• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Inexpensive Superman CGC comic question

42 posts in this topic

I will try to be careful here as I have been ripped apart before, so let me preference this once again that I don't know much about comic books. I am a Superman collector who appreciates the collectability of the character, the art and all the fun stuff I can get my hands on.

Recently I have been thinking of acquiring a few CGC Superman books to add to my basement walls and I am curious to know what issues are out there worth getting that aren't terribly expensive. I'm thinking in the $100-$200 range. Does this even exist or am I way under budget?

I'm heading to Fan Expo in Toronto next weekend and would at least like to have a reference point incase I see something.

Thanks

It all depends on grade, issues/era you're looking for.

Look on Ebay (completed listings) or an auction sites like Heritage, Comiclink, ComicConnect to see what prices they are selling for.

There is also an subscription services for graded books if you want but for a quick, free reference, the above sites are great.

You can easily find slabbed Superman books for the value you stated but your question is fairly broad.

I will try to be careful here as I have been ripped apart before, so let me preference

Preface :)

this once again that I don't know much about comic books. I am a Superman collector who appreciates the collectability of the character, the art and all the fun stuff I can get my hands on.

Recently I have been thinking of acquiring a few CGC Superman books to add to my basement walls and I am curious to know what issues are out there worth getting that aren't terribly expensive. I'm thinking in the $100-$200 range. Does this even exist or am I way under budget?

Depends on what era and what grade you want.

GA, SA, BA, copper or modern?

What condition do you want?

Superman or related titles (Action, World's Finest, Superman/Batman...)?

Your budget is your best guide. I wouldn't limit your collection to CGC only unless it is the slab presentation you are going for. The list mentioned above is decent for an inexpensive modern slab list.

I understand my request was somewhat vague. I'll see if I can narrow this down a little.

I would prefer the older covers (Silver I think) but obviously those will go for more money, depending on condition.

Are there any inexpensive key issues that are within my range? Or sought after covers that you guys feel are a good bang for the buck?

The 233 that Barth mentioned is an awesome cover! You could probably get an Action 340 in a 8.0/8.5, in your range - first parasite, which also has an awesome cover. Only hitch is graded copies don't seem to come up that often. You could always buy a nice raw copy and submit yourself. Good luck!

yah I would look at the death of superman run for some doomsday action

and maybe the Jim Lee superman run?

you could go for some bronze neal adams superman stuffs too.

I understand my request was somewhat vague. I'll see if I can narrow this down a little.

I would prefer the older covers (Silver I think) but obviously those will go for more money, depending on condition.

Right, depending on condition.

Are there any inexpensive key issues that are within my range?

What condition do you want them in? From 1- 10, 1 being the worst, what are you looking for? That determines if there are any inexpensive keys in your range.

Or sought after covers that you guys feel are a good bang for the buck?

The Superman 233 suggestion above is a good one. Not quite Silver, but close enough.

I have a Superman MOS #19 but was told previously that its nothing really worth doing anything with

I also have Superman 204 Jim Lee that I was told the same

I have a Superman MOS #19 but was told previously that its nothing really worth doing anything with

I also have Superman 204 Jim Lee that I was told the same

ah my bad, wall books

sketch cover from the Jim Lee run is good.

then go find you favorite neal adams cover.

http://www.comics.org/

Find a cover you like, go to Ebay, Clink and Mycomicshop and see what's for sale.

Yeah I've certainly looked as I figured that would be the easiest but I thought Id like to get an issue that you as fellow collectors would appreciate instead of just buying it for the cover.

Something with some importance to it if that makes sense.

Right, depending on condition.

Are there any inexpensive key issues that are within my range?

What condition do you want them in? From 1- 10, 1 being the worst, what are you looking for? That determines if there are any inexpensive keys in your range.

Or sought after covers that you guys feel are a good bang for the buck?

The Superman 233 suggestion above is a good one. Not quite Silver, but close enough.

I guess the condition isn't as important to me as the coolness factor. I'll never read/sell them, I just want some CGC books for my collection. So if the condition is poor but the story/cover is important them I'd be happy.

Superman 149 is the last 10 cent issue, the 8th legion and very collectible. 147 is the league of Super Villians, it mimics Adv 247 (first legion of super heroes)

Comics.org is a great place to look...and I'd agree with buying something raw and having it graded if you want it slabbed.