• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Smokey Slab

9 posts in this topic

So I finally receive my book from Vault, and it reeks of smoke. Being a non-smoker the smell is very easy to pinpoint and very strong. Anyone have any ideas for removing the smell from the slab? Obviously one option is to get the book reholdered. Any other ideas? Thx

Brian

Don't know if this will actually work or not, but it's worth a shot:

Get a 1 or 2 gallon ziplock bag & a Refrigerator box of Arm & Hammer baking soda ( the one that has a cloth bag inside the box.) Put the slab & the box(open it, of course) into the ziplock bag & leave it there for a couple of weeks. Worth a try. hi.gif

All I can think of is to clean the slab with some kind of good glass cleaner and then let it sit out in the open air, or near an air freshener for a few weeks after. Hopefully the glass cleaner (or something like 409) will clean off the residue and leaving it out for a while may let what's left just wear off. I dunno, it's a shot. confused-smiley-013.gif

I've never received smokey slabs before, but certainly smokey raw comics. After letting them sit out (unbagged) for a while, and then rebagging a while later, the smokey smell eventually wears off. Just don't clean your raw comics with that 409. foreheadslap.gif

All I can think of is to clean the slab with some kind of good glass cleaner and then let it sit out in the open air, or near an air freshener for a few weeks after. Hopefully the glass cleaner (or something like 409) will clean off the residue and leaving it out for a while may let what's left just wear off. I dunno, it's a shot. confused-smiley-013.gif

I've never received smokey slabs before, but certainly smokey raw comics. After letting them sit out (unbagged) for a while, and then rebagging a while later, the smokey smell eventually wears off. Just don't clean your raw comics with that 409. foreheadslap.gif

Hey Bass,

If you do, make sure it's a glass cleaner without ammonia (ammonia(sp?) will cause the case to get a cloudy apperance). 409 will do the same. I've used WD-40 on slabs to clean & remove stickers, so it cool to use. hi.gif

Fuel, thanks for the tip, good to clear that up. I haven't had to clean a slab, but that is good to know if I do ever need to. Wouldn't the WD- 40 leave some kind of oily residue though?

Nope, just wipe the residue away. It's a petrolium product which dries out. Plastic, like the slab, is also a petrolium product. Never had a problem with WD-40.

Tha ammonia thing: Ever go to a Salad Bar or Buffet where the sneeze guard looks cloudy? The sneeze guard is plexi-glass (plastic) and the workers have used an ammoniated product to clean it. That's how I know this.

If the smoke is inside the slab, I would give the "baking soda inside a plastic bag for a couple of weeks" a try. Certainly won't hurt anything to try.