• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cowabunga! Eastman's Marvel Tryout Piece for TMNT-Daredevil crossover

7 posts in this topic

Rumors of a proposed TMNT-Daredevil crossover are true...30 years ago!

Kevin Eastman drew this Marvel tryout piece for a TMNT-Daredevil crossover in 1985, just months after publishing TMNT #1 and as Marvel's Daredevil enjoyed peak popularity under Frank Miller. This huge DPS (18" x 24" on Craftint paper) features TMNT's leader Leonardo and Daredevil in tandem-- a pairing of fearless heroes with similar if not linked origins. Among the largest and most detailed TMNT drawings, Eastman went all out to impress Marvel with incredible character details and depth/shading techniques. I love the striking composition and how both characters appear to jump right off the page!

iI0Zb7YR_0602140655071.jpg

Click for larger image

As you may know, Eastman and Laird conceived TMNT as a direct parody to Marvel's Daredevil…the traffic accident and truck carrying radioactive waste causing the turtles mutation was an allusion to Daredevil's origin, if not the very same event (i.e., canisters rolling into the sewer mutating some baby turtles into cowabunging ninjas!). The name "Splinter" is a parody of Daredevil's master, "Stick". The Foot clan of ninjas is a parody of Daredevil's "The Hand", Blind man and blindfolds, Hell's Kitchen, etc.

14837191647_69fa0f8ce3.jpg

Unfortunately, Marvel declined (perhaps a regret given TMNT's global popularity). Perhaps Marvel and Nickelodeon might reconsider and one day bring these characters together. :wishluck:

Today, TMNT remains as popularity as ever with a 2014 movie reboot and 30th Anniversary celebrations with IDW comics, Nickelodeon animated cartoons and pop culture treats. Recently, collectors have seen some incredible Eastman TMNT artwork and memorabilia hit the market, so I'm proud to add this unique and brilliantly executed piece to my collection.

I've been wondering where this piece went. I was going back and forth about it, even emailed Kevin about it. Alas I didn't bid at the last minute, still regret it. Beautiful page and a very big congrats on getting it!

Very cool piece and congrats!!

So a bit more info on the piece. This was originally apart of this massive TMNT collectible find from Hawaii I believe. He collection was sold just about all at once once the buyer of the house it was in took over. They had movie props, toys, and art, almost all turtles though they did have some star wars as well. A woman sold off all of these pieces primarily through eBay though some through email as well. So that bit about being in Talbots collection im not too sure about, esp if you're strickly basing that off of the inscription.

Regardless its a beautiful piece and one of the larger of the earlier TMNT artworks there is. Enjoy it!!

Also, its true that through about 1985 they were actively interested in a Marvel team up or acquisition. There are a few other pieces out that have some fun pairings Marvel characters. I have a couple myself with Thor and another Wolverine. They are some of my fav pieces so I know you must get great joy out of this awesome pickup!

Thanks to everyone on this forum and CAF, I've discovered more details about this unique piece and learned that "Eric" in the inscription is OA collector/friend who acquired the piece directly from Eastman at SDCC during the 1980s. :applause: