• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should auction sites be auctioning off counterfeit books?

101 posts in this topic

This really bothers me. I don't think CGC should be grading fake books and I certainly don't think any reputable dealer should be selling them.

How is it that trimming a micrometer off a corner makes you a crook but selling counterfeit books is cool?

Auction Item: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (1984 Magazine) 1COUNTERFEIT CGC 9.4

Paper: White

Slab: New, unblemished

COUNTERFEIT.

CGC Serial #0502153001

Ends 10d 20:29:48

Bid History 13 bids

Current Bid $201.50

Your Secret Max Bid

$ (must bid at least $204.00) About auction bidding

Auction bids are binding. Do not bid unless you intend to pay for the item if you are the winning bidder.

COUNTERFEIT. Origin and 1st appearance of the Turtles and Splinter. Shredder appearance. Counterfeit copies can be identified by a half inch wide white streak or scratch marks across the center of the back cover, as well as a bluish black instead of a deep black on the black part of the cover. Counterfeit copies also have very white inside paper and the inside cover is a bright white. $1.50 cover price, 7.5" x 11" Cover price $1.50.

I thought notorious counterfeits like this book and Cerebus #1 always received a 'NG' grade? When did this change?

Not a fan. At all.

I see this book was graded 7/28/14...

I remember that price guides used to list some of the better-known counterfeits, like Cerebus 1, TMNT1, and Cry for Dawn 1 with a value of $0.00 and a description of how to tell it was a counterfeit. I'm not sure why anyone would bid a known fake up to $200+, but I don't like it.

I'd rather it be in a slab than not and clearly labeled as counterfeit. Doesn't this protect the buyer? (shrug)

Corrupt sellers would not label it as such and try to pass it off as authentic (if in fact they realized it was a counterfeit).

I thought notorious counterfeits like this book and Cerebus #1 always received a 'NG' grade? When did this change?

Not a fan. At all.

No, CGC has always graded the counterfeits (Cerebus #1, TMNT #1, Cry for Dawn #1) just like any other books. I personally think they're an interesting part of comic book history :shrug:

cerebus-1-counterfeit-cgc-9.6-f.jpg

Not a fan. At all.

No, CGC has always graded the counterfeits (Cerebus #1, TMNT #1, Cry for Dawn #1) just like any other books. I personally think they're an interesting part of comic book history :shrug:

The book shadroch is referring to is in our auction. My understanding was like mschmidt said--now collectable as a part of comic history, and something that some buyers want to collect.

Not a fan. At all.

The book shadroch is referring to is in our auction. My understanding was like mschmidt said--now collectable as a part of comic history, and something that some buyers want to collect.

+1

Not a fan. At all.

+1

I think it's an interesting component, too. I had a lot of fun cataloging the differences between an authentic and counterfeit CFD #1. But on counterfeit books - perhaps CGC should not 'grade' them. An authentication would be good, but I personally think that they should get an NG designation.

As for being in auction, it doesn't really bother me. It is part of what completist collectors look for (myself included).

CGC graded a counterfeit X-Men #94 as a NG:

X-Men-94_Counterfeit.jpg

I asked about this one at some point and was told it got an NG because this book, unlike the Cerebus, TMNT, etc copies, doesn't have any historical significance.

I believe there's a particular history with the TMNT copies in particular. I believe there are certain collector's-- even on this board-- who search diligently for them, as it's a part of that series and run's lore/history.

Same with the Cerebus and Cry for Dawn counterfeits :thumbsup:

Not a fan. At all.

+1

I think it's an interesting component, too. I had a lot of fun cataloging the differences between an authentic and counterfeit CFD #1. But on counterfeit books - perhaps CGC should not 'grade' them. An authentication would be good, but I personally think that they should get an NG designation.

C

As for being in auction, it doesn't really bother me. It is part of what completist collectors look for (myself included).

No currency collector I know of feels the need to include counterfeit bills in their collection.

I find it sad that so many people here seem to have no problem with it.

Not a fan. At all.

+1

C

No currency collector I know of feels the need to include counterfeit bills in their collection.

I find it sad that so many people here seem to have no problem with it.

What would be the reasoning behind having a problem with it?

So CGC has determined there are good counterfeits and bad ones.

That's the part I don't get. They should all get the same designation. It would be interesting to find a counterfeit X-Men 94, crack it and compare the differences to the book, as well as try to determine why CGC gives it a NG instead of a grade.