• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spider-Woman isn't good for women when she looks like this

385 posts in this topic

I was just reading some books from the 70's. Some JLA's and I guess they were depicting their version of feminism. Wonder Woman was down right nasty (turns out there was an alien influence) but the Black Canary was very cool. True she wore fishnets and a skin tight outfit, but she saved the day in more than one instance and objected to Ollie "owning" her. She was fine having a "relationship" with him but she was able to handle herself just fine. Perhaps sometimes even better than he could...and GA was never in anything I read (until the CW) an "equalicist".

There is a lot more leniency with stuff published now than in the 70's and sexy covers do attract attention, look at all the attention this one has gotten. Favio covers sold romance novels in the 80's. Vampires are very hot now but I've never even seen the book covers that someone showed before, but then I tend to borrow books from libraries, even on my kindle.

Kindles and Nooks are going to hurt those cover artists.

I borrow the books for what's inside...

So I guess my question is...what is INSIDE that cover? I've never read Spider-Woman...are they good stories? or are these books that people just collect and don't ever open?

How is she depicted inside? Is she a character who is a good role model for girls, or is she a hottie who is marketed for men who would like someone out of I Dream of Genie step into their bedroom?

It's funny...Marvel does just fine in their Agents of Shield show, so does DC in Arrow. I don't expect the female agents to show up in hoop shirts...and their characters for the most part are strong and intelligent.

They are also attractive, but they look so much alike, it's hard to tell them apart...

(thumbs u "What's inside?" is definitely the bottomline question.

All those novel covers I posted earlier came from Goodreads.com. If you're chewing through eBooks at a pretty good clip it's an excellent resource for exploring new releases, what's trending, genre lists, reviews and cover art. I probably go there daily just looking around to jot down possibilities.

And I'm curious your eReader doesn't do Covers. :o They definitely add to the fun. Both my Nook HD and Android tablet do bookshelf-visual-simulations. The android app is Aldiko and nook's is proprietary, and both do a good job.

I gotta have those covers! :cloud9::grin:

10431993_491557194309132_639164703_a.jpg

The books on my kindle open up on the first page of text. Some have page numbers, some do not. I miss seeing how many pages are left, but they do a timed analysis showing how much time is left in the book, or the percentage.

I see covers on the library pages, but I don't pay all that much attention, so I have learned not to miss them. That old adage has a lot of truth..."Never judge a book by it's cover" ;)

There seems to be more people in a tizzy about the people they expect to be in a tizzy. hm

Dan

It's funny you say that. I went back to the Vox article that started all the hoopla thinking "If Marvel made a statement I want to read exactly what they said" I couldn't find one. The nearest thing is their press-release about the lady Thor.

So at the core of all this tizzy is one guy-blogger projecting his guy-expectations of how he feels pop-culture should be trending onto Marvel. It's purely an opinion piece.

The books on my kindle open up on the first page of text. Some have page numbers, some do not. I miss seeing how many pages are left, but they do a timed analysis showing how much time is left in the book, or the percentage.

I see covers on the library pages, but I don't pay all that much attention, so I have learned not to miss them. That old adage has a lot of truth..."Never judge a book by it's cover" ;)

Oh yeah. I had a LookBook that did that. I always scrolled backward until I saw the cover, then I could begin. :blush:lol

A story-junkie first and foremost, but visual to the core. :grin:

who would like someone out of I Dream of Genie step into their bedroom?

smiley-raising-waving-hand.gif

Peace,

Chip

Aunt Agatha?

Milo does great work and has no reason to defend himself. His critics are waaaay out of touch on this one.

This. With little effort he could draw circles around those some consider "better" -- never has been any accounting for taste, though. Which explains things nicely. :)

Milo does great work and has no reason to defend himself. His critics are waaaay out of touch on this one.

This. With little effort he could draw circles around those some consider "better" -- never has been any accounting for taste, though. Which explains things nicely. :)

If she is trying to pull up her other leg as the artist has mentioned, then why is her left leg flayed out to the side like that? Seriously, the best leverage she would get to pull up her right leg is to have the left leg facing forward.

Try crawling over a wall like this sometime. I don't think it is possible.

Great lines, great composition, impossible pose = bad drawing.

I don't think anyone is actually blaming him on this. I love his art, and even the top artists get perspective wrong or the human body twisted (I do think this is his worst of all his Marvel covers on a technical level) but what he delivered is bang on (Railing on the style of Land though, is fair game, that is consistently bad)

Check out this great article on what people are actually upset by, and it isn't Milo doing what he does best.

Great article on what is wrong here

I don't think anyone is actually blaming him on this. I love his art, and even the top artists get perspective wrong or the human body twisted (I do think this is his worst of all his Marvel covers on a technical level) but what he delivered is bang on (Railing on the style of Land though, is fair game, that is consistently bad)

Check out this great article on what people are actually upset by, and it isn't Milo doing what he does best.

That was a great article, thank you for sharing it.

That was a great article, thank you for sharing it.

Indeed!