• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Estate planning and your comic collection

51 posts in this topic

I've been downsizing for a number of years now.

First my Modern Age, then the Copper then the Bronze.

I started my late Silver Age last year. I think 1967 books will be next up going backwards year-by-year.

The downSIDE has been I've picked up some collections this year stalling my own books working on the new backstock.

I hope I'm around long enough to see it thru to completion.

It's been a lot of work and tons o' fun.

I thought about it, but I don't know nor care. At that point, I'm dead.

Amen, brother. I once had thoughts about what I wanted for a ceremony and such, but then realized that I wouldn't be there, so it didn't matter to me. I've told them I don't want them spending a bunch of money for a fancy funeral/casket etc on my account, but it was up to them.

I have a verbal agreement with a board member that he will assist in the disposal of my books.

My will indicates where I want the proceeds to go. Hopefully, it goes smoothly.

Unless the boardie pre-deceases, then all bets are off!

:eek:

I do need to formalize this someday soon, over a couple adult beverages.

How many of you have a plan in place for how to deal with your enormous collections of books and collectibles?

Have you designated someone who understands the collection to handle it for you?

Are you actively trying to downsize your books or planning to downsize as you get closer to the end of your life?

Donations to charity? Estate sales? what would be the best for your books in your opinion when you die?

What's this end of life/when you're going to die thing you speak of? :o

How many of you have a plan in place for how to deal with your enormous collections of books and collectibles?

Have you designated someone who understands the collection to handle it for you?

Are you actively trying to downsize your books or planning to downsize as you get closer to the end of your life?

Donations to charity? Estate sales? what would be the best for your books in your opinion when you die?

What's this end of life/when you're going to die thing you speak of? :o

just us mortals playing kick the can-- nothing to worry about Morbius

I've recently come to the realization that I'll need to sell off my collection at some point and hopefully it will be a good way to keep myself busy once I retire. Probably should think about what to do if I don't make it that long. :eek:

Yea but what if one of your kids goes and sells a long box for $20 bucks full of books worth thousands? That is where the issue comes in.

Hopefully I won't have that issue as my kids will develop a similar passion for the medium, but you never know.

I tried one time to explain to my significant other concept of value to my various collections, and explained I had spread sheets, but that they don't have pictures, so you still need to know what is what. And also that the spreadsheet doesn't update itself for current trends. I started to point out big ticket items (over $1k/ea.)...

Her eyes glazed over, and said it sounded much too confusing. (Sad to say I picked a looker, not a rocket scientist.) So she asked if we could just sell it all now and go on vacation or buy a fancy car.

There was a long pause, and at that moment I decided; if/when I pass, she can give it all away to Good Will for a several hundred dollar donation. After all, I will be worm food, and I won't be in a condition of concern that she lost tens of thousands of dollars.

And she will be all..."Yay, life Insurance policies! I have New Shoe Money! I'm going to Nordstroms! And I'm sure Terry would have wanted to be cremated."

-Terry

well that is exactly what this thread is about--- if that sort of lack of caring/effort/understanding of what you have built and how valuable it can be if handled properly-- well-- that is an asset that requires some forward thinking and planning imo. Sure-- you are worm food-- ok-- no problem - that could not be helped. But you can get your stuff lined up to be dealt with without impacting her directly. She can still have the money or your kids or whoever-- but why just waste it? That is almost worse than burning them to me.

I'm in this group. I can understand the peace of mind planning the destination of something so important to a person. Sadly, I'm into my comics as much as my mom is into collecting clowns - but whenever the inevitable happens, I will have as much interest in inheriting those clowns as my wife will have inheriting my comic krap.

My SO is 10 years older than me. So I'm sort of hedging that she will not have to deal with it, either. I have no children, and I truely despise my siblings and their rotten offspring. And when I'm dead, I'm....just dead.

I suspect my "stuff" will eventually find its way to people that will appreciate it, I don't mean to be apathetic but really don't know what else to do about it.

-Terry

My SO is 10 years older than me. So I'm sort of hedging that she will not have to deal with it, either.

Sounds like your best plan would be to somehow get your Significant Other into comics so you can get handed down a collection. ;)

All I have is about 150 long boxes of 90's drek. I'm going to leave my estate to my kids with the admonition not to sell it cheaply. That there are some really valuable comics in there.

Be sure to buy them a couple of timeshares on your way out.

All I have is about 150 long boxes of 90's drek. I'm going to leave my estate to my kids with the admonition not to sell it cheaply. That there are some really valuable comics in there.

Be sure to buy them a couple of timeshares on your way out.

lol