• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Would this be "slight", "moderate" or "extensive" resto?

11 posts in this topic

I recently purchased a GA book on ebay, in which the seller made no mention of restoration. The book has no back cover (which I knew when I bought it.) On the front cover, it looks like three corners have been added back in (each about maybe 0.25 to 0.5 square inch of new paper with color touch), plus about 5 small tears seals along the edge. If I were to send that to CGC for grading, what level of resto would that be - slight, moderate or extensive?

difference between moderate and extensive is quite subjective. think you could get both grades if u sent it in a few times.

def not slight tho.

I had a M(P) one which said tear seals added, color touch and spine reinforced and another which was Ext(P) with the same notation

This was ages ago tho so am not sure if they have clear distinctions now, doubt it.

difference between moderate and extensive is quite subjective. think you could get both grades if u sent it in a few times.

def not slight tho.

I had a M(P) one which said tear seals added, color touch and spine reinforced and another which was Ext(P) with the same notation

This was ages ago tho so am not sure if they have clear distinctions now, doubt it.

I imagine it's also a matter of degree of resto - I've had books that CGC listed as Slight Restoration with the same notation.

I imagine it's also a matter of degree of resto - I've had books that CGC listed as Slight Restoration with the same notation.

yes, you're probably right. and cgc has come up with inbetweeners with their 'slight/moderate' and 'mod/ext' descriptions to sit between their previous Slight/Moderate/Extensive.

They also have a A, B or C to indicate the level of work done.

Doesnt really matter to me but its going to change the pricing for these books.

Wonder how it will impact the GA market.

I recently purchased a GA book on ebay, in which the seller made no mention of restoration. The book has no back cover (which I knew when I bought it.) On the front cover, it looks like three corners have been added back in (each about maybe 0.25 to 0.5 square inch of new paper with color touch), plus about 5 small tears seals along the edge. If I were to send that to CGC for grading, what level of resto would that be - slight, moderate or extensive?

I can't see it getting more than moderate.

Here's a scan of the inside cover. You can see three corners appear to be replaced, plus maybe 4 more patches along the edge:

th_daring_zpsc76a88c0.jpeg

OK - what does the other side look like? I have seen this kind of damage but not necessarily from restoration. So a flip side scan would be very helpful.