• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What Do People Think of this Distributor Coding?

23 posts in this topic

Could this book be a Mile High or (gulp) a Hawkeye?

The coding is nearly identical to the coding on the Silver Streak that sold on CC a while back, which is designated as a Mile High on the CGC label. I've never seen a Catman #30 slabbed as a Mile High, and the copy in Gerber isn't coded. It wouldn't surprise me if some of the L. B. Cole issues had been sold off before Ernie photographed the run.

Would anyone care to speculate?

Catman30Acropped.jpg

Screenshot%20(1).png

Best I can offer is they do look to have been done by the same hand. That aside, does the condition match up to the collection's reputation? It's certainly worth looking into. :)

The Catman is fairly fresh looking and was graded 8.5/WHITE (not by CGC), so it's within the realm.

Here is another vaguely similar example I found online; I can see the somewhat sloppy D on the Atoman evolving into the esoteric symbol on the Silver Streak & Catman books. On other Mile High books, I've seen D's written sideways that start to approach the look of the one on the Atoman.

I think it's worth noting that the Catman is from December of '45, the Atoman is from February of '46, and the Silver Streak is from '46 (no month). So thus far, the codes with that look are fairly close chronologically.

Atoman1.jpg

I mentioned this story before. In the early 80s while I was in college, a local dealer had the entire run of Church Cat-Mans. I was not a GA collector nor did I have deep pockets but I bought the #13. It is a Gerber no show. I really didn't think about it much. Kept the book in my collection and subbed it as one of my early submissions. I did not mark it as a MH but CGC called and told it was (had to pay for a higher grafting tier lol ). Scan below.

So with that said, I know the run was broken so entirely possible in my opinion that it could be the Church copy and the photo is not the Church. Oh by the way, the #13 cost me a whopping $60 which a load for me back then.

2612122021211.jpg

I mentioned this story before. In the early 80s while I was in college, a local dealer had the entire run of Church Cat-Mans. I was not a GA collector nor did I have deep pockets but I bought the #13. It is a Gerber no show. I really didn't think about it much. Kept the book in my collection and subbed it as one of my early submissions. I did not mark it as a MH but CGC called and told it was (had to pay for a higher grafting tier lol ). Scan below.

So with that said, I know the run was broken so entirely possible in my opinion that it could be the Church copy and the photo is not the Church. Oh by the way, the #13 cost me a whopping $60 which a load for me back then.

2612122021211.jpg

:applause:

Great book and story.

Much better than "I bought it on Heritage".

So with that said, I know the run was broken so entirely possible in my opinion that it could be the Church copy and the photo in Gerber is not the Church. Oh by the way, the #13 cost me a whopping $60 which a load for me back then.

Thanks. I noticed I left out a few words. Added above in bold. The pic of #30 in the Gerber Journal may very well not be the Church, IMO. But the experts may know for sure.

2612122021211.jpg

Great book and story.

Yes but not near as good as "I fought and killed 20 Arctic wolves before retrieving it from the center of a glacier and then dodging the lava and poisonous ash of an erupting volcano."

2612122021211.jpg

Great book and story.

Yes but not near as good as "I fought and killed 20 Arctic wolves before retrieving it from the center of glacier and then dodging the lava and poisonous ash of an erupting volcano."

lol Now we know how you got all those great books.

2612122021211.jpg

Great book and story.

Yes but not near as good as "I fought and killed 20 Arctic wolves before retrieving it from the center of glacier and then dodging the lava and poisonous ash of an erupting volcano."

lol Now we know how you got all those great books.

explains a lot actually hm

Code looks about right on it. The "smell test" (along with a few other tells) will certainly swing the answer one way or another pretty easily.

I`m still trying to understand how the concrete basement that we`ve seen pictures of would impart anything but a generic musty, dank basement smell.

Code looks about right on it. The "smell test" (along with a few other tells) will certainly swing the answer one way or another pretty easily.

I`m still trying to understand how the concrete basement that we`ve seen pictures of would impart anything but a generic musty, dank basement smell.

Some people's *spoon* don't stink.

Out of curiosity, what does a church book smell like?

Most people equate it to a cedar smell. Books from the later part of the collection have a slightly different smell.