• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Inexpensive Superman CGC comic question

42 posts in this topic

So I'm best to buy it raw and then send it to CGC myself?

I thought I read that it makes more sense to already buy it graded as the first person took the risk and expense?

x5 the price.

Find a copy that looks nice and presentable for the money you want to spend on it and also has nice cover appeal. Doesn't matter what the grade comes to after that. You will be happy with it.

I thought I read that it makes more sense to already buy it graded as the first person took the risk and expense?

Does the book you want HAVE to be slabbed? A comic looks much better in a Mylar than it does in the CGC slab.

http://www.comics.org/

Find a cover you like, go to Ebay, Clink and Mycomicshop and see what's for sale.

Yeah I've certainly looked as I figured that would be the easiest but I thought Id like to get an issue that you as fellow collectors would appreciate instead of just buying it for the cover.

Why do you care what fellow collectors appreciate? Find something YOU appreciate. Do you have a favorite artist?

Does the book you want HAVE to be slabbed? A comic looks much better in a Mylar than it does in the CGC slab.

I just thought it would be nice to have a couple inexpensive unique or important covers/story lines to go up on my wall. I'd prefer slabbed but I guess in the same vain I could just buy some nice frames to put them in too.

If that's the case I'd love to get some raw books from the 60's or older but I assume those are going to be big money, right?

Very presentable. Maybe not as secure.

Find a cover you like, go to Ebay, Clink and Mycomicshop and see what's for sale.

Yeah I've certainly looked as I figured that would be the easiest but I thought Id like to get an issue that you as fellow collectors would appreciate instead of just buying it for the cover.

Why do you care what fellow collectors appreciate? Find something YOU appreciate. Do you have a favorite artist?

Because I respect people opinions in something I know very little about. I just thought if I could track down an important book that's not going to break the bank it would mean more to me then buying one with a pretty cover that's meaningless.

The risk would be in having the book come back restored, but I'm guessing that if you're just looking to hang the book on the wall as a display piece, having a restored book would be of little consequence. This way you can do as suggested and find the right cover with the right eye appeal, factor in the cost of the book, shipping and grading fees and find a book that hits your price point...If you've got an issue with the purple label, buy a slabbed book.

I just thought it would be nice to have a couple inexpensive unique or important covers/story lines to go up on my wall.

Ok, I think I understand better. You just want help identifying important events in Superman history, covers that the hobby thinks/agrees are iconic, turning points in Superman's life, a "new look" issue that sent Superman in a different direction, that kind of thing? I think you've gotten some good suggestions already, some of those Neal Adams covers are classics. One is significant because of it's "no more kryptonite" storyline. First appearance of The Parasite is a cool one too.

Because I respect people opinions in something I know very little about.

What don't you know about? Investing? Who cares? You know what kind of art you like and what kind you don't - that's all you need.

I just thought if I could track down an important book that's not going to break the bank it would mean more to me then buying one with a pretty cover that's meaningless.

Why would it mean more to you if you don't know anything about it?

1 go to ebay

2 type in superman CGC

3 click the silver age category

I just did it and a nice Superman 184 CGC 9.0 popped up for $99.00

scrolling down a bit

another Superman #111 from 1957 in CGC 4.0 was only $49.00

good luck

Good advice

Very presentable. Maybe not as secure.

I don't mean to be rude but how would you define secure?

I just thought it would be nice to have a couple inexpensive unique or important covers/story lines to go up on my wall.

Ok, I think I understand better. You just want help identifying important events in Superman history, covers that the hobby thinks/agrees are iconic, turning points in Superman's life, a "new look" issue that sent Superman in a different direction, that kind of thing? I think you've gotten some good suggestions already, some of those Neal Adams covers are classics. One is significant because of it's "no more kryptonite" storyline. First appearance of The Parasite is a cool one too.

One of my favorites, inexpensive.

250px-Superman75.jpg

Superman Man of Steel CGC SS - Doomsday fight on eBay for less than $20 with a few hrs left

Action Comics 419: This is by no means an expensive comic, but it's a favorite cover of mine and would look sweet on your wall:

ActionComics419.jpg

It's also a pretty rare artist teaming, with Neal Adams pencils and Murphy Anderson inks.

Superman 233: Also not particularly expensive, but a great cover, again by Neal Adams:

Superman+%2523+233.jpg

Make sure you get one with Curt Swan interior art-you dont wanna spend a bunch of money for wayne boring. I can help you ID int artist if you see an issue you like-comic vine is not always accurate.