• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2005 NEW YEAR'S COMIC COLLECTING RESOLUTIONS??

50 posts in this topic

My goal is to continue working on my run of Haunted Thrills in 5.0 - 6.0. I bought about 4 or 5 issues this past year and hope to get about 4 more. Another book I'd like to find is a copy of Black Cat Mystery #50 in about VG.

By the end of the year I will own a page from one of Alan Moore's classic runs. It does not matter if it's Watchmen, Swamp Thing, V, Miracleman, From Hell.

Take your pick... grin.gif

hail.gifhail.gifhail.gifhail.gif

Dan, you are the frikkin' man!!!!!!

Site needs updated. No pages currently available per JT. frown.giffrown.giffrown.gif

Man, I went from top o' the mountain back to Earth in about 30 minutes.

Put my collection (or the bulk of it) from high grade into low/mid grade. I've already sold off most of my HG slabs, and am in the process of selling the rest. Then I'll beging slabbing the rest of my raw high grade to be sold and replaced with books VF and below (with only a few exceptions).

Aquire more trades, HCs and readable material.

Work on finishing run of Avengers. Pick up more 100 page and 80 page giant DC books. Buy more Bats, Tecs, and JLAs. Seek out a few keys including FF 25, 26, Detective 227 (just bought a VG+ yesterday, but I think this is one book I'd get in HG if I could find it), and Thor 126 in 9.0 or 8.5.

I see a similar trend to almost everyones resolutions..that use big words like: refrain... curb....narrow..focus....resist....organize

Too funny, seems that we all have the same illness.. just affects each of us in a different manner.

No cure in sight as far as I can see.

So my resolutions ar as follows.

#1. Try to maintain my current focus through this next year, and not jump onto another collecting bandwagon that might strike my fancy.And make sure I continue to narrow the titles I chase.

#2.Refrain from impulse buys, make sure what I buy... is actually what I really need. Which goes hand in hand with my first resolution.

#3. To try and curb my spending and pay UNDER guide for everything I buy, even if it is in HG.

#4.I will try and make an effort to resist participating in flame wars, witch hunts, and all negative posts in the upcoming year. But I will most likely break this resolution. devil.gif

#5. Oh.. and there is that organize thing also...yuck.. spend my dwindling comic money on bag/boards?....I will try.. I actually do so love a new 4 mil.

Good luck to everyone... I know I will need it.

Ze-

For the New Year, I'd like to keep a better handle of forumites' ebay accounts and perfect my bid stalking and surveillance technique. From the reports and posts on here, it seems we have the most astute group of comic buyers when it comes to finding key books and steal-of-a-deals out there on ebay in the deluge of virtual comic book sewage. I would like to snipe everyone more often and take advantage of these deals myself by flipping these books that I have no personal interest in, at unheard of multiples...or in the very least, drive up the winning bids, punishment style, so they are no longer deals if won devil.gif Happy New Year and here's to a succesful 2005...for me! 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gifacclaim.gif

For the New Year, I'd like to keep a better handle of forumites' ebay accounts and perfect on my bid stalking and surveillance technique. From the reports and posts on here, it seems we have the most astute group of comic buyers when it comes to finding key books and steal-of-a-deals out there on ebay in the deluge of virtual comic book sewage. I would like to snipe everyone more often and take advantage of these deals myself by flipping these books that I have no personal interest in, at unheard of multiples...or in the very least, drive up the winning bids, punishment style, so they are no longer deals if won devil.gif Happy New Year and here's to a succesful 2005...for me! 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gifacclaim.gif

Nah...it's all overblown hype! Nothing to see here... tongue.gifsumo.gif

Jim

My resolution is simple....track down my current top 5 books in F/VF or better.

1. Marvel Spotlight 2

2. Detective 395

3. Sinister House of Secret Love 1

4. Wonder Woman 199

5. Journey into Mystery 118

Looks like number 3 might be down if this purchase pans out condition wise....got it for a sweet price to boot!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=6501800737&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT

In the last year I became a bit more focused on what I wanted to complete during "my collecting lifetime" which led to the creation of my wanted list used in my sig. I now will only buy back issues listed there, in hopes of one day completing those sets.

With that in mind, my collecting goals in 2005 are to get at least 2-3 books a month average off that list this year (I am going to two comic conventions this year). Also, I have about 1500 Marvels that don't really fit my collecting interests anymore. I need to get organized and start selling them to support my DC habit. For some reason, the procrastonator in me doesn't move half as fast to sell comics, as it does to buy them. insane.gif

be more picky when rummaging through 50 cent and $1 bins

get some more interesting art, but don't pay too much for it

sell 1000-2000 comics (about 3-6 long boxes) to make my wife happy, clean up my collection a bit

buy whatever i can afford that's priced right that makes sense to me that i like (and hide them from my wife so she doesn't see how I've just replaced what I sold)

stop buying bronze age marvels that I have sextuples of already just because they're dirt cheap.. i say that every year, but i still buy more. no more power man, no more defenders, no more two-in-one... it never works. if i see a nice conan with a 25 cent cover price i just can't stop myself.

and while i'm at it, enough with the eclectic DC bronze titles -- korak, tarzan, strange sports, etc. I may be cornering the market on that stuff -- too bad it's a very small market.

stop buying green lanterns (SA series) from about issues 110-200. i have them up the wazoo, but when i see them i can't resist.

i should probably do the same for thors from about issue 220-300.

I plan on the following in 2005...

1) Finish runs of Ghosts and Witching Hour.

2) Add a VF+ or better Hulk 181 to my collection.

3) Finish my collection of every Ghost Rider appearance.

4) Hoard all the sweet Bronze DC's I can get my hands on. cloud9.gif

5) Work on my predetermined collection of Bronze Keys.

6) Quit smoking. sumo.gif

Well at least you've got your priorities in the right order. smile.gif Seriously, though, good luck with all that, especially quitting smoking.

stop buying bronze age marvels that I have sextuples of already just because they're dirt cheap.. i say that every year, but i still buy more. no more power man, no more defenders, no more two-in-one...

stop buying green lanterns (SA series) from about issues 110-200. i have them up the wazoo, but when i see them i can't resist.

Hey, can send you my want list for Power Man, MTIO, and Green Lantern? smile.gif893crossfingers-thumb.gif (I tried PM'ing you, but you don't accept PMs, and your e-mail isn't posted in your profile, either).

If you move #6 to #1, you will be around longer to complete your goals! thumbsup2.gif