• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ASM 121 and 122 - a lesson in pressing posted by mattinglymint23

5 posts in this topic

ASM 121 9.2

ASM 122 6.5

what a little distributor ink won't do...

I posted a fresh journal to highlight the topic as some members posted interest in hearing about my pressing experience during my first (4 free) sub.

I've owned this set of 121 and 122 since 1989 - i actually bought the 122 first and remember (carefully) reading it once or twice... the 121 i read once. i am in the middle as to wether i regret the fact that i didn't use more scrutiny as a 14 year old when buying these books and reject them on the distributor ink issue... as keepers in my collection, it bothers me less.

I brought both (along with ASM 39 and 136) to the June Con in NYC and had a dealer take a look for his thoughts. he suggested pressing the 121 as the bends on the back cover were not creases nor was there any color break - the distributor ink appeared to be light enough that it wouldn't severely hamper the grade.

the 122 has a color breaking crease running across the bottom quarter of the BC (it starts on line with the image on the BC, from the spine, then trails down - you can zoom in and see it up close, though its faint). some other minor bends were apparent and the distributor ink was (obviously) more prevalent. i took a shot with the pressing as i intend to keep this (as well as the 121) for the long haul. For the record, the dealer suggested not wasting the money on pressing the 122 as the crease on BC would not come out.

Conclusion, pressing did help the 121 as evidenced by the result and the grader notes - which i purchased out of curiosity to also gauge how well i make my own notes and if i should move to florida :)

I hope this info and the pics is helpful for others when determining if a press is right for their books... happy to hear thoughts and feedback. Thanks.

http://imgur.com/v91Ldh5.jpg'>a>

http://imgur.com/ZH6LIRG.jpg'>a>

121 Grader Notes:

Spine Distribution Ink

Whole Book Otherwise Beautiful

http://imgur.com/OGnB6A9.jpg'>a>

http://imgur.com/qaqwpvU.jpg'>a>

122 Grader Notes:

Full Bottom Back Cover Distribution Ink

Full Bottom Back Cover Large Crease

Full Left Back Cover Distribution Ink

Full Right Front Cover Distribution Ink

See more journals by mattinglymint23

Here are the images - clickable for high resolution

v91Ldh5l.jpg

ZH6LIRGl.jpg

121 Grader Notes:

Spine Distribution Ink

Whole Book Otherwise Beautiful

OGnB6A9l.jpg

qaqwpvUl.jpg

122 Grader Notes:

Full Bottom Back Cover Distribution Ink

Full Bottom Back Cover Large Crease

Full Left Back Cover Distribution Ink

Full Right Front Cover Distribution Ink

I am not concerned about the distribution ink. That is pretty common for mostly bronze age comic books.

The crease is a grade killer that was why you got 6.5 on #122.

I made the mistake to crack the case that had 8.0. I could see the crease just like your book. Joe Kubert signed Brave and the Bold #34 then my book came back 6.5 even though I put the old 8.0 label in the bag and still got 6.5.

Tough one. You still gotta love that book though signed and all

I gotta figure based on my 121 that the dist ink knocks grade down a notch or 2. I feel like its a 9.6 book without the ink - again just an attempt to quantify te impact of one defect over another.

I'm happy to have both books slabbed as is ( for now ;))