• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spider-Woman isn't good for women when she looks like this

385 posts in this topic

This is not a great example of MM's work. But to get upset about it is like getting PO'd because they hired Leifeld to draw a cover and none of the characters have feet.

Manara is a pinup / cheeky artist. To get upset about him doing what he was hired to do is insanity IMO.

Be pissed at Marvel for hiring him for the wrong project, not him doing his job....

i hate articles like this, if someone finds the cover offensive, then don't buy it. Political Correctness does FAR more harm then good, and far more harm then every comic book cover ever made...

(thumbs u

Some people always, always feel the need to find a way to be offended.

Startin' up a posse, by Anthrax, is a great song for those hypersensitive types to absorb.

I think she looks fine. She should look that way when slinking back in the bedroom or the kitchen to make me some bacon and eggs. :baiting:

Her neck and head is off where it should be. A little too far to one side. I'd like to retract my Liefeld comment, that's way too harsh for this artwork. A minor anatomy issue is not worth chastising the whole piece. I do like the pose. I think the shadowing on her neck (the implied trapezius muscle which connects directly to the neck and base of the skull) is going off in a direction that makes it look odd and not connected to the head. Perhaps a little shadow on her back behind her head would have helped a bit. Like I said, it's not much - but enough to make me look twice.

It's a little more apparant at full size:

SPIDERWOMAN001Manara-06299-600x853.0.jpg

I agree, but I will say it is pretty well done for a water color.

Absolutely. That's why I wanted to retract my earlier statement. I think it's great, and a helluva lot more stylish than I could pull off with watercolors. The neck issue just a minor problem in an otherwise nice piece.

Man, this guy seriously can't draw. Did he win some kind of contest and get the chance to make a cover or something? I've seen better fan art.

Dan

Yeah, he won a contest - being a world famous comic artist for the last 40 years :makepoint:

Man, this guy seriously can't draw. Did he win some kind of contest and get the chance to make a cover or something? I've seen better fan art.

Dan

Yeah, he won a contest - being a world famous comic artist for the last 40 years :makepoint:

Can we please get back on topic! This thread is about bashing an artist and his work with little or no context or information!

ktx!

Dat ...

First off its not even that great of a cover, i've seen better by Milo.

But the controversy over the art is what we get in the hyper PC era that we now live in. Somebody, somewhere will be offended. Don't like it don't buy it. Let the market speak.

I agree, but I will say it is pretty well done for a water color.

The watercolor work is great, it’s just that often Manara almost gives the impression he is no longer able to draw. I can only hope or guess he has assistants and people doing work for him, that would explain.

His X-Men were dreadful (not to mention the "story" by Chris Claremont… :sick: ).

Dan

Wow. That's too bad, 'cuz this one stinks. So I stand corrected, this 'famous' guy seriously can't draw.

Dan

He can draw, and very well – as I tried to guess, he probably had an assistant doing this Spider-Woman, which would be bad… still.

qT4BKonh.gif

That's from one of his more restrained stories, 'Indian Summer'. Very nice artwork, I agree.

I like that fact that there are so many things wrong with that horrible cover it brings everybody to the discussion! :) Fabric does not work that way around a butt, perspective of buildings are odd/off, super small nose, her neck is broken, etc... :)

But seriously, the main thing wrong with it are the fans who cry 'but spider-man is in that pose often! it happens to men!' - yes, he is, but he is shown as having done something heroic (as shown on the previous example; catching crooks) and thus the pose is used to convey a power fantasy whereas this is 100% simply done to sexualize the character (which has been a problem for...forever, but does not excuse it any less). Don't have to be a scholar to see that or the problem with it.

Nice water color though ;) (except for those windows....why are some red & orange?)

Well at least we know where he got the pose from, he just had to reach back and pull out some of his previous work as reference.

Dont worry, the original image was NSFW but I put Spider-Womans spandex cosume over it - and if it's good enough for a Marvel cover then it's good enough for everyone.

spider_zpsc44ba6db.jpg

Kinda obvious why that pose and coloring is a problem (note: I don't have a problem with the artist and the work he does - you hire him you know this is what you are going to get; this is more of an issue of what Marvel was thinking when doing so)

It's apparently quite unpopular for anything to be offensive with this crowd.

You don't need to take a women's lib course at Sweet Briar College to see how ridiculous that cover is and how embarrassing it is as a comic fan that the powers that be feel that's what I find attractive or female readers should relate to.

Also, for those who are ironically so offended at others being offended I say I hope your daughter's don't follow their male created female role models or they will be in for a questionable existence. I sure as mess wouldn't want that image on my daughter's wall or a lamp of that garbage on her desk. My son on the other hand loves his Spider Man figures and his Iron Man stuffed animal and his Captain America statue.

I'm new here, so I don't know how to recommend this or to whom, and even though I've participated in this thread, it really shouldn't be here in the first place according to the rules...at least not in the form it was introduced?

"No politics in any way, shape or form."...

"These message boards were provided as a means for people to discuss their favorite hobbies and to provide us with a more open channel of communication with our customers.

We are happy that we can provide a place where people can mingle and share their experiences and we thank all of those who contribute to making this a positive place for anyone to visit.

Best regards to all!"