_1_nm.jpg

Not to start an arguement here, I love Kirby's work but I felt that no one captured the essence of how the Sub-Mariner should look like big John B. I'm sure Burnt Boy (or at least I think its Burnt's? confused-smiley-013.gif) won't mind if I use a scan of his Sub-Mariner #1 to illustrate. This cover says it all, I'm bad, I'm cool and don't mess with me. 893applaud-thumb.gif

sub_1_nm.jpg

Or it says; I'm Namor, I'm wearing a swim-suit & I've got a great-big fork: "Let's Eat!" devil.gif

I will say this for John B: He made the Surfer look really good! thumbsup2.gif And his work on the Avengers was top notch!!! thumbsup2.gif

No argument from me. I think John Buscema did a great job on Subby and Silver Surfer. I liked Kirby's stuff better, but I still looked forward to JB's stuff every month back in the day. I DID NOT like Gene Colan's, or, believe it or not, Bill Everett's "Tales To Astonish" Sub-Mariner.

yup, as i stated earlier, that cover won the Alley award (presented by Alter Ego Fanzine and named after alley oop) for best cover of 1961. it kicks ...... thumbsup2.gif

and all these years, i never noticed all the buildings going up in the background as Aman points out - looks like they're building a whole new city......... 893whatthe.gif

showoff!!!!!!!!!!!!!

man those books of yours kick ............... hail.gif

Actually, none of those books are mine except for the B&B 34 (Western Penn CGC 9.4). sorry.gif I DO have 9.4 copies of Showcase 34 and JLA 21, but not the copies that I posted, which I took from Heritage's site out of laziness because I don't have scans of my copies.

my top 10 is:

1) fantastic four #5

2) fantastic four #12

3) amazing spider-man #3

4) amazing spider-man #20

5) incredible hulk #1

6) incredible hulk #2

7) amazing spider-man #1

8) tales of suspense #39

9) nick fury agent of shield #1

10) avengers #4

yeah when it comes to silver age i am a marvel fanatic! i did these off the top of my head because i thought i already had a top 10 but i realized while compiling the list that i really only had a concrete top 9 so after some thought i put avengers 4 in the tenth spot - after some more thought i have decided when i vote silver surfer #4 will get the 10th spot instead!

Hey, Mar-vell. Your top 10 covers are all Marvels?!? poke2.gif

i did vote for 2 DC's in the bronze contest! As far as silver it's mostly because of kirby, his early covers especially on many keys are just masterpieces! Ditko isn't bad either!