• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Told ya DD would be a BIG hit at the box office!!

39 posts in this topic

>>A man blinded as a youth carries on his pledge to his dead father to ensure justice is done, and in the end, avenges his father's death.

That would actually be a pretty serviceable story, if that was actually what Daredevil was about. As in a beginning-to-end, single-minded, revenge-based plot a la Death Wish.

I'd pay to see that, but that's not the central storyline the movie follows in the least. I think it would have been an excellent choice to pit DD vs. Kingpin from start to finish, instead of introducing all the extra characters and the extraneous fights and sub-plots.

Geez......you must've really hated Daredevil. You attack it as if you're being paid per insult. Hmmm........

I also think the only way to get a realisitic view of this movie from a comic book fan's perspective would be for it to have been a generic superhero movie with a new character.

If an unknown "Super-Senses Man" movie had opened up with the same content, acting and story, I highly doubt it would attract so many supporters on here.

OK, i just saw DD and the movie was OK, the best part of the movie to me was the bullseys seen with the fly. the dialogue sucked, and the story sucked, it was too short and needed to be longer. but it was a marvel movie so i liked it. BTW X2 looks really frickin good! shocked.gifgrin.gif

But Die Hard and Star Wars were obvious POS movies.

Along with Citizen Kane, Jaws, the Wizard of Oz and the Godfather right? tongue.gif

Sorry, but DD isn't fit to wipe Star Wars', um, feet.

Now, My Big Fat Greek Wedding was the biggest piece of tripe that I have ever seen. I want my 90 minutes back.

Kev

And my 800+ DVD collection has actually lowered the bar for me. I'm fascinated by the film-making process... but DVD collecting has replaced comic collecting for me.

With new comics I'm willing to tolerate a lot for the sake of the collection. Collecting by character, creator (artist/writer/both), company, genre, etc.

With DVDs I'm also willing to tolerate a lot, collecting by actor, director, genre, etc. Heck, if the extra features look interesting enough I'll give it a shot.

In that respect, Daredevil fits into my must-have "keeper" list of DVDs simply because it's a Marvel film and because Colin Farrell made a great Bullseye.

Kev

I have to agree with joe_collector and a few others -- DD was average at best. And the biggest problem I had wasn't with the storyline or even some of the "I'm reading from cue-cards" dialogue; rather, it was the casting. My view on action/adventure movies is that they are only as good as the 5 or 6 most central characters in a story. My basic premise is that for each main character that is portrayed inadequately, the worse the movie is. My ratings for DD:

Ben Affleck/Daredevil - C+ (slightly miscast, too much brooding, not dynamic enough onscreen)

Jennifer Garner/Elektra - B- (ok, but not spectacular; I can think of at least several other actresses -- even lesser-knowns -- who would have fit the role better)

Colin Farrell/Bullseye - A- (well-cast)

Michael Clarke Duncan/The Kingpin - C (slightly miscast; came across as too likable -- he was just like every other "bad" businessman in every movie I've seen; I would have chosen someone "uglier" for this role)

David Keith/Battling Jack Murdock - A+ (perfectly cast)

Jon Favreau/Foggy Nelson - C- (sorry, but he just doesn't come across at all like the legal type; anyone would have been better in this role...even John Goodman)

Conclusions: 2 out of 6 with one undecided (which ironically, is probably how I'd rate the movie -- 2 out of 6 stars or 4 out of 10).

>>And my 800+ DVD collection has actually lowered the bar for me. I'm fascinated by the film-making process... but DVD collecting has replaced comic collecting for me.

Hey, join the club. I've got lotsa comics, but I haven't bought anything in a long while, and I'm always at the shopping center each weekend picking up 1-3 new DVDs. Bought Chinatown and Last of the Mohicans last weekend, and it was definitely money well spent.

As for DD, even though I'm a big Marvel fan, I'm gonna pass. Part of me would feel dirty if I supported this kind of non-movie making with my dollars. They might take it as a reason to make more like that (shudder).

>>What don't I "GET"? The bad acting, lousy dialogue, terrible story, ripped off action sequences, stupid voice overs, MTV video like sequences, or the hack directing?

Nope, I think you pretty well got it covered. grin.gif

I guess not "GETTING it" means not playing along with the program, and blindly supporting comic book movies regardless of merit. If it's comic-based, just shovel down the [!@#%^&^] with a big smile!